Santiago trip

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
On Monday afternoon my friend Raphael and I drove from La Romana to Santiago. We took highway 3 from La Romana to Santa Domingo and then highway 1 into Santiago, a trip of about 5 hours. I watched the country side pass by in air conditioned comfort, while the outside temperature peaked at 96 degrees.

We drove through some of the most beautiful parts of the Dominican interior. Parts of this country very few tourists ever get to see. Lush green mountain sides, orange groves and horse farms dot the landscape. Starting at Bonao you begin to see rice patties and other signs of large agriculture projects. You also begin to see a different looking Dominican population. More light skinned people than I ever thought existed in the DR. Beautiful women and handsome men, not to say that other people in the DR are not beautiful or hansom I was just surprised of the differences in overall appearance.

The cities of La Vega and Moca are a must see if you are ever in this area of the DR. Laid back little towns with warm and wonderful residents.

Once in the city of Santiago, we found the hotel that AZB had reserves for us, showered and had a few beers while waiting to meet DMS3611 and AZB for dinner. If anyone thinks there is a total economic crisis in the DR they should go to the section of Santiago where we had dinner. The restaurants were all packed with patrons, music was blaring and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves.

Once AZB arrived, almost an hour late, we had assembled one of the most diverse groups of humans ever assembled in the DR. DMS3611, every mothers dream come true (a gentleman and role model for all), Raphael, (a straight shooter, dedicated husband and father), AZB (every mothers worst nightmare, if her daughter is within 500ft of him), and me (somewhere between AZB and Raphael, leaning more to the AZB side). Yet in spite of our differences we had a great meal and some great conversation. I learned a lot and feel that our relationships with each other are lasting and can be beneficial to all involved.

Raphael and I met with Christa and Robert at the Pasta House for lunch on Tuesday. A very good business meeting in which a lot of ideas were exchanged; hopefully some of our thoughts can be implemented.

For those of you who only do the AI thing, you have no idea of what you are missing on you Dominican Republic visit.
Charlie

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
Thanks chuckuindy for sharing, I'm glad you had a great time!
On my next visit to the DR I plan to go see Santiago and I look forward to it! :classic: