Blue Moon in Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

dadli

Jul 23, 2004
www.bonairecaribbean.com
more info

Ok, we want to walk to dining from Albatross area. We want local eats. Not too tourist oriented. I will be with my Dominican bf so we can explore a little but again we have no car. Fish for sure...and again, local fare. Blue Moon will be for one night. Nothing that caters to the masses..small and intimate..

Hope this helps Peter and Alex ??

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
dadli said:
Ok, we want to walk to dining from Albatross area. We want local eats. Not too tourist oriented. I will be with my Dominican bf so we can explore a little but again we have no car. Fish for sure...and again, local fare. Blue Moon will be for one night. Nothing that caters to the masses..small and intimate..

Hope this helps Peter and Alex ??
Opinions will vary about where to go, but I can telll you that Albatross is at the western beginning of Cabarete and part of the pleasure is to just get over to the beach in the evening, stroll along and look into the endless stream of restaurants, until you find one that looks like the ideal place for you. By the time your vacation is over you might not even have made it to the other end of town.

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
In the DR intimate and quiet is hard to find. Try Tipica Mercedes in the Dominican housing community. Really good food at really good prices - go into the Dominican community from the main road and on the right you'll find Tipica Mercedes. Give it a try.

dadli

Jul 23, 2004
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Thanks Chris for your positive comment..and sincere help. Your suggestion is very welcome. And I shall post a trip report. Someone mentioned a small Bistro on some alley. A friend told me it's quite nice, small and intimate..I would love to know the name but shall find it.

Alex, I hope I find you wrong and can avoid noisey touristy spots..but you seem to know it all..thanks..

gjsuk

Apr 7, 2003
Bistro

dadli said:
Thanks Chris for your positive comment..and sincere help. Your suggestion is very welcome. And I shall post a trip report. Someone mentioned a small Bistro on some alley. A friend told me it's quite nice, small and intimate..I would love to know the name but shall find it.

Alex, I hope I find you wrong and can avoid noisey touristy spots..but you seem to know it all..thanks..

Funnily enough it's called Le Bistro!! Marlene's located in the same alley is excellent as well.

marina

Jan 2, 2002
www.kitexcite.com
i recommend that you also try Castle Club on the hill over from Blue Moon. It is truly a unique dining experience and the hosts make it extra special. Remember that both Blue Moon and Castle Club are by reservation only and require 6-8 people minimum 2 days ahead of time. You can call both and also try to join a group if you don't have enough people.

RE: your lcoation, your on the main strip of Cabarete. Mercedes is good in the Callejon for dominican restaurant serving seafood, as are El Tigre and Bar Bake (killer meat, cheap). In CAbarete, I like Pompardora down from Le Bistro. They serve this great pizza roll thing stuff with chees and tomatoes with arugula, blue cheese and tomato sauce. Locals love the chinese food place, and Sandro's cafe for dominican. A great breafkast place other than dick's and the french bakery on the main strip is a little restaurant lcoated in Casa Blanca, but I forget the name. Ali's surf camp in pro cab serves great churasco and pizza (I like the white sauce). The german place hexencastle serves huge portions for pretty cheap. Just outside Cabarete on the way to Sabaneta is Las Brisas de Rio Yasica. It is german owned but dominican run and specializes in seafood. Small restaurant located on the river. I also like the restaurant lcoated in Perla Marina's Natura cabanas. the chilean chef there serves great fish with pistacio sauce and baba ganoush at reasonable prices. Cabarete has a lot to offer in terms of dining experiences. Just be careful eating at typical dominican as the street power has been very poor, gas has been short, and people may not be on generator i.e. no refridgeration!

Peter & Alex

Bronze
May 3, 2003
www.rainbowsenddr.com
Update!!

Le Bistro is in US$ so personally we boycott him!!
Marlene's is a good people watching place as all and sundry pass by on their way to the beach - just don't sit at our table!! They also do Thai food but not on Sunday!
Las Brisas de la Yasica is no longer German owned - she sold up!! It's now called Paraiso de la Yasica and is owned by a young Canadian guy - good food and a lot cleaner than it used to be?
Ali's Surf camp in Pro Cab also does prehistoric Ribs!!! Huge!!!

dadli

Jul 23, 2004
www.bonairecaribbean.com
Thanks for all the info on Cabarete

I am so appreciative of the plethora of info provided. Our group will surely have some memorable dining experiences.

I just learned Albatross has no ac so we may need to find an alternative place. Any thoughts? We want to be near Carib Bic Center where I expect we will sail. AC and quiet is desired. I realize Cabarete is a hopping night spot but I do hope we can get a good night's rest.

Cheers

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
Blue Moon

BTW- Two nights ago was the official "Blue Moon." I hope you guys caught it. It was pretty cool. The next one not due for another 3-4 years (or somthing like that).
TEHAMA

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Peter & Alex said:
Le Bistro is in US$ so personally we boycott him!!

I thought it was only me that did this. When I was on the North Coast, after getting financially-raped (considering comparitive local prices) at Moura Mai in Sosua a few months back, I vowed never to step foot into another establishement who brazenly advertises in US $$$. Breezed past several of these establishments on Cabarete Beach as well.

Just my humble opinion, Cabarete/Sosua is in the DR, not USA. The DR is not dollarized, nor should it be a choice.

On topic, Cabarete is predominantly a tourist town. Most of the establishments on the strip cater to tourists, and are set up for such traffic, not for locals to frequent. For breakfast/brunch, at the opposite end of the strip in the Hotel Casa Blanca, a nice Canadian couple run a very good restaurant for those meals, but not dinner. Fairly reasonable at about RD$100.

Status
Not open for further replies.