Weather Advisory Guide (WAG)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Thank you to everybody that contribute to the weather forum. For someone like me, who watches little television and doesn't own a radio, this is vital. I may not even find out a hurricane is coming until the last moment, leaving me without vital supplies, such as beer and ingredients for a sancocho.

I would like, however, to suggest that we implement an easier way of explaining the seriousness of the situation using terms easier to understand than CAT 1 (what's that?) or wind speed (it can't be dangerous if it doesn't go faster than my car). I am really serious about this.

This is my suggestion: In honoring our beloved previous president we can name our system after him (there is a joke to be made here but I can't think of one for the life of me).

Category Hipo 5: Light rain and not really fast wind. Make sure to leave windows closed at home. Warn your boss that you will not show up on that day due to the hurricane. Stock on beer and ingredients for Sancocho.

Category Hipo 4: A lot of rain and strong winds. Don't let the kids play outside. Fasten everything that might be blown during the storm. Warn your boss that you will not show up on that day due to the hurricane. Stock on beer and ingredients for Sancocho.

Category Hipo 3: Will rain cats and dogs. Wind may blow your cat and dog. Suggest a beach day-trip to your mother in law. Warn your boss that you will not show up on that day due to the hurricane. Stock on beer and ingredients for Sancocho.

Category Hipo 2: Will rain like there's no tomorrow. There may be no tomorrow. Get insurance, fast. Warn your boss that you will not show up on that day due to the hurricane. Stock on beer and ingredients for Sancocho.

Category Hipo 1: Panic!

Last edited:

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Pib said:
This is my suggestion: In honoring our beloved previous president we can name our system after him (there is a joke to be made here but I can't think of one for the life of me).

Yeah! the joke is wry humor - on their departure, all hurricanes leave destruction in their wake --- so, I'm in favor of the hippo scale! Somehow it makes sense...

Ken, SaltyDawg - can you do something with this scale?

SaltyDawg

May 10, 2004
www.caribbetech.com
Pib said:
...I would like, however, to suggest that we implement an easier way of explaining the seriousness of the situation using terms easier to understand than CAT 1 (what's that?) or wind speed (it can't be dangerous if it doesn't go faster than my car). I am really serious about this.

Ok, PIB - let me think about this a bit. A good copy righted DR1 Hurricane rating scale that really reminds us of the destruction resulting from "Hurricane" Hipo.

I think we can improve on your suggested scale by finding out how fast YOUR car goes. Like between cruising the neighborhood speed and bank robbery get-away speed. Then we should probably turn your scale up-side down as well so that a Hipo 5 storm is analagous to a Cat 5 storm. Meow!

Here's some ideas:
Hipo 1 - Winds that will blow the washing off the washing line at speeds the same as take off speed for a piper cub.

Hipo 2 - Winds that will blow the roof off a Dominican country house with speeds the same as take off speed of a Lear Jet.

Hipo 3 - Winds that will blow you off your feet and move you about 5 feet away with speed the same as take off speed of an Airbus.

Hipo 4 - Winds that will blow out all the windows in your house and will blow down your out house with speed the same as take off speed of a 747.

Hipo 5 - Evacuate or kiss you a** goodbye with speed the same as a Space Shuttle booster.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
SaltyDawg

Yours sound reasonable and scientific, but it needs improvement. Your scale will be useless if it doesn't tell us exactly how much beer and ingredients for sancocho we should stock. We also need to know how many days we'll miss from work.