Safety

C

Craig

I will be vacationing in Puerto Plata in August. I will be renting a car and doing some traveling around the island. Is safety a concern? What about being out a night?

L

Loren

Driving will be a challenge, especially at night. As far as violent crime is concerned, the Dominican Republic is very safe, but use common sense and be careful. There is somewhat more of a problem of theft, especially in tourist areas.

If you have never driven in the Dominican Republic before, that will be your biggest worry. You will feel like you have been placed in a video game. Don't drive in rural areas at night until you know what you are doing and are experienced with the driving hazards.

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: Safety and driving

Safety can be a problem. Robberies and even murder does occassionaly happen (usually as part of a robbery). I know of 2 people that had gold chains yanked from their necks since January, and that was in the late afternoon while only 1 block from the main tourist area, both strong young men on their way back to their hotel, and that is knowledge I have just from word of mouth. A third was attempted but ended in a fight on the ground and my friend got stiches in his lip from a punch (ouch!). So don't be flashy and avoid walking alone off the main tourist area, even in the day time. Be especially careful of rings and chains.

Also, there are lots of pick-pocketers at times, but it is getting better. A friend of mine was pick-pocketed while he walked right next to me, and we were both aware of it before it happened. This is pick-pocketing without trying to disguise it or be secret about it. They grab and run, mostly female theives, often teenagers, often in groups of 5 or more.

I think rural driving is the easiest, if you know where you are going because road signs can be scarce. At night, there might not be any lights besides your headlights. I've seen construction zones that use coffee cans filled with something burning as construction warning lights. City driving is a zoo, but not a lot different from NYC. Traffic jams are the big problem. I don't think any agressive driver would have a problem with it but a timid driver might get a little white knuckled, same as in most big cities during rush hour.

On the main highways, there is often a huge difference between the fast and slow traffic, along with lots of stopped, turning, or entering vehicles, which I think is the biggest hazard. In the rural areas, big trucks carrying sugar cane or tour buses and construction vehicles can severely slow you down. Roads very from good condition to very bad, it just depends on where you are.

Junky vehicles in the city know you don't want to get hit and often will cut right in front of you almost hitting you if you don't back off. You don't want to be involved in an accident in a foreign country, where a lawsuit can prevent you from leaving until it is settled.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

S

scaramooch

Re: Safety and driving

Is it agaist the law there to bring pepper spray or can you buy it there??

P

Pascal Yhuello

I just returned from the Dominican Republic where I have driven a bit more than 2000 miles in a month . This my fifth year driving on the island and I never came across any serious situation although had a bit of everything i.e. Car accident with a concho last year with the police involved etc... There are a few things to consider : 1/ Fully insure your car . Can cost up to 20 USD a day and check the franchise . 2/ Never drive at night , it is not only due to robbery which I never experienced but more to the unexpected like Bikes , people , cattle anything with no lights to allow you to identify them. 3/ Get to the place you are travelling to before night , so you know where you are and can get a feel for the atmosphere. 4/ There is a tourist police in the Dominican Republic which can be helpfull in tricky situation. The number hangs on most hotel and restaurant door. Do not worry too much up front , it has to be a first time in most things.