all purpose lawyer

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
It's no secret that many conflicts and problems are resolved under the table or at least through "influence". The other day, my girlfriend had to spend several hours in a police station in Puerto Plata because someone falsely claimed she had run into his motoc oncho. With 2 very young children waiting at home, she had to wait until someone showed up to take a 3k peso bribe to releaser her from a situation that should never have existed.

I live in NY and speak very little spanish. In this case, I could not help her, and if it happened to me, I might be up ****'s creek as well. The situation did not upset her because she's a poor kid from SD, but I'm wondering if there is a way to be protected from this type of thing. No only the police, but problems with landlords or predators of any sort.

What I would love to have is a lawyer in the Sosua area that would be available and able to handle this type of problem. When I spoke to her on her cell phone and finally understood that she might have to spend the night at the police station, my 1st. thought was "call a lawyer". Of course we had no idea where to start.

Suggestions please! - D

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I understand how helpless you felt in this situation. I live in Puerto Plata & if it happened to me I would know exactly what to do, but if it happened to me in Santo Domingo it may be different (I'd probably still contact my Puerto Plata contacts!) It IS all about contacts. There are a couple of lawyers I can personally vouch for in these circumstances, in Puerto Plata. They both speak English, so you could phone them to discuss whether they'd be willing to assist in a future episode. Felix Mercado is the Judicial Translator for the Court, in English, German, Dutch etc etc. I think the number I have for him is out of date 586-5251, but if you PM TiberiusMineola he'll have up to date info. The other person is Genni Mendez, who is actually the British Consular Agent, 586-4244, or cellphone 1-707-2090 & he has lots of experience in negotiating with the police (helped by the fact that he used to be in the police himself parttime, at one stage). Both of these lawyers are straight & will not overcharge. Likewise in Sosua, there is Fabio Guzzman, the DR1 Board's Legal Expert, fluent English & if you search the DR1 Archives you will find he has many happy customers! Hope your girlfriend is over the incident now.....Dominicans accept this sort of thing much more than we foreigners who give vent to our outrage!

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks for your informative response. There's no way that I'll ever be anything but an outsider when it comes to the workings of Dominican life, but I can at least use my hard earned US dollars to pave some of the bumps in the road. - D

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Sure enough, as if discovering a cyst on her brain wasn't enough for this week, the landlord sent a laywer to my novia's apartment this morning essentially to try to scare her into vacating her apartment (he wants it for his own use.) I got the tearfull phone call this morning in NY, and thanks to Lambada's information, Genni Mendez was on the phone with her in 5 mins., comforting her and me as well. Thanks, Lambada and DR1. - D

timelessdreams

Apr 5, 2004
Never a doubt!

Ginnie....you ARE wonderful....and DannyW....Ginnie is a dear soul and I'm SO happy I have had the chance to meet her! Best of luck with your Novia and her medical condition. I'll be sure to say a prayer for her.

Best,
Susie

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Danny W said:
Sure enough, as if discovering a cyst on her brain wasn't enough for this week, the landlord sent a laywer to my novia's apartment this morning essentially to try to scare her into vacating her apartment (he wants it for his own use.) I got the tearfull phone call this morning in NY, and thanks to Lambada's information, Genni Mendez was on the phone with her in 5 mins., comforting her and me as well. Thanks, Lambada and DR1. - D

I'm SO pleased, Danny W. He doesn't often do things in 5 minutes! ;) You're welcome to contact me next time you're here, although I appreciate you probably have much better things to do with your time!
Tell your lady to get plenty of second opinions on that brain cyst, won't you? And prayers & good luck to her.

LOPTKA

Feb 12, 2002
Just wondering,,,, who is paying for all these problems she is having? Do you EVER doubt anything at all?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
LOPTKA said:
Just wondering,,,, who is paying for all these problems she is having? Do you EVER doubt anything at all?

I believe the brain cyst operation will be covered by medical insurance, the RD $3,000 was paid by someone else & Mendez is trustworthy not to pay out anything without checking it out first!! HOWEVER, I take your point & under normal circumstances, I would be checking out all these 'supposed' ocurrences & confirming for myself that they were just & actually paid to the people they are supposed to have been paid to!!! Seen far to many scams worked down here (some take months to come to fruition they areso complex & believable) to believe much of what I am told these days.

Pleae Danny, check them out thoroughly & make sure you are not being set up in ANY way. Tell Mendez of any concerns you have & I'm sure he will be quick to protect your interests!! ~ Grahame.
PS - Tell him (Mendez) I said 'Hi'. Won't get you anything cheaper for his work, but might let him know I am around!!!! - GB.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I'm a world class doubter. In this case there is no way I am being scammed, I am 100% sure of that, but whether I am assuming too much responsibility is something only time will tell. What I know for sure is that life is full of commitmentts, and without them, life is empty. I have made many mistakes in my life, but don't really regret any. They are the sum total of who I am, and right now I'm a pretty happy guy with a full life. One other thing I've learned inmy 60 years is that you pay (speaking of $$ now) one way or another. This DR venture ain't cheap, but if it weren't this it would be something else - cars, the stock market, restaurants, clothes, vacations... This is much better. - D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Danny W said:
I'm a world class doubter. In this case there is no way I am being scammed, I am 100% sure of that, but whether I am assuming too much responsibility is something only time will tell. What I know for sure is that life is full of commitmentts, and without them, life is empty. I have made many mistakes in my life, but don't really regret any. They are the sum total of who I am, and right now I'm a pretty happy guy with a full life. One other thing I've learned inmy 60 years is that you pay (speaking of $$ now) one way or another. This DR venture ain't cheap, but if it weren't this it would be something else - cars, the stock market, restaurants, clothes, vacations... This is much better. - D

Congratulations Danny!!!
As one of those who expressed concerns/doubts here let me say I am DELIGHTED to hear you have everything 'Under Control'. We 'Old 'uns' (I am 60 in a couple of weeks time) still have a LOT to offer this world & I can see you are doing AT LEAST your fair share of putting BACK into life what you have had out from it! More power to your elbow Sir - I take my hat off to you!!! ~ Grahame.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Thanks, Grahame. As far as being old - sometimes my back feels old, but fortunately or unfortunately mentally I still have not quite entered into adulthood. And no modesty intended, I'm definately getting more than I'm giving. Best to all - D