Scotia Bank CD Interest rates

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
Does anyone know what interest rate Scotia Bank is currently paying for peso cds ? Has the rates gone down with the Peso ?

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
CD interest payment

jerryme said:
Does anyone know what interest rate Scotia Bank is currently paying for peso cds ? Has the rates gone down with the Peso ?

The Bank of Scotia in Sosua are paying 18% on the peso certificate deposit for 30 days. I think the Banco of Santa Cruz are paying around 24% on the same amount which is 1 million pesos.

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
Guys, I checked with Banco Popular about 2 months ago, they were paying 24%. Is Banco Popular a safe place for CDs?

Sanson

Apr 14, 2003
Banco Popular is the biggest bank in the Dominican Rep. Also, Its the more secure.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Sanson said:
Banco Popular is the biggest bank in the Dominican Rep. Also, Its the more secure.
I think quite the opposite. I don't think it is safe to put your money in Banco Popular nor do I think it is safe to use an atm there. Search Popular on this board and read some of the horror stories.

Scott

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
hrm, how much is scotia bank and citibank paying for 12month cd's?

which *safe* bank has the highest cd interest rate?

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Anoeca

What interest rate is Anoeca paying on dollar accounts? Is this a national finance house or is it only found on the North Coast?

gringo in dr

May 29, 2003
Safe banking and the DR do not belong in the same sentence.

While some will tell you otherwise, there is NO safe bank in the DR at this point and time. You are rolling the dice. Only deposit what you can afford to loose.

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
I was just thinking of testing the waters with a small cd. I know nothing about the rates in DR for cd's. Can somebody post the current rates for DOLLAR cd's in DR along with minimum dollars required?

also, while surfing the web I found a website which gave a description of banking in DR. I dont live in DR and have only gone there for a weekend but am wondering based upon the opinions of those who live there and have conducted business there whether or not this is an acurate portrail of the banking situation.

http://www.thedominicanrepublic.net/Banking_Information.html is the site.

Last edited:

Riu

Jun 11, 2004
gringo in dr said:
Safe banking and the DR do not belong in the same sentence.

While some will tell you otherwise, there is NO safe bank in the DR at this point and time. You are rolling the dice. Only deposit what you can afford to loose.

Gringo, then in what DR bank can I do my banking even if is limited to my daily expenses and withdrawals. I have Citibank in U.S. and Argentina and so far no problems. Is Citibank in DR O.K.?

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jcarn said:
I was just thinking of testing the waters with a small cd. I know nothing about the rates in DR for cd's. Can somebody post the current rates for DOLLAR cd's in DR along with minimum dollars required?

also, while surfing the web I found a website which gave a description of banking in DR. I dont live in DR and have only gone there for a weekend but am wondering based upon the opinions of those who live there and have conducted business there whether or not this is an acurate portrail of the banking situation.

I wouldn't do business with him. I looked at his website and he charged 500 US dollars to open up a Bank account in the DR when it costs nothing but the money you deposit. I also haven't been back to his website since.

Scott

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
jcarn said:

I think, jcarn, you will find that this article was written BEFORE the Baninter collapse, & is thus a little dated!!

jcarn

Jun 28, 2004
escott:

I wasnt really thinking of doing any business with that guy at all. I was just thinking of opening up a small bank account or CD with citibank on my own on my next trip to DR.

Lamabada:

Baninter collapse? what's that?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
jcarn said:
escott:

I wasnt really thinking of doing any business with that guy at all. I was just thinking of opening up a small bank account or CD with citibank on my own on my next trip to DR.

Lamabada:

If you SERIOUSLY don't know, do a search using search function, type in words like Baninter, scandal, bank collapse, etc. Baninter went down in 2003 leaving a debt of 55 billion pesos, Mejia decided to repay those with large sums invested (his supporters/family etc) & voila one of the reasons for the economic mess we're in today. Subsequently, other banks were found to be having "difficulties".

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
jcarn said:
escott:

Lamabada:

I would keep bank deposits in the DR very small especially if you are depositing US Dollars. Baninter was the biggest bank in the country that failed because of a major fraud. The government bailed them out for the most part and is suffering because of it. Other banks in the DR were/are in trouble also. Just because it is CitiBank from the US if there is problems here in the DR like there were in Argentina and Ecuador before that you will NOT be protected.

Scott