Tropical Depression Two

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
The National Hurricane Center of Miami, Florida reports that a tropical depression has formed in the tropical Atlantic East of the Lesser Antilles.

The NHC reports that tropical storm watches and warnings are likely to be issued later today for some of the Lesser Antilles. It also alerts that interests in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico should closely monitor the progress of this system.

The NHC reports that at 11 am, the center of the newly formed Tropical Depression Two was located near latitude 13.2 North... Longitude 54.2 West or about 460 miles... 735 Kms East of the Windward Islands.

The track of the storm has it passing north of the DR.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...harts&product=HurTrack3&prodnav=none&pid=none

For more on tropical storms in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

spike00lee

Jun 29, 2003
As someone who has close ties to the guys who fly the storms.. You will want to keep an eye on this system. At the very least there is going to be some weather in the islands this weekend. Hopefully it will not be too bad..

Dolores said:
The National Hurricane Center of Miami, Florida reports that a tropical depression has formed in the tropical Atlantic East of the Lesser Antilles.

The NHC reports that tropical storm watches and warnings are likely to be issued later today for some of the Lesser Antilles. It also alerts that interests in the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico should closely monitor the progress of this system.

The NHC reports that at 11 am, the center of the newly formed Tropical Depression Two was located near latitude 13.2 North... Longitude 54.2 West or about 460 miles... 735 Kms East of the Windward Islands.

The track of the storm has it passing north of the DR.

http://www.intellicast.com/Local/US...harts&product=HurTrack3&prodnav=none&pid=none

For more on tropical storms in the DR, see http://www.dr1.com/weather/hurricanes.shtml

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Bonnie will arrive by thursday, just checked Weather Underground

My Bonnie lies over the ocean, My Bonnie lies over the sea, My Bonnie lies over the ocean, Oh bring back my Bonnie to me. ...

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
Tracking Software

Has it currently at 35 mph winds.

Coming ashore to the west of SD, thru the country and POP @ 75mph winds.

Gary

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Now that my husband, the home weather expert, is abroad, can somebody translate this to me. In small words.

When is it going to hit us?
How hard?
Should I get extra insurance? :classic:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
My guess...

From an avid tropical weather observer (ever since Georges came by for a visit...) my amateur estimate would be that it should be here by tomorrow night but with the strong wind current to the north of us it shouldn't be able to gain much strength or form much. But it will come very close if not on top of us due to the strong south-north wind currents to the west of us which will push it our way. Did that make sense?

To make it short, we'll get rain, some wind and by Saturday everything should have cleared up nicely. Now I'll just cross my fingers and hope that happens... :classic:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Degeneration!

Two quotes from Advisory Number six from the National Hurricane Center...

"...Depression degenerates to a tropical wave in the eastern
Caribbean Sea..." and,

"This is the last public advisory issued by the National Hurricane
Center on this system unless regeneration occurs."

So, I guess we are home free this time!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Well, good riddance to the tropical storm. I'm flying down to S.D. tomorrow. And hopefully this will alleviate PIB's concerns too.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Do not write this storm off totally just because the NHC is no longer going issue public advisories. They did have a caveat on their last advisory, 5 pm AST today, indicating the storm has the potential to bring "gusty winds and heavy rains" to the island. Previous mapping by the NHC had the storm tracking over the mountains.

Regards,
PJT

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Definitions from the Hurricane Center

I thought these definitions make a lot of sense for us amateur tropical weather watchers.

Tropical storm: Tropical cyclone with winds of 39 to 74 mph. In most of the world, a storm is given a name when it reaches tropical storm intensity.

Tropical wave: A kink or bend in the normally straight flow of surface air in the tropics which forms a low pressure trough, or pressure boundary, and showers and thunderstorms. Can develop into a tropical cyclone.

Tropical storm warning: A warning for tropical storm conditions including sustained winds within the range of 34 to 63 kt (39 to 73 mph or 63 to 118 kph) that are expected in a specified coastal area within 24 hours or less.

Tropical storm watch: An announcement that a tropical storm poses or tropical storm conditions pose a threat to coastal areas generally within 36 hours. A tropical storm watch should normally not be issued if the system is forecast to attain hurricane strength.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Santo Domingo's starting to get a very nice, dark cloud cover due to the wave that's arriving and it's been drizzling for the past few hours. Looks like we'll have a wet afternoon and night... at least the temperature's nicer now...