Activity ideasand things to do in Puerto Plata

Status
Not open for further replies.

hilljroberts

Aug 9, 2004
I've been looking over this forum for a while, and I'm looking for feedback on places to go/things to do in Puerto Plata/Cabarete/Sosua. My Wife and I will be coming down in September. We will be at Breezes Superclubs, and want to get off the resort and do some stuff, we will definitely be taking advantage of the free shuttle to Cabarete and Sosua. Here's are demographics and interests:

We're 25 years old and would be interested but not limited to snorkeling, scuba, cascading, horseback and 4-wheeler tours. We're fairly active. These were just the things we were already looking at. Any suggestions on companies to use/stay away from? I was looking heavily into Iguana Mama. We're not too into clubs, so we probably won't go out there at night. Probably just watch the resort shows.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

As a side note, Ocean World is not really an option. We live thirty minutes from Marineland, and my Wife grew up on a petting zoo with over 500 animals, so there's understandably not much interest in an animal park if you know what I mean.

hilljroberts

Aug 9, 2004
Yeah, I kind of knew about the travel page, but thanks. I guess I should have been more clear, I was more interested on local insight into these activities, or people's past experiences, and anything else that is related and/or worthwhile.

tondra

Dec 12, 2002
www.professionalsintouch.com
Try the malecon in Puerto Plata on the weekend

I was shown the malecon on a Saturday night when I was there in Feb. of 2003 by a Dominican AI gift shop worker. It was a wonderful experience to see a large part of the community out in the streets (literally) and enjoying food and music by all ages! I had never seen such a huge music speaker (it took up an entire flatbed trailer!), it shook our tiny cab as we passed by.

We then went down what seemed to be a side alley and entered a Dominican nightclub. It was so dark that our host had to show us to our seats by flashlight and the waiter used a flashlight to show us what we owed on our bill! :D

I would recommend talking to the staff of the AI where you stay and getting their impressions of what you should see. Knowing a little Spanish can go a long way. Put yourself in their place--wouldn't you be more helpful with someone who attempted English when visiting the U.S.?

Have a great time!

Tondra

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sadly, Tondra, Malecon is a little quieter these days, partly because of blackouts, partly because of economic downturn. But your advice to get out of AIs & into real Dominican areas still holds good.

Status
Not open for further replies.