Inaugural address highlights

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Highlights of Inaugural Address of President Leonel Fernandez on 16 August

? Start of times of austerity. Promised austerity to confront the crisis, reduction of 20% of government jobs, eliminating those duplicating roles in government and political patronage jobs. Said that nobody would use government funds to purchase new ?jeepetas? (luxury SUVs), nor making unlimited mobile phone calls, reduction of diet expenses. Would reduce deputy minister positions to those in the law for each ministry. Ban on borrowing of government institutions from domestic banks. Consular posts would from now on be limited to receiving a wage, not participation in funds generated.

? Would resume agreement with IMF. Plan to confront quasi fiscal debt of RD$90 billion comes with agreement of local and foreign businessmen of depositing funds for future invesetment in the Banco de Reservas at higher rates than what they receive abroad, so as to pay back the certificates of savings in the Central Bank and not continue to issue reserve-less money as has been happening so far causing devaluation of the peso, high levels of inflation. Will honor commitments with certificates of savings made so far. Expects recovery will stimulate a return of capitals, stimulate new investments, new jobs, increase demand and consumption, reduce cost of living.

? Will not be a flag bearer for traditional change of government custom of ?boron y cuenta nueva,? or leave what was past in the past. ?He who does not have clear accounts, in the public or private sector, may he know that from now on government will not serve as obstruction nor manipulator for justice to not act as our codes and laws establish. ?That nobody whisper to my ear in private, what they are not in capacity to tell me in private.?

? Priority to programs to bring food and medicine programs at low cost to the poor. Integrate civic society in social programs. Start of emergency six month programs.
? Power sector. Announced contracting of a US$50 million line of credit to purchase fuel to normalize power service immediately. Evaluate electricity sector contracts, make transparent the costs of the sector, limit subsidy to poor that consume 200 kVH, increase collections, international tender for EdeNorte and Edesur, train staff in electricity regulation, strengthen the Superintendence and National Commission of Energy, approve renewal energy strategies and inject new capitals in the sector. Sure of the support of the IDB, World Bank to bring light back at the end of the tunnel.

? Creation of a state of law, with strengthening of institutions that may serve to curtail unbridled ambitions. ?The DR cannot continue as of now with citizen insecurity, traffic of influences, political patronage, illicit enrichening, abuse of power.? Spoke against fear of fraud in elections, a censured press, when powers of the state should inspire with their responsible acts confidence in the people.
Urged members of Congress to assume their role as guarantee of the sacred interests of the republic.

? Priority to education, quality education. Increase of computer and internet education to grade school levels, and increase in bilingual education programs. That public schools offer same quality of education as private schools. Creation of community college programs to quick training of youths. Educate for democracy, with modern civic education programs, to increase social participation.

? International relations. Focus on regional Organization of American States programs to promote international peace. Links with Pacific, Latin American, African and European nations, North America and special attention to Haiti.

? Set new slogan of: ?Dominicano, e pa?lante que vamos!?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I am certain---

that Lionel's speech was designed with a great deal of optimism for the future of Republica Dominicana!

As to the aspect of a 20% reduction in government payroll, well the man has just today taken over the reins of this government and I, for one, will give him the benefit of the doubts and give him a chance to perform. His feet should be kept to the fire, however, to assure positive performance in carrying through with his statements of intent in his inaugural address.

His stated solutions can be realized only with the cooperation of the Legislature and the National constituancy. Toward this end I recommend we continuously bombard those bodies and the public with email in support/opposition of the actions before them. That way, they can't refuse to recognize that they have a 'watch dog' breathing down their neck at each turn. Local encouragement for such action will be necessary and to be a political activist in support may be the way to help get the job done.

If Leonel can foster a true desire for the 'Rule of Law' amoungst the population and gain their support for this, he will go a long way toward solving the endemic problems that every government here has faced.

It's early days yet, so let's take an attitude of watchful waiting while voicing our concerns.

Texas Bill

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Lambada said:
20% reduction of government jobs is a start.....but somewhat ironic that on the same day there is a report of 55% overstaffing at Banco Centrale. I wonder how representative this 55% figure is of other government departments?http://www.elcaribe.com.do/articulo...d=51522F8739EC4EEFBC0BF71AF7858F6C&Seccion=69

The man has been in power for just 14 hours for God's sake!!! He has an entire 4 decades of patronage to overcome & to ME, this is one great step forward - not 5%, not 10% but 20%!!!! Good for him.

If you fire people you alienate them - if you KEEP them & then MOVE them to other areas where they can be more productive, you keep them more loyal & prepared to do what it is they are given as tasks to do!! Could be that he (Leonel) has some expansion plans in the education, social awareness sectors that he intends moving these 'Excess' Governmental workers to! It would be more sensible to retain these Governmental employees & move them to other departments that NEED expanding to envigorate the economy, than to fire them, take on "Party Workers" who then have to be trained!!

I am much more pleased to see his comments with regard to education, the social awareness programme, & the desire to have a LAWFUL & less corrupt society - driven by the populace rather than political patronage! I HOPE he can deliver!! - Grahame.

NY1

Feb 26, 2002
More importantly, when does the electricity remain on for a 24hr period? Any 24hr period would do. Even if it were once a week for 24 hours!!!

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Dolores said:
?That nobody whisper to my ear in private, what they are not in capacity to tell me in private.?
Great translation Dolores. Small nitpick, it should read ?That nobody whisper to my ear in private, what they are not in capacity to tell me in public.? :) I am looking forward to getting DR1 news tomorrow.

It was a good speech, toned down for the consumption of the masses, not too intellectual but we still notice that the guy is a great orator. Impressive, one hour and only once he had to use his notes to quote somebody else.

I hope that he gets to do what he said he would, there is a great incentive for him, in two years we will have elections again and it is in his best interest to snatch the legislative from the PRD. A second term I am sure is not far from his wishes too.

There is a feeling of euphoria in the air, like we finally got through a messy divorce after a disastrous marriage.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
So nice to have a president that speaks spanish, is able to use big words, procounce consonants, etc.

And finnished a whole speach with zero campo sayings, racial slurs or swear words.

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Dear PIB,

I would describe the euphoria a little differently, as though the general populace as been working in a hot sugar cane field for the past 4 years without any relief from sun or mosquitos, and a messiah of hope has arrived to take them out of the field.

Viva Leonel and by the grace of God he will slowly, but surely turn the country around again. I wish him the best and if I had the money of Paul Allen or Bill Gates, I would write him a measley check for $350 mil and pay off the abominable electricity bill.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Translation...

Dolores said:
Highlights of Inaugural Address of President Leonel Fernandez on 16 August
Thanks for the translation, Dolores. I knew I could spend my day yesterday being lazy and having fun, counting on you and DR1 to give us the important parts of the speech in words we can understand.
I owe ya a plate of ribs and a cold beer.
Marco.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Will take you up on those famous ribs!

FYI, the full dr1 translation version of the inaugural speech will be up later today with the dr1 daily news.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Leonel" is a great orator.I think he did a good job as President before!

Even some of my friends who have limited comprehention of "Dominican" actually understood what he was saying!
But the best part was watching a speech by the President of the Dominican Republic,without having my sub-concious mind keep saying over and over,"What A Phucking Idiot,What A Phucking Idiot,What A Phucking Idiot!"
I wish President Fernandez and his new government well!
For the sake of millions of poor Dominicans, he must now deliver upon what he has promised.
Cris Colon

JANET/NJ

Jun 21, 2004
MrMike said:
So nice to have a president that speaks spanish, is able to use big words, procounce consonants, etc.

And finnished a whole speach with zero campo sayings, racial slurs or swear words.

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
ONLY IN DR COULD A MORE UNCULTURED PRESIDENT HAVE BEEN ELECTED....I ALWAYS TEASE MY FAMILY ABOUT THEIR PRESIDENT.
LEONEL IS VERY WELL EDUCATED........HE'S NOT A CAMPESINO.
AND LET ME TELL YOU I KNOW CAMPESINOS THAT ARE BETTER EDUCATED THEN HIPOLITO.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It's usually located on the left hand side of your keyboard, it has the words Caps Lock written on it, please use it!

kingofdice

Jan 16, 2002
Dear Dolores and DR1 Staff:

Thank you for the thoughfulness in publishing Leonel's inauguration speech in English. I read it with interest and am grateful for the translation. Excellent job.

PHH

Aug 18, 2004
I wish that were true...unfortunately...

This is a DR, not US related message board.

Thanks,

Robert (DR1)

Last edited by a moderator:

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
L.F. comes out swinging

It looks like Leonel is walking the talk as he has anounced among other things that he will ax 100 generals from the extensive collection of generals milking it in the DR Armed forces in the coming days, although, there are generals trying to bail out the wagon and requesting early retirement to tie down a steady paycheck from the Gov. The most generals that will get the gillotine are from the ejercito (army) but he's also going to balance the act by clean sweeping generals from the Navy & Air force in a mission to drop capital spending 20% and get rid of redundant employees specially at the central bank where it takes 3 people to change a light bulb and they have plenty of personnel for that.