Customs taxes for personal items?

iderik

Aug 7, 2004
I wonder if anybody have experience of bringing personal item to RD like soundequipment (Home Movie System for ex) or musical instruments, and if there is any tax on bringing them even when they have been in your personal possesion for a long time and you have receips for the purchase of them? Is there any way to bring them in to the country without paying.. I am talking in case you are going to move there and stay..

/E

El Bori

Nov 22, 2003
Get acquainted with the term "macuteo"

Offer the customs agent a $20 dollar bill and he'll let you pass.

iderik said:
I wonder if anybody have experience of bringing personal item to RD like soundequipment (Home Movie System for ex) or musical instruments, and if there is any tax on bringing them even when they have been in your personal possesion for a long time and you have receips for the purchase of them? Is there any way to bring them in to the country without paying.. I am talking in case you are going to move there and stay..

/E

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Start with $5

and move up - that's assuming they even look in your baggage and they probably won't. A well padded suitcase beats the original box.

iderik

Aug 7, 2004
OK I will try with that... but my equipment will not fit in the suitcase, but I can make a special wrapping for it..

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And before you or anyone slags the aduana guys for trying to get some baksheesh, depending on what the thing is worth, if you flew here (Toronto) with it and tried to pretend it was yours (you know for use during your vacation) our customs would probably not believe you and ask for duty and taxes on it as well, and likely more than $20.

It's one thing to take umbrage at a shakedown on arrival for your luggage that is going back with you (or at security on departure and their quest for batteries, gum and lighters) and another where you are actually importing something for good and are really in all honesty trying to evade paying the import duties.