DR1?ers get together

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
On Friday afternoon, around 4pm, Tonya and I rolled into Santo Domingo?s Zona Colonial, and met up with Jan. She directed us to a tourist section located just off of the Cristobal Colon Park and Cathedral Monument, one of the oldest developed sites in the Caribbean.

We found Jan drinking cold El Presidente in front of a gift shop with several of her friends, and decided to join in until it was time to go to the Beer House for the get together. Time seemed to fly by and before we knew it, it was 6:30pm. Just enough time for a quick shower and a change of clothes. We dropped Jan off at her place and proceeded to our hotel.

The Hotel Conde de Penalba, is quaint and very charming. Overlooking the Cristobal Colon Park from our balcony one is surrounded by the sights and smell of the area. Looking down you can feel the vibrancy of the tourist and locals as they stroll along the vast walkways of the park. A little expensive at, $3,300RDP per night, the charm and romantic atmosphere makes up for the costs.

In true Dominican fashion we picked up Jan at 7:20pn knowing full well that we would be late for our arrival at the Beer House, we arrived at 7:50pm. I gathered up some chairs and 2 tables hoping others would arrive soon. We ordered some drinks and snacks hoping that others would soon arrive.

At around 8:30pm three lovely ladies approached our table, they introduced themselves and the partying began. Gyslaine (Canadian), Gingerale (Canidian), and their friend from Argentina, all DR1 posters, were a wealth of information, having been in the DR for 8 years. Additional drinks were ordered and the food arrived at the table just in time for all to enjoy.

Jan and I had made several calls to Andrea9k who assures us that she and her friend Ines will show. By this time Jan?s friends, Momasitta, and guest had joined in also. At around 9:30 Andrea9k and Ines finally arrive. Charlie is now in hog haven, surrounded by 8 women.

The party broke up around midnight and Jan suggested that go to the Meringue Festival. We loaded me, Tonya, Jan, Momasitta, Andrea9k and Ines into my rental car and away we went. The Festival was a mass of humanity, a large stage setup much like an American concert. Lots of vendors selling drinks and food gave it a carnival atmosphere. People were packed shoulder to shoulder almost as far as the eye could see, all dancing and moving to the beat of the band performers. Personally I hate crowds, so after about an hour I was ready to go.

I had offered to take everyone home but Jan decided to stay and return with Momasitta. After dropping off Andrea9k and Ines we headed back to the hotel, by this time it was around 2am. We had no trouble in getting to the Zona Colonial area but were held up in traffic for more than an hour with detours and the crowds of people enjoying late night entertainment in the disco?s and bars. Near the hotel I looked out the passenger window only to see Jan and her friends drinking at a local night spot. She invited us to join in but I explained that it was now 3am and that I am old and need some sleep. After a slap from Tonya for my comment, we were in our room at 3:15am.

What a great night of fun and fellowship with some great DR1 people. I hope we get the opportunity to do it again, soon.

Photos of the get together will be posted in the members Gallery soon.
Charlie

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Hey Charlie!!

Ines and I had a great time too!!! Even when I didn't have the chance to talk to gingerale and friends, I had a great time talking to you, Tonya and specially Jan!!! Jan, dear, I really loved to meet you. You are a wonderful woman, life has ups and downs, but what the heck, ups and downs are so relative....... it depends where you are looking from!!!

Mamita was the more energetic in the group, like she was the youngest!!!

I hope next time there will be more DR1ers to meet :)

Jess

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
great time

Thnaks Chucky and Tonya. It was a fun time. So good to meet more DR1 humans. And good ole Chucky was in his glory with all the women at his table. He never stopped smiling.

Thanks again all for the good night out

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Good idea

ERICKXSON said:
Hey when are we going to have a Santo Domingo Zona Colonial DR1 official Get Together?

That would be a real fun thing to do. Let me work on it.
Charlie