Quick question regarding small gifts

puppylove

Nov 24, 2002
I will be again returning the the beautiful Dominican Republic this coming winter. This time I will be visiting the Punta Cana area and can't wait to see the white sand....
Anyways, a number of reviews I've read indicate they tip the maid staff with gifts and money. I've always left a few dollars, but would like to have an idea of the types of small gifts left.
This past winter I did bring along a dozen Canadian flag pins which were handed out of staff we saw and spoke to frequently.

Thanks,

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
puppylove said:
I will be again returning the the beautiful Dominican Republic this coming winter. This time I will be visiting the Punta Cana area and can't wait to see the white sand....
Anyways, a number of reviews I've read indicate they tip the maid staff with gifts and money. I've always left a few dollars, but would like to have an idea of the types of small gifts left.
This past winter I did bring along a dozen Canadian flag pins which were handed out of staff we saw and spoke to frequently.

Thanks,

$.99 - $1.99 at drugstores, Nail Polish, Lipsticks, etc

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Gifts

Just give cash!
If you want to be creative, go to a "5 and 10" store and get little perfume samples and soaps and makeup. The bartenders love any T shirts/baseball hats with sports teams logos on them. Why would anyone want a Canadian Flag pin? (Just teasing!)

Jimmydr

Bronze
Apr 17, 2003
www.insearchofchicas.org
Lechero said:
Just give cash!
If you want to be creative, go to a "5 and 10" store and get little perfume samples and soaps and makeup. The bartenders love any T shirts/baseball hats with sports teams logos on them. Why would anyone want a Canadian Flag pin? (Just teasing!)

I forgot about soaps, they love um!

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
JimmyDR:

A little birdy told me you bring an extra carry-on with all your chica's gifts!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
With the exchange rate still around RD$40, a few bucks are very well received. You might also consider school supplies for employees with kids since they'll have to buy stuff pretty soon anyways... strange looking gadgets, keychains, anything that looks really cool is always well received too. Heck, my mom brought down a full suitcase for me last month and I felt like a kid receiving Christmas gifts! I should know!! lol

puppylove

Nov 24, 2002
Thanks so much!

Thanks so much for all the responses.... this is what I thought but just wanted to be sure. I know just small jesters mean so much, it brings tears to my eyes too.
Can't wait to return!

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Money = Tips

puppylove said:
Thanks so much for all the responses.... this is what I thought but just wanted to be sure. I know just small jesters mean so much, it brings tears to my eyes too.
Can't wait to return!

There have been a few threads on this - the risk of nail polish and school supplies (other than not having a clue if they are suitable), is that a tip in cash is a normal practice in the hotel business, give it PERSONALLY to the maid so you are sure she gets it and not some other maid who came maybe once. The downside to the "gifts' is the quite obvious implication they are too poor to buy them or in the case of school supplies too poor to provide for the kids (if they have any, which they may not, although in teh DR that is pretty unlikely).

If you want to spend $20 on gifts, and are there a week, tip $5 a day in cash or pesos instead of $2 a day. You are not out any more dough and you allow the maid to save face.

I tip the maid well and often, get great service and not once have I dreamed of non-monetary items, which is the same as you would not do in NYC, or LA, right? And if you think the maids in NYC or LA are much better off they aren't.

NB: For those whose home country is not paranoid about travel to Cuba, if you go there the supplies may be a useful adjunct to appropriate cash tips as if they do need them they can't buy them even with US$ money 1/2 the time. Lots of tourists form here take a whole school classroom's worth of supplies to Varadero, Havana, etc. Last time I was there the AI resort ( never again) didn't have light bulbs, they had lots of hard currency but there was a national lightbulb shortage.

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
Gifts

I believe that the best gift for your maid would be cash...or school supplies.

The supplies, which are in great demand for the children, are always a good thing to bring...but if you wish to be sure, then also supply some good tips.

When we travel, we also tip generously, as they do a great job, and the cash can always be used for something..agreeing with ricktoronto here.

Leave a little more...feel a lot better!

Cheers
Jimmy

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
To Dominican Babe

Dominican Babe said:
I always take gifts for the people I know well, and give a monetary tip to those I don't.

I'm curious to know what type of gifts do you take to people you know well. We are bringing gifts too, but are a bit afraid that they might be such a kind that they could offend the receiver. We are taking gifts which in our country are normal gifts for e.g. birthdays, christmas and other special occasions.

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Canadian Tip

Chareena said:
I'm curious to know what type of gifts do you take to people you know well. We are bringing gifts too, but are a bit afraid that they might be such a kind that they could offend the receiver. We are taking gifts which in our country are normal gifts for e.g. birthdays, christmas and other special occasions.

I bring Maple Syrup ( and I guess that is quite Vermont-y too) as they like things dulce and it is tasty and I presume impossible to get in the DR. Also, I bring Ice Wine which I know is near impossible to get (probably more so than syrup is) ,as it is locally made where I live and sweet and quite rich. The downside it is not too cheap but for the oenophile, very popular.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Lol... my mom brought me 2 cans of maple syrup when she came down. The only thing you can get down here is Aunt Jemima... I'm trying to stretch them as much as possible!

Dec 9, 2002
I'm curious to know what type of gifts do you take to people you know well
It just depends on who I'm buying for and what they like, or what they need - just the same as people you buy gifts for at home. I generally stay at the same hotel whenever I visit, so have got to know a few of the staff very well, and we keep in contact whilst I'm here in England. These are people who I class as friends, rather than workers. They all appreciate gifts - indeed they have all at one time or another refused to take a monetary tip from me, so now I don't even offer it to them anymore. But people who I don't get to know - such as the maid, I always leave a few dollars.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
i take candy (mini candy bars) in those big packages, makeup, clothes on sale from old navy ($3 nice v-neck shirts) and walmart, necklaces, etc. perfumes, and dollar store cars and dolls ... also stickers also at dollar stores for children can color up those school notebooks, mini stuffed animals, interesting keychains. markers and stuff too perhaps..