Playa Dorada -- Air travel

Rockkon

Mar 6, 2004
Well, its almost a week since we've been back from a 2 week vacation in the DR. Now that the glow and the pain have faded a bit I thought I'd write up our report.

If you guys do not support the competition to American Airlines you are all screwed. We paid nearly 1,000 USD for our tickets and both the flight to and from the DR was a nightmare.

The plane for our return flight was delayed (it was coming in from Miami) at the Puerto Plata airport. Still, when we finally landed, we had an hour layover in Miami to make our connecting flight. All we had to do was pick up our bags and carry them through customs. Except, the bags never came.

We waited and watched the chute until they showed up, finally, a good 30 minutes after our connecting flight left. In total four planes were delayed and no more flights were going out that Saturday night.

The wife and I now faced a two hour wait to get re-ticketed. Finally at the counter we had a choice of a 3:00pm flight or a 5:55pm flight. We didn't want any more stress and chose the Sunday's 5:55pm flight.

Of course, Sunday was the computer glitch that delayed all flights for a couple of hours, then the thunderstorm in Miami that closed down flights, then the slow cleaning crew and finally the missing flight crew.

Instead of getting home at 7:30pm (we gain 3 hours coming home) we ended up getting in at 1:30 Monday morning. Which, to our bodies, was 4:30am. We had planned to come home on Saturday so we had a day to chill before resuming work -- needless to say we were zombies all day Monday.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Miami Tips

1. Don't blame AA for the weather in Miami. They are a big airline but they don't make it rain or not.

2. For AI's two people should be able to travel with carry on luggage and skip checked luggage entirely. I have not checked bags since 2000 reagrdless of destination.

3. An hour is not enough time liuggage or not, to safely connect in Miami on any airline, the INS line alone can take an hour then the customs and luggage wait can be an hour and then the secrity lines can be another 30-45 minutes. I have taken as little as 32 minutes out the door to back past security to as much as 2 1/2 hours. The airport is not user friendly, regardless of carrier mostly due to the slow Homeland Serciruty touches due to the number of non American, non Canadian, non-green card holders who arrive. You know fingerprints and photos and such. That's why I am trying FLL this next trip as an in and out point.

AA is not that bad in terms of on time performance. You should complain and get some extra AA miles.