Last Desparate Days at AIJFPG

Apr 26, 2002
The days must be numbered for the CESA guard hacks at Las America Airport. Arriving on a business trip, I had only a small bag. No electronics. Not even shoes. No matter.

Depending on the day of the week, I can look Dominican or not. This confuses the hell out of police/customs types. At the Aduana, my Spanish is first tested. I stumble out a few intentionally mispronounced words: "What, huh, oh, yablow Espanyol poco okay." Customs looks to the next victim - there must be some Dominican Yorks to be hit up instead of dwelling on this gringo. But the CESA guy, he's shameless: "Algo para comprar refresco". "Are you kidding", I say, "I didn't even bring an electric shaver through customs."

On departure, for the first time ever, I got hit up by the CESA guy checking boarding passes at the entry point. Same deal: Check Spanish. Hear poor Spanish. Ask for softdrink money anyway. And the guy looked really sheepish about it - like maybe he was once actually conciencious about his job but that all the rules have changed in the last few weeks.

Then at the metal detector, my batteries are seized. But only the new batteries - not the ones already in my walkman or camera. Apparently new batteries are dangerous contraband, but not batteries actually in use (I'll try to buy my own batteries back next time I'm on Avenida Duarte). My can of insect repellent and matches are left unmolested.

Seems like the last desparate days of the hacks at Las Americas are here.