Need advice?

J

Jason

I am planning a trip with 3 other coules to the DR in January, February of 2000. We are looking going to wither Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. Can anyone recommend one place over the other. We like activites and night life. Does Puerto Plata offer more things to do than Punta Cana. Also, could anyone compare the resorts Bavaro Palace and the Paradisus?

J

Jim Hinsch

Search the resort database. This has been the topic of much discussion in the past. Puerto Plata offers much more activities outside of the resort. Punta Cana has a much nicer beach and is located in a rural part of the country.

I have stayed at both Bavaro Palace and the Melia Bavaro, which is connected to and for all practical purposes, the same resort as the Paradisus. The Melia Bavaro/Paradisus is nicer and the Bavaro has more activities. However, one can walk outside of the Melia hotels into the shopping plaza next door to experience night life outside the resort whereas a taxi would be required to do the same from the Bavaro Palace.

There are reports on both of these resorts here in the library. I suggest you go with the Paradisus unless you want to mingle with the local culture day and night, then I would suggest Puerto Plata area (which generally includes Puerto Plata the city, Playa Dorada, Sosua, and Cabarete), specifically, Sosua, which has the best night life in the area and the nicest beach. I personally did not like Puerto Plata (the city) at all, thought Playa Dorada's beaches were not the best and was a bit downscale and touristy for my tastes although still a decent value, and I did like Sosua, especially for the price.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

L

Loren

I have stayed in Puerto Plata, Sosua and Bavaro. I dont know about the Melia, but if Jim says its better than the palace, I want to try it out in September.

Bavaro Palace is located on a much nicer beach than on the north coast; it is part of a huge complex with everything you need right there, though it is away from any development, so you cant just leave the grounds and go party elswere too easily.

I found the service and accomodations far and away better at Bavaro than the north coast, though if you fly into Bavaro and stay there, you will never really see the Dominican Republic. In Puerto Plata, you can be out in a city around regular people, if you choose.

The service at Bavaro gets an A- or B+. Esplanada Sosua gets a C. Bavaro Palace cost me $178 per night for 2 people, Esplanada cost me $110 for two. Both all inclusive.

If you want to see the Dominican Republic, go to Puerto Plata, Sosua. If you want a luxury resort, go to Bavaro / Punta Cana.

P

Phyllis

NightLife rules in Puerto Plata/Sosua area, you will love it! So much action and lots to do, day and night!

K

Kelly Squier

Hi, I stayed at the Melia Bavaro in Dec. 98. I thought it to be a great place if you're looking for a relaxing, romantic getaway. The rooms were spectacular, we plan on returning soon. We visited the Pardisus while were there. The rooms at the Paradisus were 1/2 the size of the Melia's, very sapcious and luxurious. IF you stay at the Melia Bavaro, do ask for an upper floor suite, as they have cathedral ceilings. Any questions do not hesitate to email me at kellys@echo-on.net.

W

William Gorham

How does the private schools in San Franciso de Macoris compare to the public schools in the United States , because we are thinking of moving a child from The Dominican Republic to the U.S. and we are concerned as to if he will be placed in the same grade he is leaving form.