cigarettes?

guar

Jul 13, 2004
Is it ok to take a carton into the DR for personal use? What are the prices for cigs. in the DR?

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
BigCity27 said:
7 bucks a carton...

not sure where you are coming from....but i am not sure why you would want to bring a carton of cigs when they are soooooo cheap in the DR. I guess if have a specific brand that you want....They have Marlboro & Marlboro lights and a few other american brands.

sauce

Jul 5, 2004
I like the sounds of $7 a carton but i hate american smokes.
Do they have any Canadian brands? Belmont Milds, du Maurier, Players etc? If so are they $7 a carton as well? Are the american ones $7 a carton or is that for a local blend?

I didn't even think of this.

thanks

sauce

BigCity27

Mar 4, 2004
sauce said:
Do they have any Canadian brands? Belmont Milds, du Maurier, Players etc? If so are they $7 a carton as well? Are the american ones $7 a carton or is that for a local blend?
Marlboro's were $7 when I was in Higuey (June) & Sosua (April.) My cousin bought a carton of Palace Cigarettes (a Dominican smoke) for $4.50 & it came with a free lighter. I didn't see any Canadian cigarettes, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. The Marlboro's they sell in the D.R. are made in Santiago by Leon Jimenes, the tobacco in my opinion is much better than the one's they sell in the U.S.

guar

Jul 13, 2004
BigCity27 said:
Marlboro's were $7 when I was in Higuey (June) & Sosua (April.) My cousin bought a carton of Palace Cigarettes (a Dominican smoke) for $4.50 & it came with a free lighter. I didn't see any Canadian cigarettes, but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. The Marlboro's they sell in the D.R. are made in Santiago by Leon Jimenes, the tobacco in my opinion is much better than the one's they sell in the U.S.
Any winstons down there?

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Canadian cigarettes!

:dead: Brackkkk...why would you want those "yucky" Canadian cigarettes with the picture of a dead lung on it anyway....I have a full pack of Canadian Trade-A at my house if you want them...I'll stay with my Dominican Malboro Light! Oh and you won't find Canadian brands here, been in the country for the past 10 years and never seen them so you might want to load up at the duty free shop in Canada! ;)

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Duty Free, Leaving

sauce said:

I didn't even think of this.

thanks

sauce

You will find Craven A, Rothmans, and a couple others leaving the DR (also leaving the USA usually ) at the duty free - when you arrive, if at SDQ airport, you "might" be able to do duty free at the shops you encounter before migracion - I have always seen them and never shopped a them, maybe they have CDN cigs.

In town, other than the regrettable Nacional brand at about 2 cents a pack and smelling like buring horse poo, it is DR produced Marlboro Red, Gold or Green at about RD$250 a carton, so around US$6 a carton - you can kill yourself for 1/10 the cost of NYC smokes.

The cigar shop in Boca Chica sells a few non DR brands, some US and I think some UK, for a lot of money, and presumably in the capital you might find more.