Minister of the Environment- who is Maximiliamo Puig

vjmiller

Aug 16, 2004
I am curious of the background and experience of the new Minister of the Evironment. Also, does anyone know if the new administation is focused on green issues or all of the problems in the Park of the East.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
He is more commonly known as Max Puig, and is part of the APD - Alianza por la Democracia, a small independent political party that broke away from the PLD a few years ago. The APD lend their support to the PLD at election times and in return their leading figures receive appointments in the new administration. In the 96-00 PLD government he was in charge of the EU/Lome development fund, and appeared to do a good job.

Max is always very knowledgeable and articulate about national and international issues, but I have never seen him discuss the environment in depth.

I don't know what the new government will do in practice, but in principle they have been critical of the previous administration's actions on the Parque Nacional del Este issue.

Chiri

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Max Puig nomination is excellent. He is honest, very educated and well read, experienced in working with international organizations, and I would bet highly that he will work for the Dominican Republic's best interests. Since he is a politician, he will know how to tread through the rough waters.