Cheap flight from POP to UK

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Alex Hunt said:
Does anyone know of cheap flights from DR POP to UK?
I wish to buy a ticket for a friend in DR to come over to London and visit.
Thanks
Alex

Your probable best bet is to get a discounted flight to Madrid (Air Plus, Air Madrid or Air Europa) and then a discounted flight from Madrid to London. Note that Dominicans have to get two visas if they go this way -- one Schengen to Madrid and another UK visa to London.

conor

Feb 6, 2004
???

I dont think that the person would need the Schengen Visa as they would not be going into Spain and just using it as a connection and it is not your final destination. I maybe wrong about this, but you can find out for sure by just calling the airline and asking first.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
You don?t need a British Passport to use the British Charter Airlines, but they are not that easy to get. They bring the planes over full with discounted last minute holidyaymakers which makes finding a spare seat almost impossible.

I?m going back for a holiday in September and the cheapest route for a dominican (ie not via the States) at the moment is with Air France but they fly from Punta Cana or Santo Domingo.

My sister in the UK spent a lot of time hunting for something cheaper for me in the UK, but no luck. Depending on when your friend wants to fly, you could checK out Thomson Fly on the internet and try to get two cheap returns and only use each on way of each ticket. Sometimes they have return tickets as low as 200 punds, but not often.

Good Luck

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sharron,
I stand corrected, I should have said that a person with a Dominican passport would not be able to use the British charters...........unless this has changed & you know differently?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Alex Hunt said:
Thanks for all your help, I'll get digging :classic:

Alex,
Is your friend Dominican? If so, has he/she started the visa application procedure already? You may find (if your friend IS Dominican) that getting this problem resolved first will save you a lot of time & effort with the airlines as your friend MIGHT not be able to get the visa to enter the UK!! They are (I am advised) extremely difficult to get these days!!

Answering this question here might help us give you more help/suggestions too - Grahame.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
A person holding a Dominican Passport can use the British Charter flights. There is no rule that they can?t and it is up to each airline to make a decision as to whether they will allow it or not.

The only thing about getting a seat on a charter flight is that a Dominican has to have a return ticket to the DR before the Charter Co will sell them a ticket to leave the DR, whereas I could get a single from here to the UK and then get a cheap flight back once in the UK.

aviastar

Bronze
Jan 12, 2003
www.www.www
Dominican citizen can fly on any charter flight to Europe, but the problem is that those charter carriers do not sell tickets that originate in Dominicana. Those flights are operated to bring tourists, tour operators don't eran money on flights, they fly it to sell packages. :rambo:

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
Interesting

He is Dominican
I spoke to Thomson Fly yesterday and they put me onto an independant charter booking agent who then told me that because he is Dominican native there are many restrictions and it would not be worth it and there were no spare seats on charter flights anyway for the next 2 months!
Thanks for your help
Alex

Alex Hunt

May 13, 2004
www.dominicantours.info
Visa

Oh and no he does not have a visa.
Does this take long?
He has asked that I send him a letter saying where he is going to stay etc
will this help his visa application?
Also is it best to apply for him?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Alex Hunt said:
Oh and no he does not have a visa.
Does this take long?
He has asked that I send him a letter saying where he is going to stay etc
will this help his visa application?
Also is it best to apply for him?

NO, you can not apply for him, he HAS to apply on his own behalf. What he must get from you is a letter of invitation to submit to the Embassy with HIS application. I recall you might also be asked to send copies of bank statements for the last 6 months, details of your friends stay (housing, how long, when & why etc.) plus give the Embassy some form of assurance that you will be responsible for ensuring your friend gets back on the 'plane at the prescribed time etc!!

The application process (If everything goes smoothly & it rarely does) will take uowards of 4 weeks & most likely involve him in a personal trip to Santo Domingo for an interview!! I suggest your friend visits the Puerto Plata Consulate office at Caller Beller #51 & speaks to Mendez. Mendez will tell him everything he has to submit to the Emabssy, will collate everything with your friend & send it to Santo Domingo with the appropriate fee!

Experience has shown that very FEW applications are granted & the most 'Determining' factor is the importance that the applicant can show that he/she HAS to return to the DR for family/financial reasons!!

Good Luck. If you need teh Fax. No., Tel. No. or e-mail of Mendez, please PM me & I will forward same to you. In my humble opinion, if you want this friend to come out before November, now is NOT a good time for your friend to be starting the process!! - Grahame.

Sharron

Dec 19, 2002
You will only need to submit your own bank statements etc, if you are sponsoring him. If he has assets of his own, money, car, property etc you don?t need to submit your bank statements.

My boyfriend has his Visa to the UK. PM me if you want to know anything else and good luck, they are not easy to get.