Cueva Fun Fun?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
About 25 years ago, while exploring around Comatillo, north of Santo Domingo, I was told by locals about a cave. We rode on horseback to the cave's entrance. Our horses panicked, and the guides were adamant about going further. They called the cave, 'la cueva de Funf?n' or 'la boca del infierno'. A river flowed from the cave. The guide's said it was called Almirante river. My companion and I entered the cave on foot, leaving the guides behind, and 'low and behold' both are flashlight's bulbs burned out. So we turned back.
About 5 years ago, I was invited by friends to a cave expedition around Hato Mayor. We practiced rappeling for about an hour before lowering down a forty feet drop to the cave's floor. We were given what appeared to be miner's outfits, with flashlight headgear. We walked several kilometers through the cave to the exit. At the exist I noticed it was the same cave I'd visited 20 years before. The expedition was fantastistic. At one point my son-in-law Heath lost his footing in the river. De still denies i saved his life ;-). The excursion was run by a German feller. It was a fantastic experience. I would do it again.

Mirador

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
I went there on my own a few years ago and was able only to go as far as the mouth of the cave. If things have not changed, the owner/operator of Fun Fun at that time only allowed organized group visits, meaning you book your visit in advance as part of a group. The visit to the cave includes horsback travel too and from the cave, guide, equipment, and a meal after the exploration.

Regards,
PJT

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Anyone know who to contact for a tour???

I haven't seen any adverts for it!
Might be somethings visitors would enjoy (we're always looking for things to keep our guests entertained!) ;)

David Dempsey

Jul 3, 2004
Cueva Fun Fun directions/Sabana de la Mar

Can anybody give me driving directions to Cueva Fun Fun/Boca de Diablo? I'll be driving through the area (hato mayor/sabana de la mar) and I just want to drive to it and see what it looks like.

Also, I'm assuming it is NOT true that the ferry between Samana and Sabana de la Mar now takes cars, right?

Thanks!