What Should Leonel Do in the Environment Field?

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
As Robert and Dolores have said many times in the past, you might be surprised at who some of the Dominican readers of this board are. ;)

Pretending (for the moment) that you have the ear of Leonel, what advice would you give him on environment policy for the next four years?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In the current climate, focus on things that make short term economic sense as well as long term environmental (and by definition sustainable economic) sense, such as:

- switching to alternative energy sources as much as possible to minimise dependence on oil

- confronting the big polluters with their responsibilities: make them pay for the damage they have caused.

If possible:

- improve the urban public transport systems.

- run a massive citizen education campaign about individual responsibility for the environment in day to day life.

- crack down on poorly maintained vehicles which cause noise and air pollution.

- introduce a sliding-scale road taxation (placas) pricing system that discourages use of gas guzzling vehicles and encourages smaller fuel efficient ones.

- ban those damned plastic bags and polystyrene containers!

... it's not too much to ask for, is it?

Chiri

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am with Chiri on the noise, smoke & garbage problems. Create a Police (or similar empowered) force to issue on the spot fines - RD $500 being for payment on service of notice! If the person elects to go through the courts (i.e. he disputes the issue of notice) he pays a minimum of RD $10,000 if found guilty PLUS Court costs! The income derived from this will pay for the cost of the force plus a fair chunk of the National Debt I would think!! - Grahame.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
BushBaby said:
I am with Chiri on the noise, smoke & garbage problems. Create a Police (or similar empowered) force to issue on the spot fines - RD $500 being for payment on service of notice! If the person elects to go through the courts (i.e. he disputes the issue of notice) he pays a minimum of RD $10,000 if found guilty PLUS Court costs! The income derived from this will pay for the cost of the force plus a fair chunk of the National Debt I would think!! - Grahame.
Grahame, I seem to recall my suegra telling me that when they issued noise regulations (national, or just SD? I can't recall) on generators in the late 1980s, the police were actually given sound meters and went around ticketing people based on meter readings, and it forced alot of people in her neighborhood to seek out quieter units or place the ones they had in sheds or containers with soundproofing.

Wonder whatever happened to all that? Why can't such enforcement efforts be sustained in the DR?

Musing,
Keith

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If I were to meet up whith him this weekend?

I'd ask him
to listen to the smart people and not the quick money people.. Costa Rica is making a fortune with eco-tourism, and we should be doing the same.
Most of Central America makes lots of money with sports fishing, but it is ALL Catch and Release. We have to learn.

And be brutally strict. Right now the people are looking for firm leadership , not nice words, well spoken.

Put aside the Protected Areas Law, it is a mess and a nasty situation waiting to happen.

Really, look after the Central Mountains: The true heart of the country.

WHAT DO YOU THINK??

For starters, at least.

HB

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
I would like to second HB's solid suggestions.

I never wanted that Protected Areas Law in first place -- always figured it to be a scam, since the Env. Law did all that was necessary, and could be implemented through regulation, not law -- law was needed to water it down, not implement it!

I too have long advocated something similar to Costa Rica's ecotourism, including hunting & fishing fees & park use fees. I would also call in Asonahores and all the tourist spot groups and read them the riot act about what they need to do to go green and gain cache and bucks by doing so. Other destinations in the Caribbean are doing so successfully -- why not in the DR?

The brutally strict enforcement point is key. I remember well how much traffic cops cleaned up their act in 1996 when Leonel announced that he would fire any caught asking for bribes. Made a big difference in my lifestyle in SD!

I also would start doing something concrete and visible regarding the things the average citizen sees & hears, so people start to feel like change is really coming. For example, some fines & enforcement for litter, noise law violations, etc. Publicly fine government-owned firms & installations for pollution violations. And visibly bust the guys still mining the bottom of riverbeds in flagrant violation of law!

I think Chiri is right about doing something regarding energy. Make a big deal about alternative sources, re-refining used oil, getting more fuel efficiency, increasing energy efficiency of transmission lines and of electro-electronics utilizing power. And start charging people for what they actually use from the grid, for god's sake, not what they were supposed to get. Make the big users pay for inefficient use, little users rewarded for being energy frugal.

Just a few of my own rants...