rent-a-car in DR

bolle

Aug 27, 2004
:paranoid: :paranoid: Hi!
I want to know if somebody can help me by sharing some experiences with rent-a-car. I heard you can have a lot of trouble with police. is that true? i`m traveling to punta cana and i want to look around.
I would be grateful if you helped me :paranoid:

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Car and Driver

It is cheaper and safer to rent a driver for the day.
Do not be surprised if a few new scratches appear upon drop off.
The police are your easiest obsticle driving.
You can get rid of the police for 100 Pesos.
If you happen to have a small fender bender, it will really cost you.
Its ALWAYS the gringo's fault. The roads have just a few pot holes. Enjoy the country outside the resort, IMHO get a nice friendly driver with a new-"ish" car. Make sure you agree firmly on the price beforehand. Bien viaje!

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
bolle said:
I want to know if somebody can help me by sharing some experiences with rent-a-car. I heard you can have a lot of trouble with police. is that true? i`m traveling to punta cana and i want to look around.
Don't be fooled and think you'll be abled to bribe your way through every cop this will only land you in hot waters (not to mention the fact that it's unethical); a good rule of thumb, if you can't do it in your land, than you probably shouldn't apply elsewhere. A good horn (car) and brakes aswell as high state of alert while behind the wheel and you'll have a good time.

Lechero

Aug 11, 2004
Bad Advice

It is so much easier and less stressful to hire a driver.
BTW: You are allowed to drink and drive in DR.......literally.

Kaizen68

Aug 25, 2004
Dui..? Dwi,,,?

Lechero said:
It is so much easier and less stressful to hire a driver.
BTW: You are allowed to drink and drive in DR.......literally.
And that's good advise...? drinking and driving...?
Jeezzz...!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I think you need to read a few threads on this board.

Thousands of tourists rent cars every year here.
Very few have any real problems and most coming back will rent again.
It?s a great way to see the country and it?s gives you the freedom to go where you want, when you want.

My advice is to stick with a reputable company, so if you do have any problems like an accident, they will support you as opposed to some of the smaller ones that will walk away.

Many people on this board have rented from National cars and have been very happy with the service, support and general all round professionalism.

So what are the drawbacks?

Driving here is an art, this is not New York or London, more like Bangkok or Manila.

Drinking and driving is not legal, but the police have no real way to enforce it, so yes, many people drink and drive. As you can imagine, this can be no fun holiday time and it helps keep the accident numbers high.

I have not been stopped by a cop in years and my bet is if you rent a car, you will not be stopped either. I drive everyday and all over the country and in recent times never hear or see people getting stopped/shaked down. What you will get stopped for is not wearing a seatbelt and talking on a cell phone whilst driving. You can drink a beer whilst driving, but not talk on a cell phone.

Enjoy!

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
bolle said:

Go to a rental car company that has a good reputation and uses a contract. Keep the contract on your person NOT in the car! The police will hassle you perhaps for some money but other then that you will be ok.