Convincing my friends that a trip to Santo Domingo is a must - can you help?

pinchy

Aug 16, 2004
From 30th Sept to 14th Oct I will be on holiday with my husband, my best friend and her boyfriend in the DR. We will be staying with my friend's dad and he lives in Romana. I would like to do a day trip to Santo Domingo as I have read wonderful things about it, however, my friend's father has told her it is a dissapointing city and not really worth visiting. Is he right? If not what can you tell me about the city to convince them we should visit? What are the best things to do and what restaurants would you recommend? Hopefully I can create a really great day that will appeal to everyone. Thanks x

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
www.sdq.com

Click on the link above and have fun!

Also good luck!

Santo Domingo is a giant Caribbean metropolis (for the Caribbean standards, it could be considered a megalopolis). There are areas of town that are not pretty at all in any sense, there are areas of towns that are quite pleasant and there are areas of town that are quite nice.

Given that the city is so big and that the Colonial Zone (where most of the historic structures and tourist hang out) is very close to the "not so nice areas" of the capital, many visitors come to Santo Domingo and dislike the "modern" part while adoring the "colonial" part. The truth is that there are many areas of SDQ that look third world as there are areas that look first world and everything in between.

Good luck and always use this phrase in an attempt to convince them to visit the city: "We will go and see how it is. After all, its not like if we are going to die or something. We will see how SDQ is with our own eyes and if we like it, that's fine and if we don't like it, that's fine also. We are travelling to see how other folks live in this world after all!"

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Go to Sabana de la Mar and cross the Bahia

Certainly, the Zona Colonial is, perhaps, the only attractive zone of Santo Domingo. There is not much to see in Santo Domingo. But, as you will be in La Romana, you can ask your friend's father to go to Sabana de la Mar and to take from there a short boat trip crossing the very beautiful Bahia de Samana to land again in Samana. The car trip to Sabana de la Mar starts in La Romana and passes thru San Pedro de Macoris and Hato Mayor. If interested, I suggest that you go with somebody that really knows the road to get there.

If you decide to go to Santo Domingo the road trip is very easy.

Good luck ;)

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If you're going to be in La Romana, make sure you visit the Cueva de las Maravillas and Altos de Chavon. As for Santo Domingo, the Colonial Zone is THE tourist attraction. You've also got the botanical gardens which some people enjoy.

Have fun!

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
a few suggestions

Some other things around Santo Domingo that are worth a visit are the aquarium and los tres ojos. The aquarium is small but nice, and really inexpensive by US/Canadian standards. Los tres ojos (the three eyes) is a series of semi subterranean caves just outside the city that remind me of the gardens inside the glacier in the Superman movies. The cave restaurant in the city has very good food and is something out of the ordinary. If you are into photography the colonial zone has some great photo opportunities. Just remember that some of the monuments (such as the first cathedral of the Americas) do not allow women to wear shorts inside.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
I wonder what are the reasons for which your friend's fathers dislikes the city of Santo Domingo and also know in his opinion which are the best spots to visit in Dominican Republic if there are any and why...i'd really like to know his point of view.

Japke

Mar 26, 2004
If you don't go, you wont know

some people like meat and others prefer fish. if you are so close to the capital and you want to see it, go and see it. if the others don't want to go, go by yourself (or tell them you will and for sure when they realize you really want to go, they'll come along). it is not the prettiest city in the world and the colonial part rather small, but they have dont some fixing up, and i think it's great just for the crazy traffic in some parts. just so you know, i like meat and fish. :cheeky:

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Sto. Domingo is a great city

I am curious as to why someone would tell you not to visit Santo Domingo. In my opinion Sto. Domingo is the most important city historically and the most diverse culturally so if you are curious satisfy your curiosity. Do not be swayed by the opinions of others. I think the Colonial Zone is worth a visit. If you know a little history of the Colonial Zone you will understand why. As well, I think a drive down George Washington Ave (el Malec?n) at night is nice (noisy in some sections) as it has a very vibrant night-life. Also Sto. Domingo has some beautiful neighborhoods, the houses in my opinion are just stunning to look at. Don't deprive yourself of a visit. You won't regret it.

-Lesley D

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Lesley D said:
I am curious as to why someone would tell you not to visit Santo Domingo. In my opinion Sto. Domingo is the most important city historically and the most diverse culturally so if you are curious satisfy your curiosity. Do not be swayed by the opinions of others. I think the Colonial Zone is worth a visit. If you know a little history of the Colonial Zone you will understand why. As well, I think a drive down George Washington Ave (el Malec?n) at night is nice (noisy in some sections) as it has a very vibrant night-life. Also Sto. Domingo has some beautiful neighborhoods, the houses in my opinion are just stunning to look at. Don't deprive yourself of a visit. You won't regret it.

-Lesley D

Lesley D, Santo Domingo (in my opinion) loses lots of potential tourist by word of mouth, just how it gains some.

But, the reason I say that is because occasionally I check different online photo albums and I check travel forums to see what are the things tourist like to take pictures of while in the DR and what they think of the DR in particular.

I have found that many tourist feel that modern Santo Domingo looks entirely like the Don Carlos neighborhood and the area around Parque Enriquillo! So, most tourist feel that the only beautiful thing about Santo Domingo is the Colonial Zone and that modern Santo Domingo is a dump because they think the whole modern part looks like Avenida Duarte. That is something I have notice from many tourist.

Of course, I always wonder why the buses coming with tourist from the AIs don't take the tourist through the nicer areas as they approach the Colonial Zone rather than taking them through those not so nice areas! Many tourist would be surprised if they were to see Gascue, Piantini, La Churchill, La Esperilla, many would be blown out of their mind if they got to see Los Cacigascos or Bella Vista, etc. But, most don't see that, most see the "ugly areas" of the capital and from there generalize.

However, I must say that I wish the neighborhood between 27 de Febrero and the Colonial Zone would be "beautified" to avoid such misconseption from the tourists!

Its really an unfortunate thing because Santo Domingo is one of the most pleasant capital cities in Latin America in my opinion. Heck, that's why I live here, otherwise I would be up in Santiago with the Cibae?os.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
Nal0whs said:
Its really an unfortunate thing because Santo Domingo is one of the most pleasant capital cities in Latin America in my opinion.

As someone who has seen quite a few of them, I agree.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
For the most part I agree as well and I have seen a few other Latin American capital cities and Sto. Domingo is still leading the pack. Some areas need to be cleaned up or "beautified" but that's not the criteria I use when I analyze a city in terms of if it's worth visiting or not. Cultural icons and the nightlife (although that may sound misleading) are the top two criteria for me.

-Lesley D

xamaicano said:
As someone who has seen quite a few of them, I agree.

pinchy

Aug 16, 2004
thanks for all the responses....

Thanks to everyone who has responded - it has been really helpful.

And what a range of responses! Some of you have said there is very little to see in SD while others see it as a must. I can only gather that it is the kind of place that you either love or hate. I am still very keen to explore it for myself.

Some of you asked why my friends father isn't keen on SD. I'm not entirely sure of the precise reasons but I gather that he doesn't find the city very attractive / doesn't think there's much to do. Basically he showed my friend a picture of the colonial zone which was apparently quite dissapointing and didn't look very interesting.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Oche said:
I wonder what are the reasons for which your friend's fathers dislikes the city of Santo Domingo and also know in his opinion which are the best spots to visit in Dominican Republic if there are any and why...i'd really like to know his point of view.
I didn't want to disparage the Capital but maybe because it is HOT, terrible traffic, Crazy Drivers, Dirty and has Rats the size of small German Shepherds?

Just a thought...

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
No prob, I know you didn't want to disparage Santo Domingo City, but what else can you expect from the most populated city of the DR?. In general, all the bad things of the country are seen in Santo Domingo but also probably the best things of the country as well. I believe that the good things that the city has to offer outweigh the provided bad things.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I have said it before and I'll say it again!

Oche said:
No prob, I know you didn't want to disparage Santo Domingo City, but what else can you expect from the most populated city of the DR?. In general, all the bad things of the country are seen in Santo Domingo but also probably the best things of the country as well. I believe that the good things that the city has to offer outweigh the provided bad things.

Santo Domingo is kind of the Caribbean version of New York City in certain ways.

Sure, the city is not as cosmopolitan and diverse as NYC is, but it is the most cosmopolitan town in the DR and among the most cosmopolitan in the region.

SDQ (just like NYC) has art, culture, nightlife, beauty, and wealth. Also, like NYC, it has ugly areas, dirty areas, dangerous areas, and poverty. Just like NYC, in SDQ the sight of men in suits driving their german cars and the men in rags scraping out a living selling lottery tickets are both equal sites.

Parts of town are very hip and modern and clean, other parts are dirty, rundown, and not hip.

SDQ is a real metropolises with everything that that implies. SDQ is the most exciting, largest city in the Caribbean. It has everything that you could ever want and the city is home to all sorts of people.

It's dynamic, its interesting, its alive and kicking, its Santo Domingo of the 21st century.

Oh, that there are rats the size of cats, sure there are. Then again, NYC is not rat free at all either. Oh, that there are many areas that are not as clean as they can be, sure there are. Then again, have you been to Asturias in Queens NY or in parts of the Bronx, the last time I went through there I saw large cardboard boxes next to heineken bottles net to pure garbage along the curbs of the road and people jumping over all that filth. From time to time I even wondered if I had gone into the Third world.

Then again, there are many areas of SDQ that would make you wonder if you have gone into the first world or into the 16th century.

I find SDQ to be a fabulous metropolis. However, if what I want is a small town ambiance or a rural setting, I would not pick a metropolis to live and play.

Come to SDQ and see it all with an open mind. See the nice areas, see the bad areas, see the historic areas and take it all in in stride. This city was built by humans and inhabited by humans. If 3 million people can make it living here all year, I know you will make it too for the couple of hours or days you'll be in the veritable capital of sun and rum!

www.mundodominicano.com

That website will show you alot of pics of SDQ and DR in general. Its well rounded, giving you picks of all areas, not just the nice ones. Enjoy and come on by!

pinchy

Aug 16, 2004
website

Nal0whs said:
www.mundodominicano.com

That website will show you alot of pics of SDQ and DR in general. Its well rounded, giving you picks of all areas, not just the nice ones. Enjoy and come on by!

Thanks for this but it seems as though that site is in spanish only and I am ashamed to say I speak very little Spanish. Is there a good equivalent in English?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
pinchy said:
Thanks for this but it seems as though that site is in spanish only and I am ashamed to say I speak very little Spanish. Is there a good equivalent in English?

I don't know another English language site equivalent to the one I presented already in Spanish.

However, if its pictures that you want to see here are a few steps into seeing them.

1. Click on the link.

2. Click on the picture of masks that is on the page.

3. On the upper portion of the central square (where all the pics are displaying) click on Republica Dominicana.

4. Right there you will have access to numerous albums of SDQ, Boca Chica, the Colonial Zone, etc. BTW, the Ciudad album are pictures of modern SDQ and the Zona Colonial album are pictures of the colonial Zone.

Also, Playas album are pictures of beaches near SDQ, etc.

Have fun!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Oche said:

I went to a play in NY Sunday with my wife and daughter. We split up 4 years ago but still friends. She complained that we didn't go into NY enough when we were together. I had lived in NYC and enjoyed it but NYC is not for me nor was it ever.

I am not a city boy. I like the country so the things that I mentioned about a city turn me off anywhere in the world. As a tourist S.D. is probably a must see for most folks but with the diversity of the geography of this country I think your time is better spent avoiding S.D. and seeing one of the most beautiful countries I have ever been to.

I go to S.D. when I need to for one reason or another, call up some friends and have a nice time. I don't think I would ever consider going there for the sake of just going there though. I need a compelling reason to have a good time there:)

Scott

Spirit7

Aug 26, 2004
Santo Domingo

Santo Domingo is the oldest city in the Americas. It was the hub of the 'discovery' wheel for the Spanish empire. Most 'conquistadores' first came here, 500 years ago, and departed to 'find' Mexico (Cortez), Peru (Pizarro), the fountain of youth? (Ponce de Leon); DeSoto, Orellana, etc.

If you are into history you will enjoy walking on the first street in the
New World (Calle Las Damas), visiting the first military post (Fortaleza Ozama), the first cathedral, the first university, and many other surviving buildings in the Colonial Zone.

Santo Domingo has bad neighborhoods, just like London, Paris, Rome, Chicago, New York and Los Angeles. It also has a vibrant, modern part with commercial plazas and malls as well as great neighborhoods with fabulous homes and middle and upper middle class neighborhoods where most of the
people live a life not unlike everyone else in the world, granted, with the particular characteristics of this culture.

If you come to the DR, it would be a shame to bypass at least a day-trip to experience Santo Domingo. Then there are many beach resorts spread out all over the north, east and southeastern coasts. There are national parks with tropical characteristics, of course, rivers, waterfalls and quiet, clean, mountain towns like Jarabacoa and Constanza in La Vega.

In fact, great variety in a country of barely 30,000 square miles. By all means, visit Santo Domingo and experience every minute of your travel time since that is really the point of it, isn't it?