cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
hello all,
i've been reading the posts on here and they have been very informative, thank you. now i was wondering if you could anawer some questions for me. i am heading to the cabarete, DR for the first time 9/18-9/25 and im very excited. i will be going with my girlfriend. i am also a girl. i was wondering how gays are accepted in the area? we are both relatively young and cute. out in public we keep the pda to a minimum, especially in foreign countries, but sometimes it happens you know. will this be a big problem and something we should watch?
also, i wanted to know if anybody had hotel advice. we want to be somewhere close to the beach and bars. i hear you can get a decent place for about $35. i was looking at casa blanca, caribe surf, pequeno refugio, or kaoba hotel. has anyone stayed here or heard anything about them??? do you prefer one over the other???
we arent kite boarders. just love to spend the day in the water with some waves and maybe a boogie board (rented). any advice on what part of the beach to aim for???
thanks for all your help!!!
sam

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
pda???

samara131 said:
hello all,
i've been reading the posts on here and they have been very informative, thank you. now i was wondering if you could anawer some questions for me. i am heading to the cabarete, DR for the first time 9/18-9/25 and im very excited. i will be going with my girlfriend. i am also a girl. i was wondering how gays are accepted in the area? we are both relatively young and cute. out in public we keep the pda to a minimum, especially in foreign countries, but sometimes it happens you know. will this be a big problem and something we should watch?
also, i wanted to know if anybody had hotel advice. we want to be somewhere close to the beach and bars. i hear you can get a decent place for about $35. i was looking at casa blanca, caribe surf, pequeno refugio, or kaoba hotel. has anyone stayed here or heard anything about them??? do you prefer one over the other???
we arent kite boarders. just love to spend the day in the water with some waves and maybe a boogie board (rented). any advice on what part of the beach to aim for???
sam
Cabarete certainly sounds like a great choice for the two of you.
You might as well just come down, make your way over to Cabarete, give the cab an extra 10 bucks to drive you around to various hotels and choose the one that's ideal for you.
Most of the time you can make a better deal in person and this way, you'll be sure you have found exactly what you want, rather than relying on websites and advertisements on the internet.
PS: What the heck is pda?

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
The biggest problem you will have is local guys not "getting" it and coming on to you constantly. There are usually a lot of gay people in Cabarete on weekends, but the women are pretty hard to spot in contrast to the flamboyant males acting out. (latin gay culture is still pretty immature) I think Dominicans that live near the beach are getting used to the fact that most young European and North American women are at least bi-curious when partying, so there aren't too many eyebrows raised - although if a Dominican woman were to behave openly gay in public it would be a huge scandal.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
I found out recently when someone I know had her brother who happened to be gay came to Sosua that there was a Gay bar in Charimicos. I am surprised Rocky hadn't mentioned that before.

I don't think there will be much more of a problem than what MrMike pointed out.

Scott

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Escott said:
I found out recently when someone I know had her brother who happened to be gay came to Sosua that there was a Gay bar in Charimicos. I am surprised Rocky hadn't mentioned that before.

I don't think there will be much more of a problem than what MrMike pointed out.

Scott
Yeah yeah yeah, we have heard all that before "the brother of a friend of mine etc etc etc...". why not tell us about your exciting experience at your newly discovered gay bar? Come on scott, we are all friends here.
AZB ;)

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Escott said:

Scott
I thought I might focus on the matter at hand, answering the questions asked, and fighting off the temptation of making remarks about seeing 2 women together.
So.... where's the gay bar?
How come you never told me about it?
Keeping it all for yourself?

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
ABout CasaBlanca and Mi Pequeno Refugio

About the hotels you mentioned, I think all them are pretty good. I have stayed on Casa Blanca. A close friend always stayed at Mi Pequeno Refugio. Of these two, Mi Pequeno Refugio is closer to the bars, what is great on the nights and even greater when you are coming back to your room drunk. CasaBlanca has delicious breakfasts.

About the public demonstrations of affection I suggest you to watch out how is it going the very first day. If you feel that there's no problem and the tolerance is enough to be comfortable, be yourselves. If you think that a little discretion will make it easier, then go with a little discretion.

The only one advise I can give you: try to hear the song "mujer contra mujer" from the spanish Ana Torroja (former singer of the spanish group Mecano). A very beautiful song, and a voice you'll never forget.

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
samara131 said:
hello all,
sam

Hi there,

Although I am "straight" I do know a gay hotel called Club Escape. It is just outside of Sosua. If you are flying into Puerto Plata you will pass through Sosua and just after the Sosua Car wash and before the Coastal Gas station (if you see this gas station you went too far) you will see a small sign on the left hand side called Club Escape. It is exclusively for the gay and swinging community. The man's name is Arthur.

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
DominicanScotty said:
Hi there,

Although I am "straight" I do know a gay hotel called Club Escape. It is just outside of Sosua. If you are flying into Puerto Plata you will pass through Sosua and just after the Sosua Car wash and before the Coastal Gas station (if you see this gas station you went too far) you will see a small sign on the left hand side called Club Escape. It is exclusively for the gay and swinging community. The man's name is Arthur.

hey everyone,
thanks for all the advice. i dont know about that hotel though. we're not into the swinging thing. we also really dont need to go to places that are specifically "gay", not really why we are going to the DR. i was just a little concerned in when i read about some gay theater actor who was killed in the dominican republic a few years ago. i was just just curious how it was accepted in the area. unfortuneatly its something we gotta think about. but i guess i have no reason to worry too much. but we'll still be aware. but, you know how it is, everyone gets a little more "friendly" when they've been drinking;)

thanks for all the hotel info as well. do you think driving around to the different hotels is the best idea? im not sure i want to do that after traveling all day. i was thinking we could book one of them for a few days and if we didnt like it, we could just find another one. or even head to sosua for a few days. are hotels cheaper when you're down there then through there site...are their rates negotiable??
which house in casa blanca is better...the one by the ocean, or the other one? hows caribe surf and kaoba hotel???
once again, thanks for all your help.
samara

gatoazul

Aug 24, 2004
Hi Smara

I like the most House I.

About the gay actor who was killed a few years ago, I think you are talking about dominican Jean Louis Jorge. If so, his murder has nothing to do with his sexual orientation, the killers were looking for money. In general, dominicans are not extremists.

Status
Not open for further replies.