Tips at resort

k89mmk

Aug 26, 2004
Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving for a week in Puerto Plata on Saturday. I've never been in Dominican before and am really looking forward to it. I've heard that its nice to tip the cleaners with nice soaps, etc and some people bring school supplies. I was planning on bringing a bit of both. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MK

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Try a search of the forums. If you do you will find at least 3 good threads the last one being about 2 days old.

Tip with cash, in US terms- e.g. $2 or say RD$100 a day or more if you can pay it and to the maid directly not left on the bed or to management.

Think of a hotel in the USA, would you give the maid soap? No. And they get paid as badly, relative to the cost of living in the USA as DR maids get paid.

It implies, "hi, you are too poor to provide soap for yourself so instead of tipping you with money (with which, if you want, you could BUY soap), I brought soap from the land of gold and honey for you".

Tip cash like anywhere else. Don't tip the waiter in a restaurant or bar with soap either, or pencils or paper, they want money as well.

If you tip on the first day your service will be better too.

NB: It is not called the Dominican - the people or Dominican or as you said just "Domincian", it is the Dominican Republic, or the DR or la RD. You don't live in the United either.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
Damn you!

ricktoronto said:
Try a search of the forums. If you do you will find at least 3 good threads the last one being about 2 days old.

Tip with cash, in US terms- e.g. $2 or say RD$100 a day or more if you can pay it and to the maid directly not left on the bed or to management.

Think of a hotel in the USA, would you give the maid soap? No. And they get paid as badly, relative to the cost of living in the USA as DR maids get paid.

It implies, "hi, you are too poor to provide soap for yourself so instead of tipping you with money (with which, if you want, you could BUY soap), I brought soap from the land of gold and honey for you".

Tip cash like anywhere else. Don't tip the waiter in a restaurant or bar with soap either, or pencils or paper, they want money as well.

NB: It is not called the Dominican - the people or Dominican or as you said just "Domincian", it is the Dominican Republic, or the DR or la RD. You don't live in the United either.

Damn! Don?t you ever have anything nice to say, every stupid response of yours is an insult! You have to be pretty miserable?NEVER having anything nice to say!! :angry:
MK? Welcome on board and have a great time in the DR. :classic:

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
tips and gifts

I leave atleast $2.00 US every day and a small gift such as soaps, shampoo, perfume, nail polish, little gift bags with stuff, gum, razors etc. I have never gotten a bad response from the maids they are always nice and very thankful as I am to them for doing a great job. :classic:

k89mmk said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm leaving for a week in Puerto Plata on Saturday. I've never been in Dominican before and am really looking forward to it. I've heard that its nice to tip the cleaners with nice soaps, etc and some people bring school supplies. I was planning on bringing a bit of both. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
MK

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Jaunita, mind your own business :)

The fact is a search will uncover recent info, tips, solely other than cash ARE insulting to the staff (everywhere on Earth) , it still isn't called "the Dominican" (no matter how many times people say it) , and reading the boards first answers a lot - the most recent thread on this very subject is probably still active and had a lot of good advice.

My advice was accurate and wasn't aimed at you.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Music said:
I leave atleast $2.00 US every day and a small gift such as soaps, shampoo, perfume, nail polish, little gift bags with stuff, gum, razors etc. I have never gotten a bad response from the maids they are always nice and very thankful as I am to them for doing a great job. :classic:

Exactly. MONEY plus anything nice is fine. Pity instead of money is pity.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I've been a waitress so I know all about tips :laugh:
Besides you know they could use the money so give a little it won't hurt ya! ;)

ricktoronto said:
Exactly. MONEY plus anything nice is fine. Pity instead of money is pity.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
When you were a waitress did you want or expect soap? I bet not, unless the landlord wanted soap too.

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
You got it ricktoronto, that's why I always leave a tip the gift is just an extra. I usually buy small gift baskets I wouldn't want to insult anyone so I want them to know it's a gift! I understand what yoru saying I get some people who don't tip at my work so I get it for sure!!!

ricktoronto said:
When you were a waitress did you want or expect soap? I bet not, unless the landlord wanted soap too.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
ricktoronto said:

Couldn't resist. Another 'first-timer' gets the lesson.

Forbeca

Bronze
Mar 5, 2003
Money is the only way to tip. Personally, I wouldn't feel right giving a stranger soaps, lipsticks, etc.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Music said:
You got it ricktoronto, that's why I always leave a tip the gift is just an extra. I usually buy small gift baskets I wouldn't want to insult anyone so I want them to know it's a gift! I understand what yoru saying I get some people who don't tip at my work so I get it for sure!!!

Hotel maids are an often forgotten group ( say . vs. waitresses and bellhops) that deserve as much as anyone else. In the DR the pay is woeful and a tip may be 1/2 day's pay for them and 1/2 a beer in the US for you. It is important to tip them directly - good maids actually won't take money left in open view for them thinking they would be stealing it and a note is impersonal. Plus I find that my room is done first and best and I always have towels with a small propina each day to the girl that actually comes there .

Music

Bronze
Apr 19, 2002
www.flickr.com
I agree, I hope others are reading this!!!

ricktoronto said:
Hotel maids are an often forgotten group ( say . vs. waitresses and bellhops) that deserve as much as anyone else. In the DR the pay is woeful and a tip may be 1/2 day's pay for them and 1/2 a beer in the US for you. It is important to tip them directly - good maids actually won't take money left in open view for them thinking they would be stealing it and a note is impersonal. Plus I find that my room is done first and best and I always have towels with a small propina each day to the girl that actually comes there .

Yakitori

Jun 9, 2004
What is the beef with calling it 'the Dominican'. People say the US, or just America, and while technically not correct, it is not insulting. People also say OZ for Australia and no-one gets bent out of shape down there.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Yakitori

Watch out for a man in a cape on Calle 20 de Diciembre!

Last edited:

chuckuindy

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Good girl

juanita said:
Damn! Don?t you ever have anything nice to say, every stupid response of yours is an insult! You have to be pretty miserable?NEVER having anything nice to say!! :angry:
MK? Welcome on board and have a great time in the DR. :classic:
Now I understand that thing on your arm, you do have a bite. You just chime right in anytime you please.

Rick I think this little Canidian gal knows quite a bit about tourisim in the DR.
Charlie

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Who in hell!!!

ricktoronto said:
Nobody and I mean NOBOBY would want to be tipped with soaps. They can buy their own "jabon de cuaba" for 10 pesos. The reason that they are grateful when given soaps, lipsticks or marcaras is because, what are they suppposed to say, no thanks?. They get happy just for getting anything but I can bet my life that if given the choice, they would take the cash. When I stay at any hotel in the DR, I make sure to tip the maid in person and up to this day and more than 75 trips to the DR, my room is always cleaned in time and I always get extra everything. Ok, there have been one of 2 occasions that I got lousy service but 2 out of 75 is not bad at all. Schit, they even go out of their ways to please you. It amazes me what 2 or 3 dollars would make a person do.
Keep your soaps and give me cash, they can not feed their kids with soaps!!!.

k89mmk

Aug 26, 2004
Whats with the hostility? I was asking because I didn't know - I'm going to a place I've never been with a different culture, I didn't know what was acceptable. I have searched for posts with the word "tip" and it found nothing. From what I've heard, life in the :: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC :: is not exactly comparable to life in the :: UNITED STATES ::. This is why I was asking. Personally, I would love a gift left for me on my desk at work, whether it be bubble bath, money, or whatever else. Thanks for all the information people ... i will keep it in mind.

And ricktoronto, nope, I don't live in United. I live in Canada. :mad:

ricktoronto said:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
miguel said:
Nobody and I mean NOBOBY would want to be tipped with soaps. They can buy their own "jabon de cuaba" for 10 pesos. The reason that they are grateful when given soaps, lipsticks or marcaras is because, what are they suppposed to say, no thanks?. They get happy just for getting anything but I can bet my life that if given the choice, they would take the cash. When I stay at any hotel in the DR, I make sure to tip the maid in person and up to this day and more than 75 trips to the DR, my room is always cleaned in time and I always get extra everything. Ok, there have been one of 2 occasions that I got lousy service but 2 out of 75 is not bad at all. Schit, they even go out of their ways to please you. It amazes me what 2 or 3 dollars would make a person do.
Keep your soaps and give me cash, they can not feed their kids with soaps!!!.

I'm really sorry but I've got to differ. Very often what tourists leave are things that either they can't afford or don't have access to, not exactly jabon de cuaba I would say. I've personally know 2 maids who used to live nearby and they were very happy to come home with beauty products and toys for their kids. These people get minimum wage and often have to take care of several children. While some might not see it exactly the same way, I think most take it as it is. A gift. A way to say thank-you for doing a good job. While cash is always more useful, everyone enjoys getting a little something different once in a while.