A New Port Authority in Manzanillo!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
It would seem that with the change in Government, there is also a change in the Port Authority for management of the Port of Manzanillo.
Trans Dominicana Desarrolla (TDD) has been displaced in that role by the the Cibao Cement conglomorate, owned and operated by the Rodriguez family (who have a residence right here in Manzanillo).

I am told by locals in the know, that there are plans in the making for a shipyard, a marina, a couple of hotels, and expansion of the wharfing facilities here to accommodate more and larger vessels. The shipyard is to be funded by a Miami Group and will both repair and build vessels. The Marina will be designed to accommodate vessels belonging to the "cruising society" that frequents the Caribbean waters and will offer fuel, water and minor repair as well as temporary haul-out/cleaning.

If those grandiose plans come to fruition (shades of the old 'Megaport Plan') such will certainly attract a volume of traffic to Manzanillo that is sorely needed. TDD did nothing to attract the commercial vessels to this port, did nothing to broaden the base of facillities, and pursued none of the usual advertising mediums to present the facillity to the potential users; maritime, international and domestic.

Let us hope that the potential for the Port of Manzanillo can be realized over the next few years and that the infusion of much needed capital can be realized to facillitate that potential.

This area between Monte Cristi and Dajabon is a backwater. The land is relatively cheap; there is sufficient fresh water in the form of the two lagoons along the Rio Masacre to support industries, the population and the small fincas in the area. The water plant facillities are in place, although in dire need of a complete overhaul and modernization. The water mains would need to be replaced in their entirety for hygenic reasons. There is an area set aside already for "Free Zone" uses and lays fallow needing only the industry to occupy the spaces.

I realize that this has turned into a 'Sales Pitch' for Manzanillo, but I see the opportunities that can be had through the advent of the new management team of the Port and it's environs.

Forgive my enthusiasm but I just can't help myself.

Texas Bill

Apr 26, 2002
Texas,

I have always understood Manzanillo to have the best deep water natural harbor in the DR, albeit undeveloped because of its location away from Santiago and Santo Domingo. Can you confirm this?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
About the location of the Port of Manzanillo

I have this to say.

The waters go to a depth of over 300 meters, ideal for deep draught vessels.

It is protected by the land mass mountains to the north, thus tending to break up any incursions of the high winds of a hurricane.

Altough relatively underdeveloped, it would offer that protection needed for such vessels.

And Pib, I'm not so sure about the rottenness of the state of Manzanillo. The entire area around here really needs SOMETHING to create jobs and opportunity for the destitute people occupying the territory. You have been here (and as I recall, you were raised in Monte Cristi) so you have first hand knowledge of what I'm talking about.

I just hope the future will hold something for the people here.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Pib said:
Something is VERY rotten in the state of Manzanillo.

THAT's a very 'OPEN' statement PIB - could mean a whole LOT of things!! Would you care to expand somewhat on WHAT that something is or might be?? Are you thinking the 'Present' port administrators or the fact that a NEW administration might be put in place to run things?

TB,
With property prices being as low as they are out there right now, you ought to invite the Ex-Pat Girl-chasers over! If you set up quite a few "Working Girls" to entertain them, show them round all the inexpensive land you have up there, explain the development that is going to go on there ........ You could get quite a thriving "Sosua" set up in Manzanillo!! NO vendors allowed on the beach though!! - Grahame.

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
With property prices being as low as they are out there right now, you ought to invite the Ex-Pat Girl-chasers over! If you set up quite a few "Working Girls" to entertain them, show them round all the inexpensive land you have up there, explain the development that is going to go on there ........ You could get quite a thriving "Sosua" set up in Manzanillo!! NO vendors allowed on the beach though!! - Grahame.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, maybe you can send over your wife I heard she's real popular with the ex-pat crowd over in Sousu. Compassionate towards Dominicans my ***. You're just another racist and hypocrite trying to exploit the most out of all them. Yeah, you're an expert on Dominican Culture and expert on screwing them, Go back to where you came from.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
A Great Idea, Bush Baby, but----

All the good lookers from here are already in the Sosua area!! how do I get them to return??? Then there'sthe problem of housing. The only 'Hotel' here is booked solid for weeks in advance by the local 'amorados' and their novias.
Sans Sexo!!

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Bacalao said:
With property prices being as low as they are out there right now, you ought to invite the Ex-Pat Girl-chasers over! If you set up quite a few "Working Girls" to entertain them, show them round all the inexpensive land you have up there, explain the development that is going to go on there ........ You could get quite a thriving "Sosua" set up in Manzanillo!! NO vendors allowed on the beach though!! - Grahame.

Quote from Bacalao as follows:
Yeah, maybe you can send over your wife I heard she's real popular with the ex-pat crowd over in Sousu. Compassionate towards Dominicans my ***. You're just another racist and hypocrite trying to exploit the most out of all them. Yeah, you're an expert on Dominican Culture and expert on screwing them, Go back to where you came from.[/QUOTE]

My answer: and you can delete it if you see fit..just do the same to his, please.
C'mon Bacalao, can't you see through that comment?? Bush Baby ismerely goughing me facitiously (do you understand that word??) and your retort is completely un-called for and VERY ungentlemanly. Do you consider yourself to be a 'Cabellero'???I If so, your remark certainly doesn't exemplify that status in Society. f you can't properly read English, then I suggest you fold your tent and rumble someplace else. I for one, would appreciate it.

You put a similar remark to me and buddy you have a battle on your hands. Just rememember to ALWAYS look over your shoulder, cause ONE DAY I'll be there.

Texas Bill

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
BushBaby said:
THAT's a very 'OPEN' statement PIB - could mean a whole LOT of things!! Would you care to expand somewhat on WHAT that something is or might be?? Are you thinking the 'Present' port administrators or the fact that a NEW administration might be put in place to run things?
As a little background let me tell you that I have links to Manzanillo that go far in time, I also spent a lot of time there for more than one reason (although there was ONE reason that kept me going there, but that is another story). My family also have interests in Manzanillo and I have a few friends living there.

I like Manzanillo, but as much as I like it I can not help but to recognize that Manzanillo is one messed up little town. Caught in the web of greed and corrupt politicians, there seems to be no light at the end of the tunnel for Macondo, I mean Manzanillo.

From a few sources, and what I saw last year, the port is getting in worse shape by the minute, the road is crappy and if it wasn't for a certain company that we both know I think Manzanillo could be in worse shape. I don't think there was any tender to grant the administration of the port to Rodriguez and I have the nagging suspiccion (just a suspicion, no proof whatsoever or claims to the contrary) that money exchanged hands, and that this money did not end in the government coffers.

Call me a cynic, I have seen this too many times already. I admire the infinite capacity for optimism in the people of Manzanillo.

And bacalao... that was a VERY stupid thing to say. I don't expect you to apologize though.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Pib;

I understand what you say and for the most part agree with you. The economic/political environment here in Manzanillo leaves me shuddering from time to time. But, I keep fighting it.

I was told today not to put too much faith in the probability that CC would take over the Port. That from a mutual friend, whom I will not name for obvious reasons.

I guess I grasp, like a drowning sailor, at the meagerest piece of driftwood, in as effort to keep my head above water in this shark-infested environment. Never the less, I remain optomistic as to the future of this a**hole of the DR and hope that one day they will catch up with the rest of the world. The biggest problem seems to be that all here are so accustomed to taking that they have forgotten how to give back.

Texas Bill

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
You put a similar remark to me and buddy you have a battle on your hands. Just rememember to ALWAYS look over your shoulder, cause ONE DAY I'll be there.

Look, your boy has the big mouth and I am not about to go away that easily. Battle? What kind of battle are you talking about? I am not about to be intimidated by you or anyone else. Please elaborate what I should be scared of? Are you ten years old because what you wrote sound like something a restarted ten year old would write?

Just rememember to ALWAYS look over your shoulder, cause ONE DAY I'll be there

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thank you for your clarification PIB & (to a great extent) I concur with your thoughts. I FULLY understand the ONE reason you mentioned - something to do with playing golf wasn't it????? My regards to that quarter anyway!!

Yes, I agree with the corrupt nature of some poiticians up there - obviously a decent MegaPort, Marina, extended wharf (bringing in extra cargo ships) would allow the rise of alternative leaders, & THAT is something Bern ..... (oops!) could never allow!! Like you (although NOT with the same experiences) I feel Manzanillo is a GREAT little town & totally underdeveloped! I HOPE what Bill has heard, comes to reality ...... & soon! - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Texas Bill said:
Quote from Bacalao as follows:
Yeah, maybe you can send over your wife I heard she's real popular with the ex-pat crowd over in Sousu. Compassionate towards Dominicans my ***. You're just another racist and hypocrite trying to exploit the most out of all them. Yeah, you're an expert on Dominican Culture and expert on screwing them, Go back to where you came from.

My answer: and you can delete it if you see fit..just do the same to his, please.
C'mon Bacalao, can't you see through that comment?? Bush Baby ismerely goughing me facitiously (do you understand that word??) and your retort is completely un-called for and VERY ungentlemanly. Do you consider yourself to be a 'Cabellero'???I If so, your remark certainly doesn't exemplify that status in Society. f you can't properly read English, then I suggest you fold your tent and rumble someplace else. I for one, would appreciate it.

Forgive bacalou's outburst TB, he is a bit miffed because one of his posts accusing all Ex-Pats of being racist, non-understanding of the Dominican culture, Exploitive of Dominicans ............................ (ad Bl**dy nauseum) was closed before he could get back & yell at me!! I had asked a civil question, but of course he is unable to repond in that way, he has to be abusive! He seems to think that because I am an extranajero, that I know nothing of the culture of this country & because HE has a Domincan Nickname, this makes him much more Dominican than me!! Go figure the logic on that!!

The misguided man (I THINK he is a man but nothing seems to confirm that)has sent me two PM's being abusive & if this continues I will have to report same to the Big Reaper responsible for all misuse of this boards bandwidth!! It really is a pity when people with passion in their bellies just cannot argue logically & with any form of sensitivity. Probably the poor fellow didn't have much of an education & that is why he is so anti everything!!

What the heck is he refering to "Wife"??? I am not married!! Where as he is entitled to say anything he likes to me (hopefully one day face to face but somehow I doubt he has the guts for that) he is NOT entitled to isinuate that "She who must be Obeyed" is anything other than what she is - something he just CAN not know as he has never met her. I suspect that he will shortly be informed of his foolish ways & probably join our only other permenently banned poster!!

Good luck with the Manzanillo project - I hope it all works out & please stay in touch either here or through PM.

Bacalao

*** Sin Bin ***
Jun 5, 2003
BushBaby said:
Thank you for your clarification PIB & (to a great extent) I concur with your thoughts. I FULLY understand the ONE reason you mentioned - something to do with playing golf wasn't it????? My regards to that quarter anyway!!

That?s great news guys? maybe you can go to Moca and get some really young girls and have you guys a party back at Manzanillo. Hey Boys, why waste your time with those old beat up bitchs in Sosau bring in the fresh meat, because really Bush-baby isn?t that what you perverts like fresh young ones but really who cares they are only just Dominicans. You are a modern day Slave master Bush- and a big time hypocrite Here is a link to your brethrens. By the way Texas Bill I am looking over my shoulder and I do not see anything coming?

http://kkk.com/

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
bacaloa---

I WILL NOT allow someone of your propensities toward issuing insults to the participants of this thread to cause it to be closed!!!

If this thread and it's stated purposes are abhorrent to you, then please refrain from reading it. No one is forcing it down your throat. And I might add, it isn't your prerrogative to insist ANYTHING concerning the Management of DR1. That's the prerrogative of the OWNERS and Managers of the various Forums.

I have found, in my 78 years on this planet, that it is made up of many different types of psychological profiles in it's population. There are those who will find fault with God's own words and there are those who will follow Them literally. The same is true for ALL philosophies. You obviously march to a different drummer from many of us here.

You would do well to analyze (that is to seperate the wheat from the chaff) the commentaries stated herein and respond to postings with a language which is void of bigotry, racism and generally hateful remarks. If you don't truly understand the basis if reasoning for the existance of this thread, PM me and I'll explain it to you. Just leave out insulting commentary because I have absolutely no use for such.

Texas Bill

CyaBye3015

Bronze
Jan 8, 2003
Oh Please!!!

Bacalao said:

Look, your boy has the big mouth and I am not about to go away that easily. Battle? What kind of battle are you talking about? I am not about to be intimidated by you or anyone else. Please elaborate what I should be scared of? Are you ten years old because what you wrote sound like something a restarted ten year old would write?

Just rememember to ALWAYS look over your shoulder, cause ONE DAY I'll be there

Is Robert taking a nap?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
CyaBye3015 said:
Is Robert taking a nap?

Shouldn't think so as too many warning signs will have triggered his awareness of this poster. Perhaps, & I hope, he is waiting for this thread to get back on TOPIC rather than include the meanderings from a worthless & ignorant bigot!!

TB, has the proposed deal with UAE fallen through or is it likely to get renewed interest with the change of Port Authority?? Are there plans for the repair & useage of the railway line &/or developement of a cold storage warehouse? - Grahame.

Brooke

May 25, 2004
Bacalao said:
BushBaby said:

That?s great news guys? maybe you can go to Moca and get some really young girls and have you guys a party back at Manzanillo. Hey Boys, why waste your time with those old beat up bitchs in Sosau bring in the fresh meat, because really Bush-baby isn?t that what you perverts like fresh young ones but really who cares they are only just Dominicans. You are a modern day Slave master Bush- and a big time hypocrite Here is a link to your brethrens. By the way Texas Bill I am looking over my shoulder and I do not see anything coming?

http://kkk.com/

Wow, this guy has issues!! Don't take anything from him Bushbaby!!