moderate priced hotel(s) in Santo Domingo

canajungirl

May 18, 2004
can anyone suggest some hotels that are clean and safe and moderately priced in Santo Domingo. Not an AI but in an area that has restaurants and nightlife.

Paulino

Jan 4, 2002
canajungirl said:
can anyone suggest some hotels that are clean and safe and moderately priced in Santo Domingo. Not an AI but in an area that has restaurants and nightlife.
Here is another option: http://hotelmetur.com Judging from his name, seems the owner is German or Scandinavian.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
canajungirl said:

What do you consider as "moderately priced"? The posters should be able to find a reasonable fit for your request with the price information.

Regards,
PJT

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
canajungirl said:

Check this archive:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-32213

I would pick Apart Hotel Plaza Florida, recently remodelated, they have a breakfast included rate. Phone number (809)541-3957, it is located in the Av. Bolivar, 3 blocks far from Av. Lincoln. It is very clean, downstairs is the Boga Boga restaurant, delicious spanish food, 3 minutes far from Plaza Castilla, where you can find Trio Cafe, el Bistro de Paris (bar cafe) and a great Brazilian Grill in the top of the building. You would be still near the Malecon (about 10 minutes far), where you can see how real dominicans have fun.

You would be 3 to 15 minutes far to all the places recommended in the archive.

If you are coming with a friend, you can share the room, they dont have a rate per person, they charge an extra fee for the second one.

Have fun.

Jess

emendoza

Mar 16, 2004
El Beaterio

We liked El Beaterio, in the colonial zone, about $40 US/night w/out AC or $45ish with AC. Very charming, small (10 rooms), formerly a convent, historical, no frills but good location, good price, secure, quiet, lovely courtyard & "lobby" area.

The manager spoke French & Spanish (no English but we don't speak other languages & we managed ok). But when you check in, get clarification on the exact price & method of payment (they only take RD pesos; and we were quoted in $US, so get your quote in RD becuase our reservation was booked for us & we had a little arguement over the exchange rate--he quoted in US but we had to pay in RD, and he gave us a horrible exchange rate but we argued w/him). Also, he can arrange a taxi for you, but I think he takes a nice cut, so get your own.

Here's a website but it's in French - http://www.repdom-resa.com/index2.asp?page=rechercher

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Habanera said:
Somebody I know mentioned "Pension Serena" in Ciudad Nueva to me and said it is a decent centrally located place and quite cheap. Since my budget for travelling is limited I am considering staying there for a few weeks. Can anybody inform me of his personal experiences in this small apart-hotel ?
Thank you

Why don't you tell us? ;)

riravaga

Feb 24, 2005
I have a friend that is looking for something like that, pls can some one give more info about the place?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
So subtle, this spam!

03-07-2004, 11:56 AM
Habanera
Bronze Join Date: Mar 2004

It is a good choice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the apartments you are talking about by personal experience since I have been living there for a few months.
Dr. Hans (administrator, speaking several languages) is a friendly man of Swiss origin. He rents out studios for fair rates. The rent includes cable TV service and I have never had any problem while I was living there.
If you are living on a low budget it is the ideal place to stay since it is located next to the colonial zone.
Link

04-28-2004, 07:42 PM
hansbert
Silver Join Date: Mar 2002

Pension Serena

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a small aparthotel under Swiss management renting out studios to foreigners for reasonable rates. It has cooking facilities and is located 5 minutes from the Colonial Zone. You may obtain more detailed information through hansbert@tricom.net
Link

principe

Nov 19, 2002
Mercur

This hotel is located in the heart of the colonial zone and i think rooms start at like $59 USD.

LatinoRican

Apr 11, 2004
hansbert said:
Aparthotel "Pension Serena" in Ciudad Nueva (next to the hotel Napolitano), centrally located. Enquiries to hansbert@tricom.net or Tel. 1 809 682 21 38
Minimum period of staying: 1 week. Weekly Rate: 60 USD or equivalent in RD Pesos

Wow!! 60 dollars a week for an apartment in Santo Domingo with all the conveniences!! That's less than $9.00 a day!! This sounds too good to be true!! Where do I sign up??

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
Chirimoya said:
So subtle, this spam!

Link

Link

Wow! Amazing! Chirimoya you should have been an undercover investigator-maybe you are- but why would this "habanera" play those games? Now everything this person states or asks about will be looked at with justified suspicion.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Chiri, PI? ;)
I stumbled upon this inadvertently. When I saw habanera's question about late declaration I looked at her posting history out of idle curiosity and noticed her accommodation recommendation. Next time she posted it was to ask for information about that very place. I imagine it's either someone associated with the business deliberately plugging it, or a genuinely satisfied customer in a misguided attempt to do the business a favour. DR1 mods are quite tough on spammers, but this one often slips through the cracks.