DAMAJAGUA falls

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
hi there,
i did a search and read countless posts about the DAMAJAGUA falls but didnt find a couple answers i need. is it possible to do the trip on your own....meaning which getting a taxi or something from cabarete to take you there, hiring a guide to help you up and down, and gettting another taxi to bring you back. how much would the taxi and guide at the falls be? i know about iguana mama but i was wondering if there was a cheaper way to do it then $60 per person with the tour???

and i was wondering if there was anything good going on by the way of baseball during the middle of september??? i dont think their major league season has started by then...but any other ideas for catching a good game??? oh, and something in a relatively close proximity to cabarete.

thanks!

sam

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Applause for you search

However, the $60 is relatively cheap. A taxi from Cabarete will cost you big bucks (Most likely more than $60 for the day)

Besides, if you did read the best posts, you wouldn't want to miss all the "fun" that the other, less athletic, tourists go through, would you?

And as for [/]beisbol[/i] in Septiembre? Sorry, the Baseball season starts Oct 21 or close to it.

HB:D

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Hillbilly said:
And as for [/]beisbol[/i] in Septiembre? Sorry, the Baseball season starts Oct 21 or close to it.

HB:D

HB: Is the summer league still going or did they close down? I used to love that league. This is where you get to see the prospects before they become huge stars. My favorite team was the La Vega Indians....Son los indioooooossss!!!

appleman

Dec 18, 2003
samara131 said:
hi there,
i did a search and read countless posts about the DAMAJAGUA falls but didnt find a couple answers i need. is it possible to do the trip on your own....meaning which getting a taxi or something from cabarete to take you there, hiring a guide to help you up and down, and gettting another taxi to bring you back. how much would the taxi and guide at the falls be? i know about iguana mama but i was wondering if there was a cheaper way to do it then $60 per person with the tour???

sam

If you are comfortable with driving, you could rent a motorcycle in Cabarete and ride to Imbert. The rental will cost about $20 to 25 USD for the day. There are freelance guides by the highway that will take you up the falls. They will tell you to pay "what you feel its worth" (then will look like they expected more when you pay them), so try to negotiate a firm price ahead of time.

But when you add up the cost of the bike and the guide and the hassle of driving and finding the place, you really are not saving that much.

Bob H.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Summer league

As far as I know it is still going on. It certainly does not get much ink in the papers, unless it is a really slow day.

HB :D

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
thanks for all your responses.
im bummed about it not being baseball season. it must be great to see a game down there. so much damn talent. i was hopin to scout some new guys for my ever sucking mets :ermm:
and on the falls.....i dont know about renting a motorcycle. not much experience on those and from what it sounds like, the dr streets are not the greatest place to learn. although the one time i did drive one it was on the streets of manhatten.....ok ok it was at 4 in the morning and it wasnt terribly busy.
what about a scooter??? or is it too far from cabarete? maybe a car then. how much is a guide....more than like say $30???
i assume its pretty rural and not the kind of place to hail a cab. can we hire a taxi to take us out there and then ask him to come back at a certain time??
i just thought it might be fun to do it on our own. and maybe for cheaper than the $120 bucks!
thanks!
samara

duhtree

Jun 2, 2003
I just returned from the R.D. and also wanted to do the falls.
I went to several tour outfits, thinking that would be the easiest way.
1. none of the tour agencies actually do the waterfalls any more. They load you into a safari truck; drive you there and around the area and then return.
My experience: take the bus to POP ( approx. $2.oo ); than take the bus to Imbert( another $2.00 ) letting the driver/starter know you want to go to the falls. Get off and pick a guide. They are friendly, helpful and informative. $ 5-10 dollars is more than adequate. Pack a sandwich and water because you will be working. It's a nice hike and the Falls themselves are a work out but fun. It will depend some what on if there was much rain or not. Starting about 8 a.m. you should be back by 1-2 in the afternoon.
Wear deck shoes or appropriate footwear. Use ziplock baggies for your things.
Have fun and take pictures. John

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
duhtree said:
My experience: take the bus to POP ( approx. $2.oo ); than take the bus to Imbert( another $2.00 ) letting the driver/starter know you want to go to the falls. Get off and pick a guide. They are friendly, helpful and informative. $ 5-10 dollars is more than adequate. John

hey,
thanks for the response. thats exactly what i wanted to hear. could you tell me exactly where to catch these buses? are they the public buses? and about how far a trip is it? thanks.
sam

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
duhtree said:
I went to several tour outfits, thinking that would be the easiest way.
1. none of the tour agencies actually do the waterfalls any more. They load you into a safari truck; drive you there and around the area and then return.

Where were you staying? Which tour companies did you ask?

When we went in June to Playa Dorada, the waterfall trip was still one of the most popular and they were still going up the first 7.

Keith&Cris

Aug 22, 2002
www.keithbroad.com
You gotta do 'em!

The Damajagua Falls was absolutely one of the best trips we made! Swimming the crevases to the 7 falls was amazing, and sliding back down the chutes was fantastic! I have a scar on my left arm from banging it on the side of one of the rock shutes. This scar ranks amoung the best souvenirs from my DR vacation!!! You can't get up each of the falls without guides hauling you up (except the first one which has a nice ladder), so doing it yourself is not possible. Spend the money... it's worth it, and you contribute to the DR economy. Buck up! It's less than you would spend to take your girlfriend (or she would spend to take you, her girlfriend, you that is, since like she's your girlfriend and you're her girlfriend, and, and ..... :lick: whatever!!) out for a decent meal at home. :)

Last edited:

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
The Damajagua Falls is a great experience!! Without the help of those young guides it is impossible to go up those 7 levels. You need their help to get up to next level through the cascade, except the first level.

The guides do a great job and they also know the value of their job. I was amazed that such a young boy is able to "lift up" big fat persons to the next level.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Chareena said:
The guides do a great job and they also know the value of their job. I was amazed that such a young boy is able to "lift up" big fat persons to the next level.

I don't know where the guides get their strength from. One of these guides at 10 or 11 stone easily lifts up 16 'stoners'. They are definately worth a good tip!

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
tired_boy said:
I don't know where the guides get their strength from. One of these guides at 10 or 11 stone easily lifts up 16 'stoners'. They are definately worth a good tip!

I don't know how old these guides are, but when I was there they looked like teenagers. Yes, they are worth a good tip.

One couple gave these guides a tip, which in their opinion was too small and the guides returned it to the couple.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
Chareena said:
I don't know how old these guides are, but when I was there they looked like teenagers. Yes, they are worth a good tip.

One couple gave these guides a tip, which in their opinion was too small and the guides returned it to the couple.

I have been to these waterfalls three times now. We have always had different guides, sometimes we have had guides in their late twenties or older but on some occasions they were 18 / 19 yr old. They pull everyone up there and do it barefoot sometimes, its so funny to see some of the tourists crossing the stream at the beginning and moaning and whining because they have a few pebbles in their sandals. :)

It must have been a small tip for it to be handed back!

samara131

Aug 27, 2004
Keith&Cris said:
The Damajagua Falls was absolutely one of the best trips we made! Swimming the crevases to the 7 falls was amazing, and sliding back down the chutes was fantastic! I have a scar on my left arm from banging it on the side of one of the rock shutes. This scar ranks amoung the best souvenirs from my DR vacation!!! You can't get up each of the falls without guides hauling you up (except the first one which has a nice ladder), so doing it yourself is not possible. Spend the money... it's worth it, and you contribute to the DR economy. Buck up! It's less than you would spend to take your girlfriend (or she would spend to take you, her girlfriend, you that is, since like she's your girlfriend and you're her girlfriend, and, and ..... :lick: whatever!!) out for a decent meal at home. :)

i know, i know. i am the "frugal" one. i think $120 bucks is a lot of money to go hiking and jumping off some falls...just because we do it around here all the time at swim holes for free. i know its a different situation, but still. i also prefer to do things on my own then with a big group, like the people who complain they got rocks in their sandals.

i think some of you are misunderstanding. i dont want to do this completely alone....i of course will hire a guide that, i hear, are plentiful around the falls. im not into the paralysis thing;) i just would preferably not want to go on a big tour. i like to have my own little adventures.

i was just wondering if their was a cheap way to get their and back???

shoot, i forgot the persons name....but whoever you are that took the buses their....which buses are these??? and how do i catch them???

thanks,
samara

Scoobster

Sep 30, 2003
A most EXCELLENT adventure!

Yes...this is one that should be experainced by all who travel to the wonderful DR!
We were fortunate enough to have taken this tour as part of the "Dominican Discovery" tour, booked through Sunquest at the Riu Merengue.
'Our guide was amazing...Kelly...and yes, the gentlemen who assisted the people at the falls seemed to be younger, and boy did they have to work.
They are well deserving of a generous tip...as we did.
This was actually where I personally learned to swim...a hell of a way to do it...but what ta heck...IT WAS AMAZING!
For those of you who are thinking about it, its well worth the money to take the tour...and really, when they offer you to purchase the "VIDEO"...get a group together...buy one copy, and copy that...if you do not wish to pay for it all yourself...because you will watch it over and over again.
Just my 2 cents (CDN) worth...LOL

Cheers
Jimmy

PCDR

Sep 6, 2004
Hello there,
I'm actually a Peace Corps volunteer working with the Guide Association at Rio Damajagua. While you can do the trip on your own, it is very difficult. The best thing to do if you do not want to go with a guided tour is either to hire a taxi (expensive) or go by public transportation to Imbert and catch a motorcycle there to the falls. It is virtually impossible to climb the falls on your own if you don't know what you're doing, so I would strongly suggest hiring a guide. $5-10 US is certainly an adequate tip for the first 7 Falls (the typical tourist trip), but if you'd like to continue on up to the 27th, look to give at least $10. There is no set price, however. Look for a website about the Damajagua Falls to be up and running in the next couple of weeks at www.27Charcos.com. Hope this helps.

PCDR

samara131 said:
hi there,

and i was wondering if there was anything good going on by the way of baseball during the middle of september??? i dont think their major league season has started by then...but any other ideas for catching a good game??? oh, and something in a relatively close proximity to cabarete.

thanks!

sam