Controlling the Stray Dog Population in the DR

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Killing of whales

Jasper said:
i heard recently that japan and possibly norway were trying to buy votes on intl body that voted years ago for protection of whales - though both countries kill whales for scientifice purposes (!). i heard that both countries were trying to buy votes from caribbean countries in order to turn the tables on the europeans, aussies, new zealand, usa/canada and end moratorium on killing of whales for fishery purposes. anybody know if hippo is in on this? sounds like his style.

I am sure Greenpeaceusa.org would supply you with a list of countries involved---- for and against !
Changing the subject, has anyone read about the 15,000 stray dogs being posioned in Athens, Greece !

Last edited by a moderator:

KrackedKris

On Vacation!
Apr 8, 2004
Rosemary said:
I am sure Greenpeaceusa.org would supply you with a list of countries involved---- for and against !
Changing the subject, has anyone read about the 15,000 stray dogs being posioned in Athens, Greece ! Would also like to hear opinions on how they feel this problem should be dealth with, considering the over-population of dogs in the D.R.

Are these some sort of "Dog Whale" you refer to?

Serioulsy, I am a dog lover and think a NEW thread would be appropriate

Norway and Japan do not kill whales for scientific purposes, it is a comercial money making operation

Last edited by a moderator:

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
KrackedKris said:
Are these some sort of "Dog Whale" you refer to?

Serioulsy, I am a dog lover and think a NEW thread would be appropriate

Norway and Japan do not kill whales for scientific purposes, it is a comercial money making operation
I agree about the new thread, but wasn't quite sure how to start one ! DUH !!! New to computers and forums ! but i will get the hang of it !

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Rosemary, to start a new thread, go to the default page of the Forum you think the subject is most appropriate for, and at the top lefthand side is a button marked "new thread."

The issue of dogs in Greece you raise has no real DR link and in any case is a hijacking of the whale thread, so further posting on it in this thread will be deleted.

Regards,
Your Environment Forum Moderator :glasses:

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
KIlling of whales

Keith R said:
Rosemary, to start a new thread, go to the default page of the Forum you think the subject is most appropriate for, and at the top lefthand side is a button marked "new thread."

The issue of dogs in Greece you raise has no real DR link and in any case is a hijacking of the whale thread, so further posting on it in this thread will be deleted.

Regards,
Thankyou Keith, will try to do better !!

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Dogs!

Keith R said:

Regards,

Keith, can I talk about the Greek Stray Dog situation on a new thread, as I have noticed there are a lot of stray dogs in D.R. and I am deeply concerned that the same solution will not be permitted to arise In the D.R ?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The DR has a very "Humane" way of controlling the "Stray Dog Population"!

They allow the dogs to slowly starve to death in the streets! Lack of food,and weakened by disease,their death comes slow and with much pain!!
Now it is NOT the dogs fault,but the fault of the Dominican People that this takes place here.I would much prefer to die a rapid death from poison,rather than to linger for many agonizing months waiting to go!
But that is just me! I can't speak for the dogs!!

Cris Colon

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Rosemary said:
Keith, can I talk about the Greek Stray Dog situation on a new thread, as I have noticed there are a lot of stray dogs in D.R. and I am deeply concerned that the same solution will not be permitted to arise In the D.R ?
Rosemary, I have split the thread so that the original thread-starting post actually stands a chance of being answered.

I'll permit a discussion of control of the stray dog population in the DR in the Environment Forum, even though I have my doubts that it is the appropriate forum (probably "Living" or "Other" fits animal welfare issues). But if you continue discussing dogs in Greece without a clear-cut DR linkage, it will be edited or deleted.

This is a board about the DR, not about Greece, dogs or the Olympics.

Regards,
The Environment Forum moderator :glasses:

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Keith R said:
Rosemary, I have split the thread so that the original thread-starting post actually stands a chance of being answered.

I'll permit a discussion of control of the stray dog population in the DR in the Environment Forum, even though I have my doubts that it is the appropriate forum (probably "Living" or "Other" fits animal welfare issues). But if you continue discussing dogs in Greece without a clear-cut DR linkage, it will be edited or deleted.

This is a board about the DR, not about Greece, dogs or the Olympics.

Regards,
The Environment Forum moderator :glasses:

Thankyou Keith ! To the issue then ! I dont feel the stray dog problem is the fault of the Dominican people entirely, they have a hard enough time keeping themselves alive ! But I do feel the Govt. should play a much bigger role than they do ! If they can spend money to build a library without books,surely they could build a few animal shelter's !

Chester4

*** Sin Bin ***
Feb 12, 2004
Criss Colon said:
They allow the dogs to slowly starve to death in the streets! Lack of food,and weakened by disease,their death comes slow and with much pain!!
Now it is NOT the dogs fault,but the fault of the Dominican People that this takes place here.I would much prefer to die a rapid death from poison,rather than to linger for many agonizing months waiting to go!
But that is just me! I can't speak for the dogs!!

Cris Colon

It was only this afternoon while I was at a bar called the Jungle Juiced in Sosua beach that I saw a stray dog so weak and thin that it could not eat the food it was offered. It was truly a sad sight.

A couple of years ago Judy's Pet Lodge had a group of Vets that came down from Santiago rounded up the stray dogs and cats and sterilised and treated these animals. We took a stray dog we found and waited at Judy's Pet Lodge for around 4 hours for this dog to be treated. These Vets and Judy did a wonderful job and as far as I know this happens on a regular basis in Sosua. Judy depends on donations which we were happy to give.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Rosemary said:
Thankyou Keith ! To the issue then ! I dont feel the stray dog problem is the fault of the Dominican people entirely, they have a hard enough time keeping themselves alive ! But I do feel the Govt. should play a much bigger role than they do ! If they can spend money to build a library without books,surely they could build a few animal shelter's !
Yeah thats the ticket. Maybe we should ask them to grow the government some more. Maybe a couple of more relatives so they can play a bigger role.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Scott's sarcasm aside, I think I tend to agree with his underlying point: you can't look to the the government to solve this one. Probably better to set up & support a private network of places such as Judy's that will treat and sterilize. Maybe the government could provide facilities in some places, but the service itself should not be left to the government -- not if you want anything to actually get done!

My two cents.

Regards,
Keith

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
stray dogs should be poisoned or shot on sight. In addition to being disease vectors the large ones kill valuable livestock. The rest of the time they are spreading trash through the streets.

Also they can be dangerous when they run in packs. My wife was once threatened by 3 strays in our own backyard. When I went out to chase them out, they acted aggressively toward me as well. I am just glad my 2 year old wasnt outside that day.

If it doesnt have a collar, put it down.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Oh yeah - kill dogs with no collar

Long before I owned them, my dogs were mistreated and had a terrible time of it. Kindness and dedication have meant that today we have two utterly dependable, sometimes cute and very reliable guard dogs. Cheaper than any other form of security - The one problem? They will not under any circumstances wear a collar and you would never get near either of them with one in your hand either. They will not be "owned" by anyone any more. They leave the grounds of my house to go to the toilet - they never make a mess, - they take themselves off to the jungle for exercise and would never beg or harm anyone they may come across but apparently you'd have them exterminated.

Drop 'round some time - I've told them all about you - they'll be waiting!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
We just have to teach the Dominicans to enjoy "Dog",

the same way they enjoy "Cat"!
No "Dog" problem in China,or "Cat" either!

Great story on "7 por7" Roberto a few years ago about a guy they call "El Gato".Makes a good living catching,cleaning,and selling cats!

We just need some guys called "El Perro"!

Cris Colon :bunny: :eek:gre: :eek:gre: :bunny:

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Chester4 said:
It was only this afternoon while I was at a bar called the Jungle Juiced in Sosua beach that I saw a stray dog so weak and thin that it could not eat the food it was offered. It was truly a sad sight.

A couple of years ago Judy's Pet Lodge had a group of Vets that came down from Santiago rounded up the stray dogs and cats and sterilised and treated these animals. We took a stray dog we found and waited at Judy's Pet Lodge for around 4 hours for this dog to be treated. These Vets and Judy did a wonderful job and as far as I know this happens on a regular basis in Sosua. Judy depends on donations which we were happy to give.

Thank heavens there are still some people like you Chester ! Would you know how I could make contact with Judy ! i would like to help !

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
sjh said:
stray dogs should be poisoned or shot on sight. In addition to being disease vectors the large ones kill valuable livestock. The rest of the time they are spreading trash through the streets.

Also they can be dangerous when they run in packs. My wife was once threatened by 3 strays in our own backyard. When I went out to chase them out, they acted aggressively toward me as well. I am just glad my 2 year old wasnt outside that day.

If it doesnt have a collar, put it down.

You have to remember , we humans domesticated dogs for our enjoyment and protection ! The dogs did not create this horrific situation ! We did, through a lack of responsibility and quick fix cop-out answer's like your's !

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
There is also a volunteer group in Puerto Plata, which goes into the barrios giving dogs their annual shots etc. I believe Noelle of Sofy's B&B is involved.
If you're reading this, Noelle, tell the good folks what you do.

Gabriela

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
My Dominican pooch

The nicest souvenir I ever found in the DR was with a wee, 4-6 week old pup that I brought home with me to Canada. He was tiny, sick and about to die. Now he is medium sized, healthy and so beautiful that people stop me on the street to ask about him. I tell them that my darlin is a rare Dominican beachhound. But he's faithful and loving. While not as bright as my Canadian born mutt, he's definitely got generations of street smarts. The cost to bring him home was $25 for shots, $50 for the charter home, and $34 at the airport.