Illegal to take pesos in and out of the DR?

M

Matt Dahlberg

I'm going to the DR next week so I went down to my bank in order to change some money into DR pesos. Then the lady told me it wasn't legal to take pesos in and out of the country and adviced me to change into US dollars instead.

Is this correct? I've also heard that there could be some problems changing my Swedish money into DR pesos on site, cause the currency isn't wanted. What do you advice me to do? Only use the ATM machines using my VISA? Take dollars with me instead?

Matt

S

Stina

Ta med dig US dollar, antingen i rese-checkar eller kontanter. Jag har haft kontanter b?da g?ngerna jag har varit d?r. Hyrde deposit box p? hotellrummet. Ha en bra resa! H?r av dig om du fortfarande har n?gra fr?gor, annars n?r du kommer hem f?r att tala om hur du hade det. Stina

J

Jim Hinsch

Bring US Dollars. You'll get a better exchange rate once to pesos after you arrive. I've never heard it was illegal to take Dominican pesos into or out of the country, especially since they are readily available to be bought or sold at the cash exchanges in the Miami, Newark, and JFK aiports in the USA.

Jim Hinsch JimHinsch@CSI.COM

T

Tom

Matt

It IS illegal to take pesos in and out of country, but I have never heard of it enforced (I regualry take them out and back instead of going through trouble of exchanging).

You would most likely feel more comfortable and be easier if you simply brought USD with you, that way you can spend the dollars or convert to pesos as you like.

Tom

L

Loren

Tom may be right, but I understand the law differently. Before the early 90's, money could only be exchanged by the central bank, but that was changed, and now pesos can be freely exchanged. I strongly believe (but am not sure) that you can travel with them, and they can be exchanged away from the country.

US Dollars are the easiest things to change in the Dominican Republic, as there is a demand for them in the street, and in many places, you can even spend dollars. You will get a better deal if you change to dollars first. Also, Main bank branches can change all types of money, but you can change dollars at small banks, hotels, and even some restaurants.

I change my dollars on the street and get a better rate, but I would not recommend that until you know what you are doing and know your way around really good. If you look like a tourist, you might get ripped off. I have never had any problems, but I'm sure it happens.

E

ECH, M.D.

I think I have also read it is illegal to take Pesos in and out of the country. However, it is legal at exchange houses. My question: where would one SPEND Dominincan Pesos outside of the D.R.?

C

Charlie

I always take enough pesos with me when I leave so that I can pay for a taxi the next time I come back. I've never had a problem.

K

Ken

When my family travelled to Puerto Plata in Feb. this year, we went to our local bank and ordered $500.00 in Canadian to Dom. Pesos. No problem. We had our pesos in three days, the bank had to order them in.

S

scaramooch

Linda , that is the only reason why anybody would take any Dominican pesos out the country, or for a souvenir as they are worthles any where in the world,as any other third world currency.

F

Fabio J. Guzman

It is illegal to take out of the country more than RD$5000 pesos in cash (bills and coins).