More DR government questions

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
I realize that I am only a not-able-to-vote-here-American but in the last 4 years I have slowly became more interested in DR politics as I truely want to help enlighten what part of the masses that I can. My questions at present ar?;

1. What are provincial governors and how do they differ from the governors voted on every 4 years?

2. Exactly what is a decree? Is this a law that does not need to go before the chamber of deputies for approval?

Those of you out there who know how this political system works please help me out and enlighten me as I really want to know. I have tried to read the DR constitution without much luck and I know they have the three branches of government as we do but I know their laws are not ratified or vetoed as they are in the USA.

Rick

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Governors are the representatives of the President in each province. Can't think of any governor who is memorable. Sad to say, the position traditionally has just been another job-producing post for the party in power. Usually not much changes from governor to governor, they just represent a different political party, if a new party enters government. They are more symbollic figures than the mayors, who do handle considerable budgets and can do good -- such as the mayor of La Vega, has been pointed out as outstanding. The National District mayor has also gotten good reviews.

A decree is an instruction from the President. It cannot override a law. And yes, it does not have to go to Congress (Senate or Chamber of Deputies) for approval.

Laws here can be vetoed by the President.

Last edited:

Rick Snyder

Silver
Nov 19, 2003
Thank you Dolores

and I stand corrected on the elections of governors as it is the deputies and senators that are voted on every 4 years. The only question I presently have is if the president vetoes an introduced law does that introduction then go back to where it orginated and can the veto be over-ridden thereby it becoming a law?

Rick

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
My question is about the "Sindicos" and their---

responsibilities to the communities they serve and the maintenance of the infrastructure within their sphere of responsibility.

As an example:
The 'Sindico' of Manzanillo incorporates (so I am told) the villages of Copey, Santa Maria and Carbonera. Does this Sindico have the responsibility to maintain the roads and bridges within and between the communities mentioned and is it required to submit a budget for such, either on an annual or bi-annual basis? And which Federal department responds to the requirements set forth in those budgets?

I have asked this question of knowledgable persons here and have always received very vague answers for my efforts. No one seems to know exactly who has these responsibilities nor how they should be acted upon.
Are such responsibilities to act purposely kept from the public, or is it just plain ignorance?

Also, what is the true nature of the authority of the Sindico?

Texas Bill

edited to add the last question.

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Fabio J. Guzman said:
Rick, a presidential decree is the equivalent of an Executive Order in the US.

A presidential veto can be overriden by a 2/3 majority in both houses of Congress.
Then it is not quite like an Executive Order in the U.S., Fabio. EO's in the U.S. cannot be overturned by Congressional veto. Congress can pass laws contradicting points in an existing E.O., likely voiding it, but bet it would take a test in the Supreme Court before the President would recoginize it by re-iussing or evoking the E.O.
Best Regards,
Keith

P.S. As I understand it, decrees are supposed to be implementing instruments, that is to say, they must be based on existing law or direct consitutional authority, not created out of whole cloth.