OK, I'll share this secret

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And you are postin this because??

It is like preaching to the converted.

This sounds more like an advertizement, than a trip report.

Sorry to be skepticle, but it sounds fishy....

HB who does love that peninsula...

IrishKat416

May 12, 2004
Just Curious

does it really make a difference why he was posting? Sounds beautiful. Okay, that was my two cents!

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
IrishKat416 said:
does it really make a difference why he was posting? Sounds beautiful. Okay, that was my two cents!

Yes it makes a difference. It is insulting when someone tries to mask an adgenda. I read the post before it was edited and it was pretty obvious.

Larry

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Looks like I wasn't far off, huh?

And Kate, me darlin', me wild Irish Rose, me little piece of the old sod, let me enlighten you jus' a wee bit.

What was fishy is that there were two references to a website and a clear advert for a hotel. Therefore, my dear Watson, this was not a trip report, but a poorly veiled advertisement. And this is a no-no. It only costs about $20 a month to run a little classified, fer Crissakes!!

Another thing. The whole piece (before editing), did not contain even one reference to "I" or "we" nor one "did this" or "did that", so I think you can see my point?

When you go someplace as beautiful as Saman?, you have to say 'something' about what you did. My kids, for example, used to skateboard up and down the hills in the town! And we had our own parrot that ate out of the kids hands-he belonged to the owners of the apartment we rented. You talk about eating fish and coconuts ("pescado con coco" ) or you have never been to Saman?...

Get my drift?

HB :D:D:D:D

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hillbilly said:
And Kate, me darlin', me wild Irish Rose, me little piece of the old sod, let me enlighten you jus' a wee bit.

What was fishy is that there were two references to a website and a clear advert for a hotel. Therefore, my dear Watson, this was not a trip report, but a poorly veiled advertisement. And this is a no-no. It only costs about $20 a month to run a little classified, fer Crissakes!!

Another thing. The whole piece (before editing), did not contain even one reference to "I" or "we" nor one "did this" or "did that", so I think you can see my point?

When you go someplace as beautiful as Saman?, you have to say 'something' about what you did. My kids, for example, used to skateboard up and down the hills in the town! And we had our own parrot that ate out of the kids hands-he belonged to the owners of the apartment we rented. You talk about eating fish and coconuts ("pescado con coco" ) or you have never been to Saman?...

Get my drift?

People would see your point and concede that they might have been mislead if you weren't so unduly patronising with your post.

Let's keep the :) here

Japke

Mar 26, 2004
Hillbilly said:

Get my drift?

HB :D:D:D:D

I got it, I did not mean to insult anybody, and I do not own anything in LT. I wrote the thing as a report instead of a review with "I did this and I did that" because I thought it would seem more credible, but I guess that was not so smart. I have been a fan of LT since 10 years and come every year, just because I like it so much. Why am I on this mission to promore LT? Not for personal gain, but because many people I know end up going to POP or PC and have a completele different experience and I think they are missing the best part of the DR.
I am sorry for getting you all upset and mad at me. :eek:

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Japke said:
I got it, I did not mean to insult anybody, and I do not own anything in LT. I wrote the thing as a report instead of a review with "I did this and I did that" because I thought it would seem more credible, but I guess that was not so smart. I have been a fan of LT since 10 years and come every year, just because I like it so much. Why am I on this mission to promore LT? Not for personal gain, but because many people I know end up going to POP or PC and have a completele different experience and I think they are missing the best part of the DR.
I am sorry for getting you all upset and mad at me. :eek:

I found it useful, even when i have been about 10 times to Samana, I love it. Maybe "we" could get less nervous about losing some bucks... I think newbies to DR and or DR1 could find his report useful too.

"We" could be more polite too, when deciding to edit/close a post/thread.

Jess :bunny:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Me patronizing?

Naw, I was just pointing out the reasons that it was "edited" by the Webmaster.

I am wonderfully pleased that the OP was not pushing some establishment or other.

That peninsula is too beautiful for words, period....

Tired boy- Stick it! Is that patronizing??

HB :D

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hillbilly said:
Tired boy- Stick it! Is that patronizing??

No it isnt........the other post was patronizing, that comment to me is just insultive and totally unneccessary.

It wasnt your comments to the OP that were patronizing, it was the parts in bold in my quotation. I personally would like DR1 to be somewhere that people find useful and helpful not somewhere where they are told to 'stick it'. I am sure most people would agree.

On DR1 there are people who have more experience and knowledge than others - that is a major asset, its just a shame that some give over that knowledge in a patronizing way as if everybody else ought to know the same as them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Oh, I see

Actually, I was being fatitious, not patronizing...

Insultive? To you? Probably, although my posting history is rather shiningly vacant of insults, maybe you just pused a button,better left unpushed? He!!, I don't know why I said "Stick it" . You didn't really have to comment on my post that was rather tongue-firmly-planted-in-cheek...

I don't need to patronize anyone. Make fun of yes. Pull their hair a little, of course.

As the OP clarified, he was posting a description of a place he happens to like a lot. Great. And after his explanation, I'll take his post at face value. But you must admit a lot of us were weary of that OP....

As to the "Stick it"? Well...we'll see

HB :ermm:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hillbilly said:
I don't need to patronize anyone. Make fun of yes. Pull their hair a little, of course.

As to the "Stick it"? Well...we'll see

After 4,372 posts i would have thought you had got the gist of what the DR1 forums are here for.

Firstly, I don't see the need to make fun of people IMHO

Secondly, telling me to 'stick it' is not needed........and......we will see what about 'sticking it'?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
tired_boy said:
After 4,372 posts i would have thought you had got the gist of what the DR1 forums are here for.

Firstly, I don't see the need to make fun of people IMHO

Secondly, telling me to 'stick it' is not needed........and......we will see what about 'sticking it'?

ONLY 4,372 posts?????? Seems like a darn sight more than that HB - more like 1.5 Mil after the last 6 or 7 years of postings!! Must be that most of them were on the previous DR1 format & that other "Bravenet" forum that sprung up for a while!! Must admit, didn't see too many derogatory posts over those 6/7 years & that is why we have become friends (Sod the golf - that's got nothing to do with it!!).

Tired_Boy. I know from other sources of all the good work you do & will continue to do & I believe you will be a GREAT contributor to this forum too. Get to know the old Curmudgeon's sense of fun, his manner of writing, his continuous humour (especially at himself) & you will realise here is one of the biggest hearts on this forum. Certainly his knowledge is unsurpassed by anyone else on this forum! Yes, he probably wishes he had not told you to 'Stick it', but it was said & you can get over that I am sure! If you are anything like I am lead to believe you to be, you & HB will become good friends down the line, probably very quickly!!

Champion the underdog by all means - you will find HB, myself & a couple or 3 others ready to support you, but "Role with it" a bit & you will understand my comments very shortly.

NOW, you great big Hillbilly bear, go have a 'Hole in One' like your son & get back to your normal disposition!!

Re the OP - yes I thought it was for free advertising too. Didn't have enough personal involvement & sense of enjoyment at doing things with the family. Glad to hear I might have been wrong!! - Grahame.

Tonto

Bushbaby speaks well of HB. I also speak well of HB
Fine intelligent man with more knowledge about the DR than most.

Now Tonto, go and play some more arcade games, there is one you will never be champion of and leave the business of advertising to those experts.

? the LONE Ranger

Rosemary

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 13, 2004
Blarney !!!

That IS all Hillbilly was guilty of Tired_Boy ! Jesus, Mary, and Joseph , he started right off with it ! "

Originally Posted by Hillbilly
And Kate, me darlin', me wild Irish Rose, me little piece of the old sod, let me enlighten you jus' a wee bit."

C'mon wee man , lighten up, surely to God,you must be a marvellous person your 'self now , and I know as sure as the sun is going to rise in the mornin,you'll be the first one to rise, get out to meet you're day,and begorra , isn't it the lovely way you have now, when you meet people that leaves them feeling what a great day it was for having met you ! Sure didn't you now, with that glorious smile of your's and the lovely teeth that the Lord himself blessed only you with, leave them feeling they want to come back and
meet you again and again !!!!!!!!!!!!

You have just had your first lesson in Irish Blarney !

Kate has yet to answer in rebuttal, obviously she has not taken it in an offensive way, she is most likely quite bemused as i was ! " Blarney-V- Blarney !
Patronizing ? Hillbilly ?? No Way ! just from the short time I have posted here , I have read enough to know ,patronization is something the man has far surpassed !
" Stick It " yeah ! with all the oh so manyyyyyyyyyy posts he has read and answered to, he has earned the right to feel the one - off times to express exasperation when someone like you Tired_Boy can not grasp what he is really putting across ! I do not intend this to be insulting to you, and i truly hope you will not see it as such !

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hlywud said:
Now Tonto, go and play some more arcade games, there is one you will never be champion of and leave the business of advertising to those experts.

Is it just me or would anyone else feel evem slightly peeved by this kind of comment.

First of all - I have contributed as best i can over the last 9 months and have made every effort to be understanding and welcoming to all people on DR1. Then all i get is the comment - go and play some arcade games. Thanks. If that is not a patronizing comment then i don't know what is. And Tonto????

Leave the advertising to the experts? I do.........and have done. I have not commented once on the advertising issue, i have not mentioned anything about anyones comments to the OP. I thought it was quite straight forward in explaining myself, the posts i have made shouldnt be confusing - the point is clear to see so i am not going to repeat myself.

Unfortunately i have noticed over the last 4 months or so that some of those on here with a higher number of posts are beginning to have less tolerance for us who don't have as much experience and knowledge. It's a shame. I hope i don't end up the same.

I am not going to add another post to this thread now, the point i was making is clear enough.

You must read

The original post was an advertisement edited and removed by Robert.
Many indicated it was an advertisement more than a trip report. Obviously you never read the post before it was edited.
As for the stick it mabe HB was a bit outspoken with his comments, but he is such a intelligent individual with much more Dominican Experience than most having lived in the DR for nigh onto 40 years.
The comment to go and play somemore games was meant to tell you to do something constructive rather than try and use feable rhetoric to flame the infamous HB, you obviously do not see the humor in the Tonto and Lone Ranger item that many of the older generation would.

"Tired_Boy. I know from other sources of all the good work you do & will continue to do & I believe you will be a GREAT contributor to this forum too. Get to know the old Curmudgeon's sense of fun, his manner of writing, his continuous humour (especially at himself) & you will realize here is one of the biggest hearts on this forum. Certainly his knowledge is unsurpassed by anyone else on this forum! Yes, he probably wishes he had not told you to 'Stick it', but it was said & you can get over that I am sure! If you are anything like I am lead to believe you to be, you & HB will become good friends down the line, probably very quickly!!"

A well stated fact by Bushbaby, so now if you would think and use the advice given,

Champion the underdog by all means - you will find HB, myself & a couple or 3 others ready to support you, but "Role with it" a bit & you will understand my comments very shortly.

The flaming of other board members doesnt come off to well here and should cease, if they are made you will find many who will come to the defense of other friends on the forums.

? Hlywud ""If most people said what's on their minds, they'd be speechless.""