Sterling, Dollars Or Pesos!

StephenRawling

Jul 12, 2004
:confused: Hi everyone, :confused:

Thanks for all the help with my last two questions, my next questions is probably a bit easier i think. As i am travelling with my girlfriend and we intend on signing up for a lot of excursions, what sort of money should we bring with us? US dollars? Pesos? UK Sterling or even EURO's i have heard someone talk about???? And a bit of a tricky question, how much money would we be needing, i mean for a trip every day for 5 days? plus probably two rounds of golf at playa dorada or playa grande? if anyone can give me a little pointer that would be good. We are staying all inclusive so dont need to worry about meals etc

thanks for your help.

Dec 9, 2002
Hi Stephen. My advice would be to take US$ - the exchange rate from sterling is still pretty good at the mo, they are easy to get, easy to spend in DR, you probably won't get pesos here in England anyway.

How much you will need for your trips really depends on where/who you book through. If you book via your rep you will pay top price because you are paying for the rep's commission. If memory serves me right you are staying at the Iberostar - either go to the mall at Playa Dorada just up the road and book there, or book with the guys on the beach. They are cheaper. Don't listen when the rep tells you it is not safe, or they are not insured, or the trips are different - they are all lies which the rep will use to try and protect her commission!

Can't help with the golfing costs I'm afraid, I don't play - hitting a little ball round a field is such a waste of Brugal time :cheeky: :cheeky:

StephenRawling

Jul 12, 2004
Martin Espinal

Dominican Babe said:
Hi Stephen. My advice would be to take US$ - the exchange rate from sterling is still pretty good at the mo, they are easy to get, easy to spend in DR, you probably won't get pesos here in England anyway.

How much you will need for your trips really depends on where/who you book through. If you book via your rep you will pay top price because you are paying for the rep's commission. If memory serves me right you are staying at the Iberostar - either go to the mall at Playa Dorada just up the road and book there, or book with the guys on the beach. They are cheaper. Don't listen when the rep tells you it is not safe, or they are not insured, or the trips are different - they are all lies which the rep will use to try and protect her commission!

Can't help with the golfing costs I'm afraid, I don't play - hitting a little ball round a field is such a waste of Brugal time :cheeky: :cheeky:

I was thinking about booking all of my trips with Martin Espinal? I have read so many reviews about his trips and i have not heard a bad one yet. Just dont really now what to expect from the DR. Could i ask how much money you normally spend in the DR. So far i have 1000 dollars, so i am glad you said the best currency was dollars.

Thanks

Listerrose

May 31, 2004
You don't need a lot!

Whenever we (Scottish couple) travel to DR we take US$ Travellers Cheques - easily exchanged for currency (US$ or Pesos).

As for how much - like DomBabe says depends who you're booking through, it sounds like you've already decided to trust the many honerable people on DR1 (keep up the good work guys - it's appreciated) so I should think what you have should be plenty already - I've seen us travel with ?500.00 sterilng and come home from a fantasic holiday with a deposit for our next trip! NB we don't go on organised tours every day.

Have fun and roll on 18th Sept!

PS. make sure you get some small US$ bills for tipping.

Last edited:

StephenRawling

Jul 12, 2004
Over cautious!

Well i am a real bad one for being over cautious and i have tried to prepare myself for 1000 sterling, maybe i will have some spare for more rounds of golf then! shhh keep it from the girlfriend!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Don't tip in US Dollars. Tip in Pesos. Most of the Dominicans don't even know what they are getting in Dollars. I think you need more than 1000US dollars for your trip judging by your excursions and golf.
Scott

Dec 9, 2002
Wow ! ! !

US$1000 will give you a great time I'm sure. I think the first time I went I took around ?300, went on loads of trips and still came back with some! You've obviously seen all the recommendations for Martin Espinal - give him a ring and have a chat with him. He will tailor your trips to whatever you want to do, you'll probably have a far better time than on the normal run of the mill tours. Keep us posted!