Going off the edge in Constanza?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
An article, "Temen que Constanza quede incomunicada", in the Friday, July 16th, edition of El Nacional caught my eye about the deteriorating condition of the mountain road that extends from the autopista Duarte to Constanza. A group of Constanza civic officials, organizations, religeous, and others gave mention of potential landslides on the road have threatened to isolate the area. This alarm is closing off supplies and tourist trade access. Various shippers of goods have suspended transport for fear of going off the road. PJT last traveled the road October last and observed even in a good state the artery has to be traveled with extreme caution. My question to one who may have used it recently, has it really deteriorated to such a state that the main users are now balking at traversing it? Is it more of a political posture to get the attention of the incoming government to Constanza's need to improve the road infrastructure..... or the both of the previous?

Regards,
PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Escott,

I have traveled the road at least once or twice a year and have found it passable. You are advised to not travel it at night or during rain storms, that is a given. However, the article in El Nacional, if you take it for what is says, is the truck and other service drivers have stopped traveling it because of the landslide dangers. This reported behavior is not the norm because as some of us have experienced, road hazards are not an obstacle to native drivers wanting to get from point A to point B.

Regards,
PJT

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Wasn't there a report

That a bridge was out, also?

It seems that they never get a break up there.

HB

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
PJT said:
Escott,

I have traveled the road at least once or twice a year and have found it passable. You are advised to not travel it at night or during rain storms, that is a given. However, the article in El Nacional, if you take it for what is says, is the truck and other service drivers have stopped traveling it because of the landslide dangers. This reported behavior is not the norm because as some of us have experienced, road hazards are not an obstacle to native drivers wanting to get from point A to point B.

Regards,
PJT
Honestly it was no worse than the drive from POP Airport to Sosua. I bet the Iraq Airport looked better after the US bombed the hell out of it! LOL

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
Haven't been up there for a couple of yearsm but I have to laugh when I hear about Dominican truck drivers quitting a route for fear of road hazards, I have yet to see a worse hazard than the trucks themselves.

When I did go up there, my Dominican guide told me, "do NOT swerve to avoid collision on this road, you have amuch better chance to survive the oncoming cars than the cliff."