Not open for further replies.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Last edited by a moderator:

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Most of what goes on as Dominican ethnography is fiction, particularly with regards to music. The Merengue is derived from Carabin?, which takes its name from the Carib indians. For those familiar with the more archaic versions of Carabin?, only have to check the similitude of the movement and dance steps with current Wayuu and other (Arawak) dances in Venezuela.

Mirador

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Mirador said:
Most of what goes on as Dominican ethnography is fiction, particularly with regards to music. The Merengue is derived from Carabin?, which takes its name from the Carib indians. For those familiar with the more archaic versions of Carabin?, only have to check the similitude of the movement and dance steps with current Wayuu and other (Arawak) dances in Venezuela.

Mirador

Yea, but the music that dominicans make is very good music. The thing i dont get is why the haitian version called mereng never gets recognized or why they dont try to get that or thier other music to become big here in America too, not only with us haitians. Some Haitian music is very similar sounding to DR and verytropical and easy going, good to dance to. I want that pride that dominicans have. You have the great music and the baseball stars even if the poverty/economy in DR and the government corruption is similar they still have alot of pride.

eudi

*** Sin Bin ***
May 7, 2004
sorry but you need to chill

haitianobeisbol ,sorry but if you post in this site please dont post the same thing all over again .people get annoyed . like me..
your post so far are informative but dont mess it up.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
No problem

eudi said:
haitianobeisbol ,sorry but if you post in this site please dont post the same thing all over again .people get annoyed . like me..
your post so far are informative but dont mess it up.

No problem

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
And you are not supposed to post other peoples copyrighted material, as I suspect you didn't write this but got it somewhere - if the internet you should post a link to it instead.

Instead of such very long posts without breaks, break it up a few times into paragraphs, even if it is someone else's work it is very hard to read in one great big long paste.

Since you are so eager to post things, do you have your own opinion about what you did post or is this just something DR related you found?

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
ricktoronto said:
And you are not supposed to post other peoples copyrighted material, as I suspect you didn't write this but got it somewhere - if the internet you should post a link to it instead.

Instead of such very long posts without breaks, break it up a few times into paragraphs, even if it is someone else's work it is very hard to read in one great big long paste.

Since you are so eager to post things, do you have your own opinion about what you did post or is this just something DR related you found?

WOW, im gettin grilled the first day. CAN I WARM UP A LIL, GET WITH THE PROGRAM? DUE TIME i will put legit postings on here.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
haitianobeisbol said:
WOW, im gettin grilled the first day. CAN I WARM UP A LIL, GET WITH THE PROGRAM? DUE TIME i will put legit postings on here.

Is this guy for real? Was this a quote he didn't recognize as such? Imo it's simple either post your original words or post quotes (which does happen here) and refer to it as such.

Oche

Jan 6, 2004
Haitianobeisbol, don't take the heat, after all the moderators are the only ones who can tell you what you can or cannot post. Instead of thanking you for resuming discussions on interesting past topics these guys bombard you at will. Please guys give him a break.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Yea

Oche said:
Haitianobeisbol, don't take the heat, after all the moderators are the only ones who can tell you what you can or cannot post. Instead of thanking you for resuming discussions on interesting past topics these guys bombard you at will. Please guys give him a break.

Thanks

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Ok, New Topic

I turn 18 on November 1st, just in time for the elections. I am thinking about voting for Kerry. Who are the rest of you thinking about voting for and what is making your decisions.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Wow

ricktoronto said:
No thanks. Strip joints can be anywhere in the world and they are still a stupid waste of time , a rainbow with no treasure at the end of it, for more than a real rainbow. And they are far too loud fo rme anyway.

You always get at me talkin bout how i write "ghetto" online and all this negative stuff like im some bumb but here you are in a Thread about strip clubs which is degrating to women and not a very positive place with all the alcohol and putting dollars up a girls g-string. You talk about me and here you are talkin bout this.
Nice one Rick. How old are you, 50?, 60?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
haitianobeisbol said:
I turn 18 on November 1st, just in time for the elections. I am thinking about voting for Kerry. Who are the rest of you thinking about voting for and what is making your decisions.
Sorry, not about DR. Get your act together or this thread will be closed.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Wow

Pib said:
Sorry, not about DR. Get your act together or this thread will be closed.

Im sorry, i forgot everybody on this site lives in DR. The election in DR already passed and it was real cool ya got to vote from America. But this is an innocent question that involves the youth that lives here in America. GET MY ACT TOGETHER? WTF!? WHO THE F*** ARE YOU?

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
haitianobeisbol said:
GET MY ACT TOGETHER? WTF!? WHO THE F*** ARE YOU?
Me? I am Lady Pib: Supreme Empress of Stepford, Duchess of Mofongo, Countess of Beer, Honorable Ambassador of Monte Cristi, Royal Overseer of Spanish Grammar, and least importantly, this forum's moderator.

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Pib said:
Me? I am Lady Pib: Supreme Empress of Stepford, Duchess of Mofongo, Countess of Beer, Honorable Ambassador of Monte Cristi, Royal Overseer of Spanish Grammar, and least importantly, this forum's moderator.

MMMMM, I STAND CORRECTED. I SAY NO MORE

Last edited:

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
haitianobeisbol said:
MMMMM, I STAND CORRECTED. I SAY NO MORE

You might want to read through the "rules and regulations" for posting in these forums. Might help you get on the right track... ;)

Apr 26, 2002
Shame. I was hoping to read some educated and non-chauvenistic insight into Dominican and Haitian merengue: Which came first? How did they influence each other? what were the origins? These are complex questions and open to conjecture among music historians. Of course, as always, it would have boiled down to the following:

Poster A: Merengue originated in Haiti and is a completely African rhythm stolen by Dominicans who now claim it as their own.

Poster B: No it didn't. It's 100% pure Spanish and Indian, like us Dominicans.

Poster A: Racist!

Poster B: No talk about race on this board!

And on, and on, and on.

I thought Haitianobeisbol's point about how Dominican merengue has some popularity in Haiti but Haitian merengue has absolutely none in Santo Domingo was interesting and worth exploring, though at the risk of the above result.

Last edited:

thick_neck

*** Sin Bin ***
Apr 6, 2004
Very clever, Porfi...

But you failed to mention the Cubanitos' take on merengue. They would argue--after searching on the 'net--that merengue originated in Cuba with the Upa, then they'll tell us the obligatory "made its way through Puerto Rico" line, and then the Dominicans will feel compelled to bring up Luis Alberti as proof that it originated in el Cibao.

Eventually, long-gone golo will say that merengue is chopo music, and the Sosua expats and wannabes will agree with him.

-The Kid
Tranquilo quieto

haitianobeisbol

Snap... Arrrrrr!
Aug 28, 2004
Porfio_Rubirosa said:
Shame. I was hoping to read some educated and non-chauvenistic insight into Dominican and Haitian merengue: Which came first? How did they influence each other? what were the origins? These are complex questions and open to conjecture among music historians. Of course, as always, it would have boiled down to the following:

Poster A: Merengue originated in Haiti and is a completely African rhythm stolen by Dominicans who now claim it as their own.

Poster B: No it didn't. It's 100% pure Spanish and Indian, like us Dominicans.

Poster A: Racist!

Poster B: No talk about race on this board!

And on, and on, and on.

I thought Haitianobeisbol's point about how Dominican merengue has some popularity in Haiti but Haitian merengue has absolutely none in Santo Domingo was interesting and worth exploring, though at the risk of the above result.

Yea, its true and i found it interesting when i first read up on it. It involves Dominicans as well as the other countries that take credit for the evolution of Merengue whether its Haiti/Africa, or if it cam from Cubans with upa or watever. But i do know that the beats, instruments and rhythms i hear in some haitian music is similar to Merengue.

Status
Not open for further replies.