General Aviation in DR

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
This is my first post on RD1, so hola to all!!

I have vacationed in the DR often in the past, and love the land and especially the people.

I plan on visiting the DR several times in the coming months, with the thought of possibly spending at least 6 months after the first of the year deciding whether I want to move there for most of the year, permanently. I would still maintain a lake home in Tennessee. I will be using the POP/Sosua/Cabarete area as home base.

I will be flying my private aircraft down, and want to learn more about General Aviation services in the Dominican Republic, particularly in POP.

Any information that can be provided to me is most welcome. Feel free to PM me.

TIA-

Robert aka cobraboy

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
cobraboy said:
This is my first post on RD1, so hola to all!!

I have vacationed in the DR often in the past, and love the land and especially the people.

I plan on visiting the DR several times in the coming months, with the thought of possibly spending at least 6 months after the first of the year deciding whether I want to move there for most of the year, permanently. I would still maintain a lake home in Tennessee. I will be using the POP/Sosua/Cabarete area as home base.

I will be flying my private aircraft down, and want to learn more about General Aviation services in the Dominican Republic, particularly in POP.

Any information that can be provided to me is most welcome. Feel free to PM me.

TIA-

Robert aka cobraboy

Robert

What do you fly? I hope you don't expect to find the equivalent of FAA certified A&P's in the DR

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There are a small number of private aircraft based at POP airport. Common sense says do your own refuelling, or at least stick around while it is being done - not just to make sure you get the amount on invoice, but also to ensure you don't get avtur instead of avgas or vice versa!! And pre-flight very carefully.....people here just love new "toys"!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
KrackedKris said:
Robert

What do you fly? I hope you don't expect to find the equivalent of FAA certified A&P's in the DR
I fly a fairly new C182. Are there any mechanics in the area if I really need one? Where would one have to come from?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Lambada said:
There are a small number of private aircraft based at POP airport. Common sense says do your own refuelling, or at least stick around while it is being done - not just to make sure you get the amount on invoice, but also to ensure you don't get avtur instead of avgas or vice versa!! And pre-flight very carefully.....people here just love new "toys"!
I would agree with your common sense statement. What is the FBO in POP, if something like that exists? Any chance of a phone number? Thanks!

Not a good thing to mix avgas and avtur... :paranoid: :nervous:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
POP airport admin is listed as 586 0209, this is offered somewhat hesitantly as these things seem to change quite frequently! I'm from uk so our terminology is different - is FBO the equivalent to what we call General Aviation Services? Either way, it is all rather different here. Maybe the Tower would be your best bet? At least they will speak your language (aviation wise) - listed as 586 0234. I think over here people tend to discuss things face to face more (difficult from the cockpit, I agree!). Contact some of the commercial pilots who fly in here (A.A. Continental etc) for their take.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I can give you one lead

Try and meet up with Mairen? Bournigal at Deposito Ferretero (586 6465; Fax 586 4298). He does some flying (and so does his brother) and I am sure he can fill in your questions..

HB :D:D