Dominicana returning home.

bonao1969

May 8, 2004
I am pretty new at this, but have read a LOT of posts about moving to the DR. There are a lot of horror stories about importing furniture, cars etc. My main question is, as an American with a Dominican wife who will returning home, will we have an easier time? Or should I still sell all and buy there? I know what I read on the Dominican immigration web sites, but would like some first hand information. Thanks.

bonao1969

May 8, 2004
Thank you for the reference page. I have read that and many more, so I know what is supposed to happen, but what really goes on? I am sure that most people moving there, (non-Dominicanas) could have real problems with customs, but is it really all that bad for returning citizens? Thanks in advance for any information.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
What we hear is that the transfer of household goods moves quite smoothly, especially when brought in a freight container. What is more difficult is the bringing in of a vehicle.

jlw919

Sep 18, 2003
Householdgoods to DR

Sent our household goods from Washington DC to Santiago last year (Sep) in a container using a company located in NY. Goods were packed and loaded at our home and arrived in Santo Domingo as scheduled. Wife had to go to Santo Domingo customs to get the goods released. Container was opened/checked and resealed there (nothing taken) and delivered to our home in Santiago where the seals were again broken and the furniture unpacked. We sent an entire container (lots of stuff generators, china, full Br suites et) and only had 3 small pieces of glassware broken. Cost (US$4500) to NY Shipper (500 Pesos to Customs SDQ). We were very pleased with the entire process (no hassels).