Seeking marriage advice

lsylla01

Aug 10, 2004
I am an American citizen living on the island of Antigua w/ my Dominican girlfriend. We are seeking to have a civil wedding. We are debating whether to have it in the DR or to have it here in Antigua. For those who have any experience with marrying or intending to marry a DR national in the DR, can any one share any experiences with "marrying abroad and then bringing your spouse to the US" or "using a fiance(e) K-1 visa to bring your fiance(e) to the US to marry".
Also, any other wedding tips related to marriage abroad you're willing wo share would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Best Advice

Don't do it.

But seriously if the USA is like Canada fiancee visa and marriage in Canada (or the US) seems to be more efficient and arouses less suspicion than DR or Antigua would do.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
marriage advice

I married my Dominican wife 9 years ago in Villa Gonzales. Since then, I have seen many friends do the same thing. THe bst reults I have seen are to marry there and then go request a tourist visa. I have seen them go hrough in less than 2 weeks. Ours took 3. Once you are back in the states, go immediately and apply for a change of status to residency.
The fact is, once you're legally married, it is easier to get the help you need. Expaditing a K-1 fiance visa is nearly impossible and can take months.

negrecita2003

Sep 23, 2003
K-1 Visa "Not Impossible"

Stewart,

Not sure where you got your information from, but the K-1 Fiance Visa is not impossible. If the couples relationship is genuine, then there is no problem at all. From my experience and past experiences of people that I know, depending on what Service Center you use in the states to file the petition, the K-1 Visa is quicker than getting married in the DR and then trying to file a K-3 visa.

stewart said:
I married my Dominican wife 9 years ago in Villa Gonzales. Since then, I have seen many friends do the same thing. THe bst reults I have seen are to marry there and then go request a tourist visa. I have seen them go hrough in less than 2 weeks. Ours took 3. Once you are back in the states, go immediately and apply for a change of status to residency.
The fact is, once you're legally married, it is easier to get the help you need. Expaditing a K-1 fiance visa is nearly impossible and can take months.

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
I think I was mis-understood

negrecita2003 said:
Stewart,

Not sure where you got your information from, but the K-1 Fiance Visa is not impossible. If the couples relationship is genuine, then there is no problem at all. From my experience and past experiences of people that I know, depending on what Service Center you use in the states to file the petition, the K-1 Visa is quicker than getting married in the DR and then trying to file a K-3 visa.

If you read my post again, you will see that I did not say that the K-1 was impossible. I said that expaditing the process was nearly impossible.
I have been in this position myself. As have many close friends of mine. And I have seen that going for a tourist visa first is lot's faster. My wife's took 2 weeks. Friends of mine have done it in a weeks time. And have returned from their 2 weeks vacation with their new bride.
But that is just my eperience and recommendation. I know others have their own advice to offer.

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
More info

negrecita2003 said:
Stewart,

do you have more k-1 visa suggestions like
how do youprove that the relationship is genuine
and what are the steps to take
would greatly appreciate any info

stewart

Mar 1, 2004
lizzyjl80 said:
do you have more k-1 visa suggestions like
how do youprove that the relationship is genuine
and what are the steps to take
would greatly appreciate any info

Being that I have never been the route of a K-1 visa, I can't really help with suggestions. I do know that when my wife went for her residency interview, the INS agent told us that usually the people that brought lots of wedding pictures in as proof of legitimacy are usually trying to hide something.
I have to assume that included with the application, will be information on what they need as proof.
That is really all the help I can offer. Good luck.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I Dont understand....

Not to long ago I requested information on this board about the tourist visa. I explained that my wife and I did not desire to live in the USA but did desire to visit the USA. I was told on this board that obtaining a tourist visa was almost impossible. I was told this by several of the senior members of this board. Therefore, I applied for Petition for Alien Relative. Now you are saying that was unnecessary. You say Stewart, that you received yours in three weeks. That sounds so easy...and I am left wondering why I paid approx. $200.00 at this point for a petition I did not even need.