returning with a goal

mmytacist

Aug 17, 2004
First post here, and i'd appreciate any words of encouragement. I am returning to the DR for only my second visit---a long trip from California. I am coming in order to 1. look at some Sto. Dgo. real estate (condos), and 2. R&R, with maybe some adventure (scuba, off roading, points of interest) thrown in. There have been many great threads on this board, and I have silently enjoyed the many diverse opinions. I especially like the "Challenge" thread, and I will rise to meet the challenge.

My first visit to the DR was with my friends, an American man and Dominican woman who have been married for 6 years. His experience was as a peace corp volunteer in the DR for 2 years, where he met his wife. Both speak excellent Spanish (mine is *very* basic). They really introduced me to the Santo Domingo area, and we traveled around the city and as far out as Yabacao before retiring to a resort in La Romana. As nice as the resort was, I have never forgotten the experience around Santo Domingo, and it is how I remember the DR, rather than the resort.

My goal in returning is to look at some of the property (primarily Arroyo Honda or Gazcue, perhaps Los Tres Ojos, if someone could recommend?) and perhaps purchase a condo. I have contacted a real estate agent, and a lawyer, Mr. Guzman, for a consultation regarding real estate purchases. I will most likely leave the condo vacant rather than rent while I am not there.

So, please, if you would: am I missing anything in preparation for this trip?

Thanks,
Ben

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Yes!!! You're missing me to occupy your condo while you're not there! jejejje :nervous: But you sound like you did your research...if you have any specific questions about life in Santo Domingo, will be glad to help!

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
mmytacist said:
First post here, and i'd appreciate any words of encouragement. I am returning to the DR for only my second visit---a long trip from California. I am coming in order to 1. look at some Sto. Dgo. real estate (condos), and 2. R&R, with maybe some adventure (scuba, off roading, points of interest) thrown in. There have been many great threads on this board, and I have silently enjoyed the many diverse opinions. I especially like the "Challenge" thread, and I will rise to meet the challenge.

My first visit to the DR was with my friends, an American man and Dominican woman who have been married for 6 years. His experience was as a peace corp volunteer in the DR for 2 years, where he met his wife. Both speak excellent Spanish (mine is *very* basic). They really introduced me to the Santo Domingo area, and we traveled around the city and as far out as Yabacao before retiring to a resort in La Romana. As nice as the resort was, I have never forgotten the experience around Santo Domingo, and it is how I remember the DR, rather than the resort.

My goal in returning is to look at some of the property (primarily Arroyo Honda or Gazcue, perhaps Los Tres Ojos, if someone could recommend?) and perhaps purchase a condo. I have contacted a real estate agent, and a lawyer, Mr. Guzman, for a consultation regarding real estate purchases. I will most likely leave the condo vacant rather than rent while I am not there.

So, please, if you would: am I missing anything in preparation for this trip?

Thanks,
Ben

I would also recommend Bella Vista neighborhood, La Esperilla, El Millon, and anything along the Malecon (the seaside avenue).

Other than that, don't let yourself be cheated with the "gringo" prices.

Welcome to SDQ!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
juanita said:
Yes!!! You're missing me to occupy your condo while you're not there! jejejje :nervous: But you sound like you did your research...if you have any specific questions about life in Santo Domingo, will be glad to help!

Me too!! I can even put in the guard dog!! lol Good luck in your search. You might want to get in contact with Remax/Century 21 to make you search a bit easier...

mmytacist

Aug 17, 2004
KateP said:
Me too!! I can even put in the guard dog!! lol Good luck in your search. You might want to get in contact with Remax/Century 21 to make you search a bit easier...

I remember seeing posts about Remax on this board, and they were not flattering... I admit that I read a lot of posts in the last week, so I might be wrong. If anyone has worked with a trustworthy, bilingual agent, I'd love a PM...