Looking for a position teaching English to Orpahns

Mar2win

Apr 17, 2004
Does anyone know of a place in the RD where I can contact someone to work with poor children or orphans to teach them English amd take care of them in exchange for room and board?? Hey Hillibilly, you've been there most of your life, got any ideas???

Can anyone direct me to the proper authorities regarding this matter so that I might submit my CV, and arrange for an interview? Would require any type of address, phone number or e-mail address, thanks.

Last edited:

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
....if you are sincere in this, you could approach the local churches of wherever you hope to stay.

i know this, because at one point i taught a group of about 50 children (for three hours a week), all part of a 'church' community. many used to come with their mothers and fathers as well, but the classes were aimed at the children. i'm not particularly religious, but was asked to do this. i didn't do it for free, the local 'padre' charged a monthly subscription fee, the equivalent of about rd$20 (today) - this was mostly used to buy books and materials and a few bob (to cover travel expenses mostly) for me.

they didn't give me room and board, i didn't need it - but depending how remote from the cities you go (i suppose), anything is possible.
one thing they did do for me (and for them) was arrange a meal at the end of the last class of the month. everyone brought a bowl of food or drink and we used to stuff ourselves. i had forgotten all about this until i read your post.

the churches would also be able direct you to the local orphanages.

i must admit to feeling a little uneasy about this....you have to admit your request is a little strange. i am not suggesting anything devious, but we do get a lot of 'rotten' (to put it mildly) people coming to the dom rep.

wouldn't it be a better idea to contact an official charity group in whatever country you are living in? i'm sure they would give you a much better idea on how to approach this.

Mar2win

Apr 17, 2004
Thank you for your help

I can understand your questioning this concept of someone wanting to just go and help children. I feel like I have done my thing here in NA, raised two happy, healthy sucessful children, worked really hard all my life, all the while always being involved in devoting a great deal of time to chairity both here and the Caribbean. Just want to be away from the rat race and having some peace of mind.

bochinche said:
....if you are sincere in this, you could approach the local churches of wherever you hope to stay.

i know this, because at one point i taught a group of about 50 children (for three hours a week), all part of a 'church' community. many used to come with their mothers and fathers as well, but the classes were aimed at the children. i'm not particularly religious, but was asked to do this. i didn't do it for free, the local 'padre' charged a monthly subscription fee, the equivalent of about rd$20 (today) - this was mostly used to buy books and materials and a few bob (to cover travel expenses mostly) for me.

they didn't give me room and board, i didn't need it - but depending how remote from the cities you go (i suppose), anything is possible.
one thing they did do for me (and for them) was arrange a meal at the end of the last class of the month. everyone brought a bowl of food or drink and we used to stuff ourselves. i had forgotten all about this until i read your post.

the churches would also be able direct you to the local orphanages.

i must admit to feeling a little uneasy about this....you have to admit your request is a little strange. i am not suggesting anything devious, but we do get a lot of 'rotten' (to put it mildly) people coming to the dom rep.

wouldn't it be a better idea to contact an official charity group in whatever country you are living in? i'm sure they would give you a much better idea on how to approach this.