info on local bus service please

emma-faye

Aug 28, 2004
Hi all,

I will be arriving in the Dom Rep in the next 24 hours..(I leave for the airport in 7 hours!) And I am trying to find out some more information of the local bus service. Is it safe for tourists to use? How much does it usually cost? Where can I catch one in the area of the Puerto Plata Village? What kind of destinations can I get to and what is there to see?
I'm not keen on a taxi as I want to get a real taste of the place and interact with the locals. Any info on this will be greatly appreciated...I'll be checking every few minutes for any replies!
Thanks guys. x

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Pretty easy, really there is no local bus service.

There are cheap and crowded intercity buses called guaguas, e.g. from Santo Domingo to Boca Chica there are a lot, and presumably between Sosua and Peurto plata etc., there must be something similar.

There are better intercity buses operated by Metro and Caribe between Santo Domingo and the northern cities via Santiago.

But buses like in a typical US town "intracity" , nothing like that. Walk or take taxis. If you are not a pretty seasoned traveler, have really good directions and speak very good Spanish I am not sure I'd recommend guaguas to start off with seeing the DR. Or the publicos, collectivos in Santo Domingo either.

To use a taxi you negotiate for a flat rate and not on a meter and it is less than you think - I hire a van and driver at times for 10-12-14 hours for US$75.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hope you get this

From POP Village (presuming you are staying at this All-inclusive)

POP Village is just inside the gates of Playa Dorada, tucked in between the 4th and 9th fairways of the golf course.

From there you can just walk out the gates (maybe a hundred yards and take a ten peso ride into Puerto Plata proper or over to Sosua. To the Right (west) for POP and to the left(East) for Sosua. Buses are safe and most people have a lot of fun. The big inter-city buses that go from PP to Santo Domingo or Santiago are very nice (but toruists say that the A/C is too cold!, so take a sweater..)

If you ask anyone at the hotel, I am sure that they will be happy to show you the ropes..it is a great way to get out and about.

HB:D

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Hillbilly said:
POP Village is just inside the gates of Playa Dorada, tucked in between the 4th and 9th fairways of the golf course.

From there you can just walk out the gates (maybe a hundred yards and take a ten peso ride into Puerto Plata proper or over to Sosua.

However...........when you get outside the Playa Dorada gates and someone stops to take you into Puerto Plata / Sosua don't expect the ride to be offered to you at $10RD. If you are going into Sosua they might say anything up to $300RD. You will have to tell them the price if you want to get the ride for cheaper, they see your AI wrist band and tourist sign round your neck and want to charge you ten times more than you can get the ride for.

Don't be pushed into getting a taxi either, they are waiting near the gates to try and get you to pay $20US to Sosua when you can jump in a guagua for not even $1US - and that will be a true Dominican experience if its full.

Enjoy yourself :)

(Guaguas - http://www.dr1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32651&highlight=guagua)

Last edited: