So Long Hippo!

Gringo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
So long Hippo!

You set this Country back 20 years.....Now just maybe if its not to late we might be able to go forward once again.

Hasta la Vista your baldness!

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
Pal' Carajo

The Bubonic plague is finally over.. Let's move forward. Better yet, let's open a few cold ones and celebrate.

Zeus (primus inter pares). :laugh:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I loved it when Leonel said:

"Fondos publicos no seran usados para funcionarios publicos comprar jeepetas o llamar larga distancias..." That was a virtual slap to Mr. Baldness.

Ok, people. The circus is now gone! Lets get back to work!

I repeat, THE CIRCUS IS OVER!!

Now comes the progressive years once more. It's going to be like Leonel said at the end of his speech: "E palante que vamos, e palante que vamos, e palante vamos".

lizzyjl80

Jun 16, 2004
I Know I Said It On The Other Thread But I Need To Say It Again

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

I CANT STRESS IT ENOUGH

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

ALL TOGETHER NOW

E PA LANTE QUE VAMOS

quejeyoke

Jun 20, 2004
am glad the uncontrolled madness is over. The feeling of relief I get is very very similar to when Salvador Jorge Blanco a.k.a. Hippo sr. got the presidency stripped from him back in the 80's. Now, like singer Rick James used to say "It's a celebration!!!"...

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Nal0whs said:
Now comes the progressive years once mores

I am sure some people had a similar confidence when Hippolito began.

I am not saying Leonel won't do well, I am simply saying that they promise this and promise that - will everyone be happy 1 year later?

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
you know what they say...

tired_boy said:
I am sure some people had a similar confidence when Hippolito began.

I am not saying Leonel won't do well, I am simply saying that they promise this and promise that - will everyone be happy 1 year later?

you can please some of the people all of the time or all the people some of the time, but not all the people all of the time...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Not So "Tired Boy"! We all knew when the PRD,and "Hippolito" took office,

that we would be in for a rough ride! The PRD has a history of stealing/fraud/corruption/selling out the Country for their personal gain/etc!They not only lived up to their reputation,they surpassed it!
The situations are VERY different,"Leonel" is a smart,and educated man,"Hippolito",is an ignorant crude buffune!
I have hope,not for a "Miracle Cure" for the problems of the DR,but foran orderly,controlled attempt to right the train wreck,and start the slow process of rebuilding this economy!

PS,to those who like to "PM" me ,and others,saying that if we have nothing good to say about the DR,we should leave,Leonel might have taken his speech about the "Problems" in the DR,including the "dominican society",right from DR1!You can't begin to work to correct a problem,if you can't first recognize that a problem exists!Since most of those who are bothered by truthful criticisms of the DR and it's citizens are just "AIers" still basking in the afterglow of their week in Puerto Plata,I don't place much value in your negative comments.Rather than me and some others leaving in response to the problems in the DR,maybe you should come here to live,work,raise a family,and pay taxes before you pretend to know what "Real Life" is like for those of us who actually DO!
Walk a mile in our "Chancletas"before you criticise us for our complaints about"Sore Feet!"
Cris Colon

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Walk a mile in our "Chancletas"before you criticise us for our complaints about"Sore Feet!"
Cris Colon

very true, well put. it's obvious hardly anything is going well there now. i say, with leonel, it has to improve. i feel he actually "cares" about the DR.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Criss Colon said:
Since most of those who are bothered by truthful criticisms of the DR and it's citizens are just "AIers" still basking in the afterglow of their week in Puerto Plata,I don't place much value in your negative comments.Rather than me and some others leaving in response to the problems in the DR,maybe you should come here to live,work,raise a family,and pay taxes before you pretend to know what "Real Life" is like for those of us who actually DO!
Cris Colon

Can you just enlighten me?

Who are you directing these comments to?
Who is the 'you' in your post?

Has someone said something that I have missed?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Tired-boy---

obviously, you haven't been reading all the hot & heavy commentaries on this and other threads. Go back to the archives and get yourself up to date.

There are those who post in every thread who try to turn that thread into a platform of distorted 'facts', fallacious reasoning, and general 'oh poor Dominican Republic' who hasn't been able to function politically, economically, etc. because of alluded to 'outside influence'.
I won't get into 'nameing', because those that have done this know who they are. I will say that some of us have made attempts to defuse their retoric with a little success, but will never be able to stop it completely.
These people take the attitude that there is very little 'home-grown' fault in the problems that have presented themselves over the years and that the fault lies almost completely outside the soverign bordes of this State.

Again, go back to the archives and do some research if your question was asked in a serious manner.

BTW, this is not a chastisement, but an honestly rendered suggestion.
Texas Bill

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Well said TexasBill!

The one thing that has been missing for the last few years is now back amongst the people, HOPE!

Time will tell, but the mere fact people now have hope and optimism, makes the tough process ahead easier.

I'm guessing we will not see the PRD for a long while...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was in Santo Domingo after the 2000 elections and there was celebration, optimitism and hope for the future. Now with the benefit of hindsight we knew how misguided that was, and how good those four years were compared to the ones that followed, but to say there was no discontent with the PLD government, or no celebrations of the PRD victory, as CC implies, is untrue.

The other matter CC raised in his reply - the debate about who to blame for the DR's problems - was nothing to do with tired_boy's statement, but I don't blame him for taking it as an unprovoked attack.

Chiri

Apr 26, 2002
Texas Bill said:
There are those who post in every thread who try to turn that thread into a platform of distorted 'facts', fallacious reasoning, and general 'oh poor Dominican Republic' who hasn't been able to function politically, economically, etc. because of alluded to 'outside influence'.
Read: Anyone who disagrees with Bill uses fallacious reasoning (whatever that is). Sorry, Robert, I can't applaud that statement. I also can't applaud preemptive attacks on other posters.

To say that the US and the other wealthy countries have no import to the DR and its problems is like saying that the sun has nothing to do with gravity on earth.

Obviously, anyone who says that outside forces are completely responsible for the DR's problems is ignorant and biased. But no more so than some of the Americans expats who pretend that the government of their country, the most economically (for now) and militarily powerful on the planet, is guided solely by Christian moral principles, free trade and democracy, and has no "gravitational pull" on tiny countries a stone's throw away.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The only people "Happy" about "Hippolito's" election 4 years ago,

Were the people who wanted to go back to the "Something For Nothing" government of the PRD! The "Give-A-Ways",the "Jepettas",the "Land Grabs",the "Sweetheart" deals,the fraud,corruption,lies,and the outright theft of the countries future!
Was there corruption during Leonels term,"Hell Yes",but it pails in comparrison to the "Masters of Deceipt" from the PRD!
As an "Outsider",yet with 18 years experience here,I have no particular "Party" to support or favor.Yet it soon became apparent which party was out for personal gain,above all else,the PRD!!!!

Please explain who Hippolito can swear that he will respect the "Constitution" and not run for a second consecutive term,and then do just that??
Easy,he is an Amoral A$$HOLE,thats how!

We can look back and actually "SEE" how things became better here during Leonel's tenure! Especially the infrastructure.What has gotten better under "Hippolito? "Absalutamenta Nada",except leave the country on the verge of bankrupcy!
Cris Colon
I "edit" this post after reading the above post blaming "America" for all the DR's problems!
I will now add a, "SEE WHAT I MEAN"??? :cross-eye

Apr 26, 2002
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Obviously, anyone who says that outside forces are completely responsible for the DR's problems is ignorant and biased.

Criss Colon said:
I "edit" this post after reading the above post blaming "America" for all the DR's problems!
I will now add a, "SEE WHAT I MEAN"??? :cross-eye

Completely knee jerk -- actually, nonsensical is a better word -- response on its face.

Criss, I didn't know you worked for Fox News?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Porfi---

I'm sure you are sick and tired of we 'expats' continuing to point the finger of fault in the DR's direction. I don't blame you in the least, I feel the same way when someone does that toward the US.

I'm sure some posters do so out of a sense of frustration for the seeming failure of the populace to make an attempt to correct the failure of the government to serve them as it should. To make that attempt at insisting on corrective action by the government is an ingrained characteristic of the American Public and we just don't understand the lack of that same characteristic in others. It is more of a social more type thing.

As to making a 'preemptive strike', I deny that that was even in my mind when making the above post. And I'm sorry you took it that way, although in re-reading that post, I can see why/how you interpreted it in that manner. For the benefit of yourself and others I will attempt to be more clear in future and not step on too many toes without intending to do so.

Personally, I am one of the first to come down hard on the actions, both overt and covert, of any Administration of my government, when I perceive that it has taken a false turn. I will admit to taking my time in doing so, because there are many times that the reasons for those actions is not evident immediately. When they become obvious and I object to them(the actions) then I do speak out. I have refrained from commenting on many of the actions taken because they had nothing to do with the DR and I really am reluctant to go against the edicts of the management. "T'aint fair McGee!" to do so and maintain equilibrium in this milieu.

In case you haven't figured out what I mean by "fallacious reasoning", here it is: That reasoning which is based upon false, insufficient, faulty, and/or insignificant logic which leads one to an incorrect sollution to the problem being defined/explored. An example to which would be the statement; "Black is Black, White is White and there are no colors/shades in between". Make sense??

And, after reading your last post, I can see that you are in self-denial and can't accept 'constructive criticism' about DR.

Texas Bill