Am I Divorced?

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
undefined
Hi everyone this is my first time posting, but i've browsed thru the website a couple of times.
I think its great!
Looking today in the legal side i found Q&A about divorces in DR.
I"m a US citizen and i got married in the DR with my then boyfriend who is dominican. We went on vacation from here to visit family and ended up getting married down there.
About a year after we separated and decided to get a divorce.
We went to the Dominican Embassy in NY and got a letter to authorize a lawyer over there to divorce us; about 6 months later he sent us the "divorce paper" they state we are legally divorced, but in reading something in the divorce pages, it stated that one of the divorcing parties has to be present...neither of us were there.

Am i divorced or what?

Another question is, am i legally divorced here in NJ were i live?
I have never brought my papers to anyone here (as far as federal or state agencies)

If anyone can help me with these questions...please do. :(

soon

Jul 11, 2004
JANET/NJ said:
undefined
Hi everyone this is my first time posting, but i've browsed thru the website a couple of times.
I think its great!
Looking today in the legal side i found Q&A about divorces in DR.
I"m a US citizen and i got married in the DR with my then boyfriend who is dominican. We went on vacation from here to visit family and ended up getting married down there.
About a year after we separated and decided to get a divorce.
We went to the Dominican Embassy in NY and got a letter to authorize a lawyer over there to divorce us; about 6 months later he sent us the "divorce paper" they state we are legally divorced, but in reading something in the divorce pages, it stated that one of the divorcing parties has to be present...neither of us were there.

Am i divorced or what?

Another question is, am i legally divorced here in NJ were i live?
I have never brought my papers to anyone here (as far as federal or state agencies)

If anyone can help me with these questions...please do. :(

Hi Dear,
I am sorry to hear that you are divorced but live goes on. In connection with your request I would have gone to the Department which legalize marriages in NJ and post them such a question. One day you might want to get married and they probably would ask you certain questions and they would tell you what they need from you to consider your divorced legal. Have a blessed day

soon

Jul 11, 2004
soon said:
Hi Dear,
I am sorry to hear that you are divorced but live goes on. In connection with your request I would have gone to the Department which legalize marriages in NJ and post them such a question. One day you might want to get married and they probably would ask you certain questions and they would tell you what they need from you to consider your divorced legal. Have a blessed day
Let me know what is the response as I might be moving to NJ

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
Since your ex-husband is a Dominican and you got married in the DR, you probably obtained a normal mutual consent divorce instead of a quick divorce for foreigners. If that's the case, you have nothing to fear because in a normal mutual consent divorce the parties can both be represented by power-of-attorney and there is no need for either spouse to be present.

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
Last Question

Thank You For Your Responce...expert
My Last Question Is...is There Anything That I Have To Do Here In The U.s.?
I Remember Having To Go To The U.s. Embassy In Dr To Get A Letter From Them Stating That I Was Single.

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
Divorced in NJ?

Based on what Mr. Guzman has stated regarding mutual consent divorce, you would be divorced in NJ too.