Escott was right!!!

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
Quote: "Mexico sucks when compared to the DR. The people are ZOMBIES and never smile let alone dance. Come to the DR for beautiful people that continually smile even in the face of economic disaster that they are living through.
You will soon NEVER return to Mex!
Escott" End quote.

This was from Feb 2004, and I laughed at the thought of it then. I have been back to MX twice since and had problems that left me thinking maybe I don't go back.., and have now been back to RD three times with another trip in 30 days, god willing. And another planned for January. I am hooked beyond all reason on this country. :p

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
GAWD I love to keep reading this TITLE

Always happy to help a fellow traveler!

Enjoy your trips until you cant take it anymore and you move there:) I did.

Escott

PS> nice to get a pat on the back for spreading truth here.

Last edited:

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
All our family and friends keep saying to me and wife ' Don't you want to go somewhere different and see other things?'.............

NO........we love the Dominican Republic, we feel like it is our second home. When we land and drive out of the airport we feel like we have never been away. I do fancy going somewhere else sometimes but the pull of the DR wins everytime. The people are so friendly, we have made good friends there and the weather is just a little bit better than the UK (let the reader add sarchasm there!)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The only thing mexico has to offer is delicious hot tacos, other than that, I would never go there if my best buddy was not living there. Everytime I come back from mexico, I always swear to myself , never to return to this miserable country ever again.
DR is the country for me and santiago is what I call home.
AZB

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I like Isla Mujeres a small island off the coast of Cancun but the rest of the country is a dump

Apr 26, 2002
The food is more interesting, and there's more variety in beer, but other than that, it's the DR all the way. Take it from Escott, and take it from me. My family is Mexican and Dominican and the Mexican side prefers the DR both for visits and for marriage.

This was, though, not always the case. Mexico City is not the same as before. The DR should be careful not to follow the same path.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
jerryme said:
I like Isla Mujeres a small island off the coast of Cancun but the rest of the country is a dump
I have friends that have a small hotel there. I took my daughter for a Dolphin swim there and it was the best million dollars I ever spent!

Other than that the place sucks!

jerryme

Feb 1, 2004
I've been to Isla Mujeres about 5 times and I didn't know you could do the dolphin thing there

jrzyguy

Bronze
May 5, 2004
I have to chime in with the poster above....who never goes anywhere else. My co-workers and friends wonder why i dont travel to other places. I guess i eventualy will travel elsewhere....but I have developed some cool friendships in the DR...i am getting around to other places on the island more and more.

And to top it off....its is a very easy flight from NYC....and soooo affordable when there. Unfortunately I have limited funds....so i can only afford to go once a year for 10 days....not NEARLY enough. I really want to drive all over the island and see more and more....but when i get there i just tend to decompress and shed all my NYC stress...so i dont get around to doing all that much. Funny thing....durring mid-trip i called my place of work just to say hi and brag.....they didnt know who i was. I didnt sound anything like my self...i sounded relaxed...was talking slowly...and sounded happy.

bcmike

Jan 29, 2004
relaxing?

jrzyguy,
I was so relaxed on my trip at the end of May that i missed my plane home BY A DAY! Got up, went to look at my ticket, and damn...it says yesterday, so I did what any red blooded man would do, I went back to bed for more loving. (and when told, my amiga says "oh good, you stay another week")

And the friendships are priceless. My aquaintances in MX are just that, some are genuine friends, but not many, in RD I have to start counting my toes when I tick off the list of those I truly do consider friends now.

And my buddy is hooked as well. (another MX stalwart gone awry)! :cross-eye

Last edited:

Pavan

Jan 18, 2002
If Mexico sucks then forget P. Rico

If you guys think that Mexico sucks then Puerto Rico will be the armpit of the world.

Mexico is good if you are an outdoor guy who is into fishing, hunting, trekking, rappel, camping, 4WD, etc etc. Not to mention the food.

I live in Leon which is towards the center of the country and then on the North side of town which makes most US cities look like a waste dump.

Now nothing beats DR when it comes to living except the negatives, power, roads, traffic congestion and caos....but hey, I want that the DR to go backwards where it was in 1985 - 1994....I think the best years of DR!