The Big Fat Lie In All Of Us!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
http://aolsvc.health.webmd.aol.com/content/Article/92/101458.htm?pagenumber=1

Here is a link that I think will interest most. This was e-mailed to me by one of my American friends that I met this past year while I was in the U.S. The article is about Cheating and why its so prevailant. (Cheating as in lying, not cheating on your wife type of thing).

What I want everybody to do is this. Read the article and then apply what you understand of it to the obvious cheating crisis here in the DR. Do you think the article clearly states why people resort to cheating?

And if so, do you think Dominicans are any different than Americans when it comes to cheating?

Also, for those of you who like to say "There is no connection to the DR so close the Thread", I must say that the story does mentions Danny Almante and since he's a Dominican kid, there's the connection.

But, really read it. Its quite interesting. Maybe that explains why there are so many cheaters here in the DR and in all nations of the world.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
And what does this article

have to do with the price of Ice Cream???

And who has said that Americans cheat less frequently than Dominicans?

You sure have gone to a lot of searching trouble to try and make a point!

We ALL know people of all nations cheat, steal, commit mahem, etc., etc. so what is the point you're trying to make??

Go to bed and sleep it off, for crying out loud. I don't have time for this BS.

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Texas Bill said:
have to do with the price of Ice Cream???

And who has said that Americans cheat less frequently than Dominicans?

You sure have gone to a lot of searching trouble to try and make a point!

We ALL know people of all nations cheat, steal, commit mahem, etc., etc. so what is the point you're trying to make??

Go to bed and sleep it off, for crying out loud. I don't have time for this BS.

Texas Bill

Oh common! I am here trying to start a discussion about cheating and if people feel that THE ARTICLE FULLY EXPLAIN AND/OR GIVES A THEORY OF WHY DOMINICANS IN POWER TEND TO LIE AND CHEAT. As you know, that is a big problem in RD.

So please. I am not trying to say anything about America, the only thing is that the article is based on the US, but the samething can be applied to the DR.

Why do you always take everything I put as some sort of anti-American thing? I am really not involved in such agenda!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
No, NalOwhs, I don't think it does provide an explanation of why Dominicans in power cheat, because I don't think it provides a cultural context. It provides more of a psychological context, & if I may be so bold, a fairly simplistic one at that. It does not set an historical context either, in my view this is rather important in the topic you suggest.

ERICKXSON

Bronze
Dec 24, 2002
www.creambay.com
Nal0whs said:
Oh common! I am here trying to start a discussion about cheating and if people feel that THE ARTICLE FULLY EXPLAIN AND/OR GIVES A THEORY OF WHY DOMINICANS IN POWER TEND TO LIE AND CHEAT. As you know, that is a big problem in RD.

So please. I am not trying to say anything about America, the only thing is that the article is based on the US, but the samething can be applied to the DR.

Why do you always take everything I put as some sort of anti-American thing? I am really not involved in such agenda!

PLAIN B.S. where in the world politicians never cheat let us know?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
NalOws, you have a history

of trying to justify the shortcomings of the Dominican Society by referring us to articles such as the one you posted reference to!

Just a suggestion----

Why don't you start exploring those shortcomings from an ethnic and historical review of Dominican Society, making a comparative association with all ethnic groups which make up the current Society?

I think you, and others, would benefit greatly through such a study.

Begin with the 500 years of development that has taken place since the discovery and populating of this island. The different ethnic groups which originally populated the island, their origins, their religions, their political and economic philosophies. Extrapolate those factors to the present day, bearing in mind that the educational opportunities haven't changed very much during those 500 years and that the society has been ruled by essentially the same group for that period of time. Recognize that Dominicans are essentially one of the most inbred groups that exist today. Not much really new blood has been introduced throughout the history of this island. Explore the possibility that the mindset has not changed very much during that same period of time.

Think about it, play the different scenarios in your mind, trace the political and economic history of the island and the reaction of the population to the prospect of change. I think you will arrive at some rather startling conclusions about the DR in the process, if you are honest in your logic.

Texas Bill

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
T Bill, to avoid a misunderstanding of your point, explain yourself...

You are saying that Dominicans are Ethnically incapable of developing as a nation?

That failure is something imbedded in our ethnic compositions?

That we are biologically incapable of achieving full development as a nation?

Please explain what you previously meant, because that is the impression I am currently getting and I really don't want to misunderstand your point.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Nal0whs said:
You are saying that Dominicans are Ethnically incapable of developing as a nation?

That failure is something imbedded in our ethnic compositions?

That we are biologically incapable of achieving full development as a nation?

Please explain what you previously meant, because that is the impression I am currently getting and I really don't want to misunderstand your point.

NONE OF THE ABOVE!!!

Those are YOUR words, NOT mine!

Go back and READ the comments AGAIN and follow the logic!

You are AGAIN skewing my comments into something YOU want to get across in the form of putting word into the mouths of others.

Study your history, man!

Maybe this will serve to point you in the right direction.

I DO NOT disparage the Dominican psyche, but rather seek an explanation as to why the political/economic/sociatal development has progressed in the manner that it has. Perhaps you should seek the same answers instead of constantly alluding to the "paradise" aspect which is ludecrous.
That you have a beautiful country, with lush vegetation of various types is evident to the eye, once one gets past the squallor in which your countrymen exist. I don't blame them for that situation, but I do blame those who purport to act in their best interest, only to make the situation much worse.
I don't know the answers, but I am not adverse to exploring ALL the possible causitive factors; something you obviously don't wish to do.
One way to do that is to follow my suggestion aforementioned in my post. That was/is the sole purpose behind the posting.
Now, quit being so defensive about the subject and open your many reference books and get to work!!

BTW, I did this same thing with the USA and was in for a very rude awakening to some of my preconceived notions of what we, in the USA, were all about. I won't go into the details, but that study was an eye-opener for me.

My conclusions made me want to go into politics, of all things!!

And I still say, My Country, Right or Wrong, My Country.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Lying,Cheating,Stealing,the way of life in the DR!

Since no one in the DR is ever held responsible for their actions,starting with the children,what you have is a country populated by liers,cheats,and thieves.From cradle to grave!And,it is no "Big Deal" to them!
There is no respect for property! Everyone accepts the fact that the government is corrupt!The police,and military use their power to intimidate and abuse the population.As we have seen,the financial institutions are nothing more than "Personal Banks" for the very rich,with a government that doesn't regulate their actions!
I do have hope for the future,with the Leonel administration.If things don't get better now,however,the future is indeed bleak! CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
"Since no one in the DR is ever held responsible for their actions,starting with the children,"

so true

I went to a bowling alley in Santo Domingo and could not believe what was going on. Kids were running down the alleys, throwing the ball from head high unto other lanes while there was another ball rolling down, kids throwing things everywhere, it was unreal. Parents did nothing. One kid kept hugging my leg as I tried to bowl, the mother didnt do anything until I got tired of it and yelled at the kid!

Apr 26, 2002
Criss Colon said:
...what you have is a country populated by liers,cheats,and thieves.
As long as we're painting with a broad brush, let's add that America is populated by anal-retentive, neurotic, bible thumping, drug addicted, war mongering mass murderers and child molestors.

Don't like that statement? That's because it's sweeping and reckless. And it's no less true than what you wrote!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
America is populated by anal-retentive, neurotic, bible thumping, drug addicted, war mongering mass murderers and child molestors.

I never thump my bible...thank you very much.

Larry

Argo

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 5, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
As long as we're painting with a broad brush, let's add that America is populated by anal-retentive, neurotic, bible thumping, drug addicted, war mongering mass murderers and child molestors.

Don't like that statement? That's because it's sweeping and reckless. And it's no less true than what you wrote!

I thought all of these were repatriated to the DR? :lick:

Status
Not open for further replies.