what are those things.....?

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this on another thread, or if this is the right forum to be asking.

what are those grey oval shaped things that you often find dangling off a 'dusty' wall or ceiling. they are about 1cm x 0.5cm. the dustier the place seems to be the more you find. they usually look dead, but if you look closely you often see a little worm-like sucker/antenna thing come out of one of the ends.

i'm sure you have all seen some, but if you still don't know what i am talking about i'm not sure how else i can describe them.

i have had one on the wall near my computer (my home is clean, before you ask), which i have been watching for about a month now. it hasn't moved a bit. i don't know how it stays clinging to the wall and the little sucker thing comes out now and again, so i know it is not dead. how does it survive? what does it eat?

is there a name for this thing? in spanish or in english?
i always mean to ask people, but i always forget. plus, it's not really the kind of conversation that keeps parties going.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
:confused: Dusty corners? Could it be spiderwebs? Why would you look at it for a month and not clean it? Dude you need to get on or off the meds. :laugh:

Just kidding just kidding.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Yikes

:eek: ALIENS! :alien: I don't know where you live, but I sure as hell am not moving to a place where the lint has suckers!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Having a "senior" moment means I can't recall the name of the insects

you are referring to but they can be found in most cement constructions.
They do appear dead (and usually are by the time you see them) however newly emerged ones are alive. They feed off one of the components of cement and are harmless to humans (altho' they can give one the "willies" if you have an aversion to "bugs"!).
Just sweep 'em down when you see them and toss in the garbage with the "dust"!
If their name makes it into my consciousness in the not too distant future I'll repost with it...... :confused:

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
I know what you're talking about! But unfortunately I dont know what they are called...and dont too much care. I thought it was just cement, but you say you saw worm head.
WHERE IS THE RAID?
I AM KILLING MINE NOW!!!!
TEHAMA

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
I am glad I digested my breakfast.
Can we start a thread on those huge flying COOCAH RACHAS.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
MommC said:
Like I said.....just sweep 'em down and dump them!

...thanks for the info. pity you can't remember the name.

i'm in two minds now about chucking him out the window....on the one hand, i'll get a clean looking wall again....
on the other hand.....if i throw him out the window he will disappear forever.....which will be sad, because i recently named him george, and life will be difficult without seeing that happy little sucker thing come out every day to wish me a good morning.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
bochinche said:
...thanks for the info. pity you can't remember the name.

i'm in two minds now about chucking him out the window....on the one hand, i'll get a clean looking wall again....
on the other hand.....if i throw him out the window he will disappear forever.....which will be sad, because i recently named him george, and life will be difficult without seeing that happy little sucker thing come out every day to wish me a good morning.
Someone is just bound to misinterpret that!

Joah

Feb 15, 2004
Plaster Bagworms

FYI: Plaster Bagworms are similar in appearance and closely related to case clothes moths. The larvae of bagworms live in a flattened, gray, watermelon seed-shaped case about 1/2" long. (pupal case) The case is constructed of silken fiber and sand particles, lint, paint fragments and other debris. The case has a slit-like opening at each end, and the larva is able to move around and feed from either end.

Paster bagworms are easily seen on light-colored walls. Close examination of the house may reveal bagworms attached to the underside of chairs, bookcases, and other furniture. They are often found along the edge of rugs, near baseboards, or on the lower edges of walls. Bagworms are quite common in garages and underneath buildings. The larvae mainly feed on spider webs: however, they will also feed on fabrics made of natural fiber.

Control of plaster bagworms is similar to control of clothes moths. Good housekeeping is important, especially removal of spider webs. Sweep down and remove any spider webs and bagworm cases.

They are a common pest in Flordia. They loved hanging around in my garage.

Note: They multiple rapidly.

Don't feel sorry about tossing your friend (worm) out a window...he'll come back if you have spiderwebs.

Ok everybody, time to go check the walls, etc.

I predict a run on moth balls, moth flakes and moth spray. I also predict all housekeepers will be wielding brooms shortly.

Joah

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the reply Joah!

The name I was given was slightly more exotic (hence the problem recalling it) however the info was the same.......Sweep, SWeep,SWEEP them away!
We always find them after we have been gone several months so the first thing I do upon arrival (after opening all the windows and doors) is to get out my broom and SWEEP!
I also find it helpful to give a good spray of the entire apt. with Raid or Baygone just before I lock the door when we leave. Helps keep the spiders, cockroaches and bagworms away while we're gone! ;)

TEHAMA

Feb 3, 2004
OH HELL NO!!
I am using RAID/ORION first, then after an hour knocking it off the wall.

Dont mean to sound like a big wuss, but I dont deal well with creepy crawlies.
Thanks much BOCHINCHE for bring this up. I probably would still look at it thinking sloppy dominican construction until it covered the entire room. :confused:
TEHAMA

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Lambada said:
Someone is just bound to misinterpret that!

....yes you are right. so i have just checked my plaster bagworm again and it turns out that george is actually female.....she is now renamed georgina.

....there is nothing deviant about bochinche.

an extra note....charlie the gekko (i took to him ever since i rescued him from a glue trap - he was 'cojo' for a while, but he's perfect now), who never passes up any other creepy-crawlie, takes no interest in georgina whatsoever.