Is dry ice available here?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I just got a call from my son, all hot and excited about some business: but he needs/wants dry ice??

Okey, is there any available?

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Thanks Wud,

If anyone cud, you wud! That's fer sure!.

I haven't got the faintest idea. I'll have some information in aan hour or so..

HB

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Maybe a hospital would know, HB....you know, for organs on ice and stuff?

According to this, it may be known as "hielo seco," "nieve carb?nica," or "?cido carb?nico s?lido."

BM!

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Years ago, I got some at the airport, from a company that catered to one of the airlines. You could consider importing it, say from Puerto Rico. Also, a dry ice plant is no big investment, considering the scale of course.

Mirador

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Fyi

A couple of people, at least, have the capacity to make it but as far as I have been able to find out, nobody is commercializing it.

Took me an hour of roaming the yellow pages and calling a lot of people...

I also fiound out that FedEx will no longer accept packages that contain dry ice...according to them the FAA has said no more dry ice...scary, huh?

HB

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Hey, I Can actually help!!!!!

You need to ask if you can buy CO2. Then you can make the machine to turn it into dry ice yourself. Many years ago I worked with a load of boffins at a science company and they would turn it out for me when I needed it for stage stuff. I seem to recall they would turn the cylinder upside down and let the gas jet out as liquid into an insulated box. It was that easy (I think) - or did I spend too long sniffing laughing gas?- I really can't remember for sure. - Anyhow DIY is the answer.