Banninter!! Yet Again? The "Luck 80"!!

T

TiberiusMineola

In reading various accounts of the Banninter scandal, 14 years' worth, various commentators have stated that only 80 poeple owned 75 % of the deposits whose total losses the Hippolito Gov't reimbursed, all at taxpayers expense. The law provded only for reimbursing 500,000 Pesos of each individual's loss, according to seemingly knowldegeable press reports. Sine the total reimbursed by the Govt/ was approx 2,200,000,000 [you read that correctly BILLION] pesos, the luck 80 individuals had a lot of money on deposit. This represented 15% of the GDP of the DR! Question: Who are the 80? Wouldn't public exposure inform the Dominican people exactly who had been taken care of, all at public expense. Are all gov't records public documents in the DR? Does any one know who the 'Lucky 80' are? Can anybody find out? Will Leonel tell us? Any relatives of politicians? To be continued - I hope.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
TiberiusMineola said:
Question: Who are the 80? Wouldn't public exposure inform the Dominican people exactly who had been taken care of, all at public expense. Are all gov't records public documents in the DR? Does any one know who the 'Lucky 80' are? Can anybody find out? Will Leonel tell us? Any relatives of politicians? To be continued - I hope.

The 80 are most likely people who borrowed the money first to make the deposits in the first place, thus accomplishing the goal, won't repay, the Bank fails , the Gov't steps in and gives your (borrowed) money back, without any requirement to pay it back.

The remaining questions would, I suspect go like this: No, Yes, Yes, No, Yes

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Since the IMF seems to be exercising "pressure" for the bank owners to be brought to justice, maybe some of this information would come out then........yeah, I'm equally cynical!!
And Tiberius, I know it FEELS like 14 years, but it is 14 months since May 2003!

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
This guy is a shameless moron.

Hippo was qouted as saying ?The country has to be above the individual interests.?

How could he say that without choking?

He can't actually know what that really means, can he?

And nothing will be done because they keep the people ignorant. Open your eyes !

Sorry, already posted this under 'Living' One Ratty Government... but I do not think it can be said enough.

Gary

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
People, don't waste precious air and brain cells thinking, despising, and trying to even have a conversation about Hippo the Traitor. I stopped ever since he declared Leonel the winner of the elections back in May.

Look, August 6 is in two weeks, why even bother talking about the demon that finally will be something of the past!

I will say this though, on August 6, after the switch of power all of Hippos liquid assets should be frozen and he should be put under prosecution for not doing the best he could to pull the country out of this disaster. In fact, his fortune of $3 million (so he says, I think that has grown in the past 4 years), his property assets, his company, and any other income generating venture he may have should be confiscated by the new government and used as forms of payments to the debt this no good traitor exascerbated.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
It's August 16th correct?

I just hope that the more I and other keep saying this, it will happen. It's a karma thing.

And yes I agree that him and all the fortunate 80 cough up some too.

Gary

deelt

Bronze
Mar 23, 2004
This is the question expounded over the last few weeks. What a joke. You have the highest ranking members that took part in this sayin g...I dunno? duh, me? It's a good laugh to see people squirm.

TiberiusMineola said:
In reading various accounts of the Banninter scandal, 14 years' worth, various commentators have stated that only 80 poeple owned 75 % of the deposits whose total losses the Hippolito Gov't reimbursed, all at taxpayers expense. The law provded only for reimbursing 500,000 Pesos of each individual's loss, according to seemingly knowldegeable press reports. Sine the total reimbursed by the Govt/ was approx 2,200,000,000 [you read that correctly BILLION] pesos, the luck 80 individuals had a lot of money on deposit. This represented 15% of the GDP of the DR! Question: Who are the 80? Wouldn't public exposure inform the Dominican people exactly who had been taken care of, all at public expense. Are all gov't records public documents in the DR? Does any one know who the 'Lucky 80' are? Can anybody find out? Will Leonel tell us? Any relatives of politicians? To be continued - I hope.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Tiberius got it right! It IS 14 YEARS!

Estimates go back as far as 14 years that the Baninter fraud has been going on! Balaguer,"Leonel",and "Hipolito" were all rceiving their "share"! Hipolito just made the poor people of the DR pay for the "Bail Out"!

As always; "The RICH dance,and the POOR pay the band"!!!!!!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I been rich,and I been poor,and rich is better! :bandit:

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Sorry, your facts aren't right,Tiberius!

Your story is ALMOST right, Tiberius.

Except it was 2.2 billion U.S. DOLLARS, not pesos. DOLLARS!

And 87 account holders held about $1,600,000,000 of that money, who were then reimbursed by the Central Bank for their trouble. On average, about US$18,400,000 for each account, or at the current tasa, about RD$812 million pesos EACH.

Apr 26, 2002
Tiberius' question remains: Who were the lucky 80? I know I'd like to know - especially since they enjoyed absurdly high rates of interest while their money was in the Baninter in a situation that for any normal investor would have screamed "risk"!