Denaturalization of Dominican Citizens

RhadamesUlloa

Jul 27, 2004
Are there any cases in the Dominican Republic where a Dominican citizen has been stripped of his/her citizenship after joining a foreign military (e.g, U.S. Army)? In the alternative, is there a database or any other way where I can research this topic?

While Section II, Articles 14 and 15 of the Dominican Constitution refer to loss of citizenship by those that take arms against the country, Article 21 of the Dominican Civil Code refers to loss of citizenship by those that simply join a foreign military without authorization of the Dominican government. Are there any cases which discuss/interpret these laws??

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rhadames

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Have not heard of any case.

The DR government position has been to encourage Dominicans living in the US to get US nationality so these may become civicly more active in that society and have more rights.

Last edited:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
My son (also member of this board) was stripped of his Venezuelan passport when he approached the Venezuelan Consulate in Miami and was asked his line of business (at the time he worked for the U.S. AirForce). Also, my boss during seven years, was stripped of his Dominican nationality, by decree of former President Balaguer, for no specified reason, but this was very understanble. Both my son and my boss (now deceased) held dual nationality, one of which included U.S citizenship. However, at that time dual nationality was prohibited by law The DR has since changed this with the new constitution of 1994, and Venezuela followed suit, with the new Bolivarian Constitution, which allows multiple citizenship and elliminates other restrictions, such as serving in a foreign army.

Mirador

RhadamesUlloa

Jul 27, 2004
Thanks

Mirador said:
My son (also member of this board) was stripped of his Venezuelan passport when he approached the Venezuelan Consulate in Miami and was asked his line of business (at the time he worked for the U.S. AirForce). Also, my boss during seven years, was stripped of his Dominican nationality, by decree of former President Balaguer, for no specified reason, but this was very understanble. Both my son and my boss (now deceased) held dual nationality, one of which included U.S citizenship. However, at that time dual nationality was prohibited by law The DR has since changed this with the new constitution of 1994, and Venezuela followed suit, with the new Bolivarian Constitution, which allows multiple citizenship and elliminates other restrictions, such as serving in a foreign army.

Mirador

I had forgotten about the dual citizenship, however, in our case, if this guy were a citizen he wouldn't be facing removal. He is a legal permanent resident.

Thanks though.

RhadamesUlloa

Jul 27, 2004
Fabio J. Guzman said:
I don't know of any case in which a Dominican has been stripped of his nationality for violation of Art. 21 of the Civil Code.

Thank you for your time and feedback Mr. Guzman, I appreciate it.