Columbus Never Left Afterall!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
After years of speculation, Spanish scientist have concluded that Christopher Columbus bones are the ones found in the Faro A Colon in Santo Domingo, not the one's in Seville, Spain.

In a way this is good news, because of the following reasons:

1. Columbus wished to be buried in the island he loved best. It's always nice to honor someone's wishes, especially when they are not around to see if it was honored.

2. Despite the fact that I feel that the $200 million used to build the Faro A Colon was badly used money with good intention, it kind of feels good to know that at least that gigantic monument holds the very bones of the person it glorifies.

BTW, I say badly used money with good intention because Balaguer thought millions of people would flock to the DR to see the bones of Columbus, the great admiral. The only problem is that Columbus is not as popular as he used to be, so the return on that $200 million investment came in short of expectations. But, if the time was right it would have been one of the most popular tourist spot in the world, like the Eiffel Tower or the Empire State Building of the DR attracting millions of tourists who would have emptied much of their wallets while on vacation in the DR, helping the economy in the process. But timing is everything and unfortunately the Faro is there not receiving the amounts of tourists it was meant to attract.

3. Hopefully people from around the world (Columbus lovers and haters) would now come the SDQ to at least see his now confirmed bones. I least, I wish they come to see what's left of a man that was considered to be among the bravest of all for hundreds of years, a man that lead to everything the western hemisphere has become good and bad. Santo Domingo would benefit from such increase in tourism and tourism dollars.

Here is the link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,,1280441,00.html

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Somehow I doubt that Trujillo's pet project would have become the new Eiffel tower. This ain't Paris, and that ain't the tower.

I am completely underwhelmed by the revelation that Columbus bones are here. But that may be just me... and the Dominicans who thinks he is a jinx.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Maybe it's just the circles I move in, but I have never met a Dominican who thought it was a good idea to build that thing, let alone one who is proud of it.

Chiri

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
At least it?s there

The 200 million spent on Faro Colon is a very good investment. I think that for a tourist the Faro Colon is the one shot get to know Dominican Culture place.

It is the only place in the country where a guy fresh off the boat can go and get to learn the Dominican history and values.

On this board the general trend is towards the merengue and caba?a culture and the rich history of the island is almost never mentioned. The Faro Colon fits right in with the old churches, fortresses, cemetrys etc etc and adds to the cultural pot.

Now on the other hand, the lights (when they do light it up) is an extravagant waste of precious electricity and that should be kept for special days like independence, x-mas or the new years eve.

Many people are still not aware of the last dicovery that the remains actually belong to the great Almirante. But, it will slowly and surely spread out in knowledge and importance between the populace which is rigth now embatteled in making a living.

Then I think it will not be worth going to Santo Domingo for the first time and not see the Faro Colon.

SalsaBlondie

Aug 28, 2003
Nal0whs said:
After years of speculation, Spanish scientist have concluded that Christopher Columbus bones are the ones found in the Faro A Colon in Santo Domingo, not the one's in Seville, Spain.

hopefully it'll bring masses of tourist money, but i still say it's an ugly thing though.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I'm not happy that thing was built and I certainly do think that its an eyesore. But reality is that its there, so we must find a way of "accomodating it" into our minds and learn to love it.

After all, the Eiffel Tower was not really loved by Parisians at first and look at now, Paris is not Paris with out it, at least symbolically. And what about the world trade center towers, they were ridiculed beyond belief in the 1970s construction period. On Sept. 11 many New Yorkers realized that they had a secret love of the towers, aside from the magnitude of that tragedy of that day, many New Yorkers and tourist miss the fact that you can now see the NY skyline and the Towers are not there anymore.

So, maybe the Faro is not something to brag about, but it is there and we must learn to love it.

Maybe someday people would fall in love with Columbus again, and then the Faro will become the money machine it was meant to be, in terms of tourist flocking here to see it and along the way leaving a trail of Dollars, Euros, Yens, Pesos leading to different shops, services, and restaurants all over Santo Domingo.

Here is another link for those of you not familiar with the Faro, its rocky history, and its purpose. Again, I'm not proud of it, but learning to love since is always in my way when crossing the Mella Bridge or from the Plaza de Espa?a in the Colonial Zone. Here, take a look...
http://www.indiana.edu/~r317doc/dr/faro/farohome.html

Last edited:

eldorado

Aug 27, 2004
Faro farce

"The 200 million spent on Faro Colon is a very good investment. I think that for a tourist the Faro Colon is the one shot get to know Dominican Culture place. It is the only place in the country where a guy fresh off the boat can go and get to learn the Dominican history and values. "

You've got to be kidding. Are you saying that there was nowhere you could find out about Dominican history before the Faro went up in 1992? What about the Ciudad Colonial? The Parque de la Independencia? La Calle del Conde?

"On this board the general trend is towards the merengue and caba?a culture and the rich history of the island is almost never mentioned. The Faro Colon fits right in with the old churches, fortresses, cemetrys etc etc and adds to the cultural pot."

I ask again - are you kidding? The Faro is a huge monstrosity of whitewashed concrete, with no connection whatsoever to any of the colonial buildings of the past, either in appearance, architecture or historical authenticity.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The Faro A Colon is already the most visited monument in the Dominican Republic and the Caribbean!

That monument is ugly, I agree on that, but its starting to do its purpose. Now that it has been confirmed that Columbus is really in the lighthouse, maybe more people will flock to Santo Domingo out of curiosity to see whatever is left of the navigator.

I personally don't care either about the monument or Columbus, I just care about the money making possibility that monument can create with so many visitors coming to the DR. You know, the visitors need more places to sleep, eat, play! They need transport, they need diversion, they need more economic enhancing and job producing things. All in all, its a good deal.

Also, Dorado, there are other places where people can learn about Dominican history, its just that its not very convenient. You need to walk alot around the Colonial Zone under that hot sun to figure it out. The faro is just there with much info available.

Also, it doesn't matter what people think about it anymore because its there and its not going to go away. Its supposedly one of the safest buildings in the world, built in a way that it is protected from hurricanes and earthquakes, though not terrorist and I'm sure some will love to attack it since the monument is not only commorating the virtues and braveness of Columbus, but its a monument to christianity. That is a very evident fact due to the fact that the monument is a huge cross in its self.

Click on this link to learn more about the monument itself and its purpose:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Speaking of Columbus-----

There was a very interesting and informative show on the History Channel last week addressing the origins of Columbus and whether or not his bones were in the DR or in Spain.

In addition, there was a great deal of evidence supporting that Columbus was actually a "Colon" and was a native Spaniard in disguise.

All in all, a very interesting show, historically.

May one of the Dominican TV stations will arrange to show it here since it came through originally via sattilite.

Hillbilly, any comments??? You're the History Professor here.

Texas Bill

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
Texas Bill said:
......In addition, there was a great deal of evidence supporting that Columbus was actually a "Colon" and was a native Spaniard in disguise......

apart from the fact that i thought he was italian, i'm not sure what was meant when stated that columbus was actually a "colon".....i didn't see the programme. could you please elaborate? thanks.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
There was a great deal of research---

by a historian (don't recall his name) who had much of the correspondance of Columbus analysed by linguistic experts. These experts determined that Columbus could not have been the son of a fisherman (?) as claimed because of the language he used, his writing evedently being that of an aristocrat, and many other inferences derived from his writings. Evidently he referred to himself, on several occasions, as being a "Colon", an arisocratic family of mercenaries from Barcelona (a part of Catalan) and because that family had opposed the ruling family at one time, by hiring out against them in sea battles, he hid the connection and didn't deny the Italian references. Also, if I recall correctly, he never wrote in Italian, but always in Catalana(?).
The program was over 2 hours long, so there is much that I don't recall about it. The above is a thumbnail reference and will suffer from 'gaposis' I'm afraid.
There was also a segment dealing with the DNA investigation of the bones alledged to be those of Columbus. Samples were taken from the DR and from Spain for the tests.

I really wish that one of the local TV stations would show the program here. It would be an historical presentation and beneficial to the viewing public. Of course, it would behoove the station to advertise the presentation in advance so as to foster interest and to effect maximum viewing by Dominicans.

Texas Bill

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hillbilly" is really OLD,and has lived in the DR for a LONG time!

but I doubt that he is old enough to actually have known 'Cris"!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Nal0whs said:
That monument is ugly, I agree on that, but its starting to do its purpose. Now that it has been confirmed that Columbus is really in the lighthouse, maybe more people will flock to Santo Domingo out of curiosity to see whatever is left of the navigator.

I personally don't care either about the monument or Columbus, I just care about the money making possibility that monument can create with so many visitors coming to the DR. You know, the visitors need more places to sleep, eat, play! They need transport, they need diversion, they need more economic enhancing and job producing things. All in all, its a good deal.

Also, Dorado, there are other places where people can learn about Dominican history, its just that its not very convenient. You need to walk alot around the Colonial Zone under that hot sun to figure it out. The faro is just there with much info available.

Also, it doesn't matter what people think about it anymore because its there and its not going to go away. Its supposedly one of the safest buildings in the world, built in a way that it is protected from hurricanes and earthquakes, though not terrorist and I'm sure some will love to attack it since the monument is not only commorating the virtues and braveness of Columbus, but its a monument to christianity. That is a very evident fact due to the fact that the monument is a huge cross in its self.

Click on this link to learn more about the monument itself and its purpose:
Some people do not care if the they spent RD 200 million and that they place is ugly as hell. Believe it or not, some people oversee those things because they are more interested in it's history. I remember taking my daughter and son on their first trip to the DR and when I took them to El Faro Colon, they were amazed by it's history. One of the people that works there did such a great job explaining to my kids about the place, that up to this day, more than 10 years later, my daughter still tells me that when she go back to the DR on vacation, she will go straight to El Faro from the airport. Ugly, yes. Too expensive, yes. There is a lesson and a history to be learned, hell yes!!.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
miguel said:
Some people do not care if the they spent RD 200 million and that they place is ugly as hell. Believe it or not, some people oversee those things because they are more interested in it's history. I remember taking my daughter and son on their first trip to the DR and when I took them to El Faro Colon, they were amazed by it's history. One of the people that works there did such a great job explaining to my kids about the place, that up to this day, more than 10 years later, my daughter still tells me that when she go back to the DR on vacation, she will go straight to El Faro from the airport. Ugly, yes. Too expensive, yes. There is a lesson and a history to be learned, hell yes!!.

I know what you are saying.

I mean, I have taken some "good looks" into other praised monuments around the world (Eiffel Tower, Twin Towers when they used to exist, etc) and quite frankly, those buildings are not pretty at all.

I mean, you could see them as pretty once you value what they represented, but if there is no value, then it won't be pretty.

The Faro is not meant to be pretty, its meant to be informative and that start with the layout of the structure itself. Its the largest lighthouse on the planet to represent Columbus' love of the seas and love of sailing, its a giant cross to symbolize the christianization that came with the discovery, its a huge building to symbolize the almost bigger than life risk that Columbus took by sailing into an ocean nobody knew much about at the time, etc.

Once you value the structure for what it was meant to be valued for, then you begin to appreciate it.

Again, look at the Twin Towers in New York City. Two of the most hedeous buildings in the world and yet, they are being missed by most New Yorker and tourist that visit that great city. On 9-11 everybody knew that they had a secret love for the towers, despite their obvious uglyness, especially when compared to the Empire State Building or the nearby Woolworth Building.

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, but beauty is also in the understanding of things. Once you understand what was that Columbus accomplished, both good and bad, and you value that, you begin to see the monument as beautiful.

But, I personally don't care about those things. Yes, I do value the monument and I do understand the magnitude in risks that Columbus took, etc etc etc.

I am more concerned about the state of the economy at this point in time, so lets make the Monument become a money machine. Most people in the world don't know the monument exist to start with. I think, more people would come to check out this monument and in the process, more jobs will be created via new hotels, restaurants, taxi companies, tourist shops, etc.

guarocuya

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 30, 2004
it is our patrimonio nacional.

we must feel very proud of this monument because it represents who we are as culture and race. the spaniards and native of quisqueya " ciguayos , macorix, and araguacos" are who we are today. all our culture and language are composed by this two cultures. and this monument represents our history and heritage since the spaniards colonized us.

first, i was upset becuase it is like we give the spaniards the credits to what they did to ours race. But this monument represent what we are now.

also, we must do a monument to our antepasado los " native of quisqueya" and declare our symbol as a culture

to understand our culture, we have to know the people from venezuela , ecuador , colombia. they have similar way of eating , food and tradition. especially the people from venezuela are very very similar to us. even politically. this very obvious since the araguacos " from venezuela" were the most dominance culture in quisqueya.

this massage is not for cocolo and haitian invaders in DR. it is for real quisqueyano. we are people with very similar culture as venezuela.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
guarocuya said:
first, i was upset becuase it is like we give the spaniards the credits to what they did to ours race.

this massage is not for cocolo and haitian invaders in DR. it is for real quisqueyano. we are people with very similar culture as venezuela.
My only vice is coffee but I am willing to give a try to whatever you are on. :tired:

DRInMySoul

Aug 30, 2004
run for the hills!!!

regardless if one is proud of this thing or not...i know you'll get a laugh out of what some ppl thought the first time it shined brightly into our beautiful dominican night sky.

i've heard stories of ppl that thought the world was coming to an end the first night they saw that cross brightly lit up the night sky...i'm sorry but if it was true i would've loved to see that reaction!

guarocuya

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 30, 2004
lo siento Haitianito

Pib said:
My only vice is coffee but I am willing to give a try to whatever you are on. :tired:

I am so sorry haitianito you get bored but next time just make sure you are in haitian foro. go back haiti and read in pauta or african :smoke: :smoke: :smoke:

guarocuya

*** Sin Bin ***
Aug 30, 2004
to Porfio_Rubirosa

Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Shame Guarocuya is such a soon-to-be-banned a-shole. I actually liked his user name.

I actually liked his user name. me too porfio but I hope you are native of quisqueya to use this nickname instead h...... :rolleyes::rolleyes: ah, what you mean by shole :alien:

Status
Not open for further replies.