Bus or plane from Puerto Plata to Punta cana??

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Does anyone know if I can take a bus or a plane from Puerto Plata to Punta Cana? The reverse is also necessary. From Rio San Juan to Punta Cana and back is also a possibility. I checked the Caribe Tours website, but did not see any stops in Punta Cana.
Please assist.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Thank God there's a Search Function on the Board

Not that you seem to be aware of it, but give it a whirl. This comes up about every 2 days. I am surprised you can't find the current posts.

Caribe/Metro go from the capital to and from the North. There is a Higuey bus and a bavaro bus to and from the capital. There apparently is a wing-n-a-prayer little airline that flies for $80 between the 2, which searching will reveal so this is a good time to get cracking.

There seems to be an increasing # of tourists flying into PUJ presumably based only on price vs. convenience or sensibility, who then get online and start finding out how to get to POP or Sosua, raising the question - why don't they fly into POP to start with? What a dismal start and end to a vacation, 7-10 hours on buses.

mmilone

Mar 25, 2003
Buses to Punta Cana

Rick, thanks for the reply. After my post, I did start the research, and found that there is the airline that flies from POP to PUJ for $80. Looks scary though, but only takes 1 hour which is good. I don't believe in flying to one part of the country, and then have the need to take a bus to another distant part just to save some money; not worth it. I may only consider flying into Santiago rather than POP to save some cash. I want to spend a few days in POP, and then I need to meet people in Punta Cana; that's my situation. I haven't found the bus info. yet, but I guess I would have to bus it to the capital, and then north, which is rough. Air Santo Domingo flies from POP to PUJ, so that's a possibility.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
mmilone said:
Rick, thanks for the reply. After my post, I did start the research, and found that there is the airline that flies from POP to PUJ for $80. Looks scary though, but only takes 1 hour which is good. I don't believe in flying to one part of the country, and then have the need to take a bus to another distant part just to save some money; not worth it. I may only consider flying into Santiago rather than POP to save some cash. I want to spend a few days in POP, and then I need to meet people in Punta Cana; that's my situation. I haven't found the bus info. yet, but I guess I would have to bus it to the capital, and then north, which is rough. Air Santo Domingo flies from POP to PUJ, so that's a possibility.

The ASD may not be true there seems to be a mix of they do/they don't /they do posts here. As for the puddle-jumper planes, cut the buttons off your shirt and store them in your pocket to save on weight before take-off.

I wouldn't fly is a practically unregulated small airplane in the DR if you paid me the $80 times 100. You know the FAA won't allow DR owned airlines to fly into the USA, even the ones that appeared to be DOminican ( Aeromar, RIP, etc.) were leased jets from approved airlines in other parts of the world.

Punta Cana is so eminently missable as a destination unless you are an AI aficianado fly into STI or POP and skip the thrillride entirely. And $160 a ride and 1/2 the day pissing around at airports is a waste of money and time.